Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Ultima Wiring Harness on an '81 FLT rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
jwcholland
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima Wiring Harness on an '81 FLT rebuild

Good afternoon all,

I have been lurking on this board for quite a while, and gleaning a lot of useful information regarding my first build. It's been a labor of love that is finally getting to a point where I will begin my final build in the very near future.

The previous owner was in the process of customizing it when he passed away unexpectedly. He was presumably working toward a custom single tourer - I'm heading in a different direction, sort of an FXR bagger. The driver's seat area of the frame has been dropped ~2.5" (custom seat), and the rake angle measures 32, which I believe is not original (new triple trees and +4" tubes to sit level). I've had the frame checked, and it's all square, so I'm not overly worried, although I will be paying extra attention when I get it on the road to see if it feels strange, but I digress.

My question is this - I want to upgrade the lights, customize the tail lights (LEDs), etc. The original wiring harness is cut into about 4 pieces, presumably done at original dis-assembly, and since I am installing stretched fat-bobs, dash with gauges, and dumping the fixed fairing, the original harness seems a little daunting given the number of wires, etc. In the vast experience on these boards, has anyone used the Ultima Wiring Harness on a shovel with any success? I'm looking at the one with the LEDs for diagnostics, etc. It just seems like it sounds too easy to use, which usually raises a red flag for me..the wiring is really the only thing that is causing trepidation at this point even though it's at least a few months away.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am looking forward to your opinions/experience to help guide me.

Thanks,
J.C.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM
jwcholland
Novice

OK, I'm a dipstick...I realized that if I searched the forums, I may find some info relating to my question. Lo and behold, I did find where Tom84FXST responded to a question back in the winter, which also answered my question.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Welcome to the board bro and no question asked is a dumb one only ones that didn't get asked that ended in " Aw **** " .

Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
jwcholland
Novice

Thanks man. I try to avoid the "Aw ****" as much as possible, although when I remembered I could search, it was certainly one of those dreaded moments.