Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Age-old oil leak around transmission output

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Panshovevo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A knowledgeable and experienced friend recently recommended silicone on the splines behind the sprocket, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 AM
DixinTex
Advanced

readin through and saw ya problem...besides the large tran housing seal behind sprocket, there is a small seal that goes over mainshaft into end of main drive gear..jp cycles part #6200270...this seals the main drive gear-main shaft where the other seals the maindrive gear and housing..replace these seals...there will be no leak..hope this helps ya ....dix

Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Panshovevo
A knowledgeable and experienced friend recently recommended silicone on the splines behind the sprocket, but I haven't tried it yet.
Not the usual type silicon , use a small smear of Ultra gray on the back of the sprocket you don't need much to do the job .

PS I also seal the outside of the counter shaft end with this stuff too , just clean it good and wipe it flush .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-15-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
carbide
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a fellow from a site i cannot mention ..............has a cure to completely eliminate the leak that is spoken of.Too bad we all cannot get along

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (08-05-2022)
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 PM
John1957
6th Gear

I have a 1983 fxsb with the same problem with the pulley wobble and oil leak . I have never had it apart and was wondering if the main shaft has a bushing or does it have a race and bearing I've heard both and JP cycles shows it to have the race and bushing will replacing this solve my oil leak thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 02:59 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

--- http://shovelhead.us/pics/sheets/leakingtranny.pdf -- ask on the shovelhead.us site this is a dude named saddlebagrail -- I installed his spacer with the "O" ring almost 4 years ago -- no more leaks to date --

also the "supernut" is wider than the regular nut and "may" (99% of the time) hit the inner primary seal -- if your supernut comes with that black seal it will come out -- I use a cam seal the steel ones they stay put -- I run a belt so oil lean is non exsistant as no primary oil bath -- I also don't use the lock tab between the supernut and the sprocket as the "O" ring on the supernut seals to the lock tab but it "can" leak between the lock tab and the sprocket -- put a dab of hylomar on the supernut "O" ring and red locktite on the threads -- never had one back off --

--- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shovelhead-P...item27d804cd1c ----

Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

this is it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shovelhead-P...item27d804cd1c

I made my own with his measurements... but have not ridden the bike enough to say I did it right

Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM
bsteve
1st Gear

I looked on youtube, shovelhead transmission oil leak fix or something like that, he took a spacer and cut a o-ring groove inside and towards the back of the bushing, slid it over the splines and seated it and no leaks, I put one on my bike, they sell them on ebay for around 50.00, I have an old 4-speed with a 3" belt drive, I didn't do anything to the bushing, it leaks a little once and a while, I run the red trans oil so I can tell the difference between it and engine oil.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:14 PM
The old guy
Intermediate

I found some Pixi dust -[ looks a lot like holographic metallic dust for decoration ]] --I sprinkle it around my work area and it keeps those pixie's from taking parts away to never to be seen land --- It does not work on parts gremlins --they just eat parts as they fall

Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by The old guy
I found some Pixi dust -[ looks a lot like holographic metallic dust for decoration ]] --I sprinkle it around my work area and it keeps those pixie's from taking parts away to never to be seen land --- It does not work on parts gremlins --they just eat parts as they fall

being a small town of 800 and having snow 10 feet deep all winter does not make anyone an expert on what works with pixy dust and what dont -

the race with the o ring does // but andrews Hi gear already has the groove cut in the gear as it was something harley missed and andrews has its own style of main bushing as well

but once the Hi gear bushing wears out no o ring will stop it from leaking but up until that time it does stop the dribble

Quick Reply: Age-old oil leak around transmission output