Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Fixing up the old Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts
Default Fixing up the old Shovelhead

I will be adding some pics and description of what I have to do to get this old girl back on the road and reliable. First thing I had to do was get a battery. I have the privilege of knowing an old timer that has tons of old parts and n.o.s parts. This cost $65. I know, cheap, it was brand new in a HD box. It needed the band type seals for the intake to the heads, and the carb was a mess. The lock bolt for the throttle cable was broke off, so he gave me and old zenith body with a decent throttle shaft. Swapped that and added the chrome throttle cable holder. Next installed n.o.s. choke cable. Next was to install new ignition switch, old one worked but didn't have the keys.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Had to bend a brake line, got a 40" from Autozone to go with the 18" apes.
Since someone put on LED turn signals, I had to change the flasher to electronic. The flash now if you hold the button but don't stay on my themselves. I have to get a load resistor of some sorts. Have to add the kick pedal. A buddy of mine traded me a cool chrome one, just need to put a copper washer to make it stay put when riding.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

The rear exhaust flange is bent and leaking exhaust. Have some new gaskets, will try to straighten. Changing the full fender back to the FXS fender. More later.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

That is an FXWG rear fender and will require the correct Struts.
And If those are Band type Seals on the manifold...Those clamps are for O-Ring Type...
Gonna give ya problems...
Have ya some fun doin it, I wouldn't hurry the Process!!!

Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for that info. I have the O-rings. Didn't know there was a difference. I will switch them out.
I saw some 79 FXS with that type of fender. Did they come with bobbed fender?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

OK...A '79, FXS, is a Super Glide. Rear fender alot like a Sportster...FXWG or Wide Glide was the next year and came with the type fender you show. The FXWG Struts are different from both FL and FX SuperGlide. Were there "Bobbed" fenders for Superglides??? Prolly...IDK.Not from the MoCo tho.
Now...Does that '79 have O-ring Heads? or are they Rubberband Heads? Not really interchangeable, Tho many argue about it...it is Best to do it the way the MoCo Did it..Less Problems...If it has O-ring heads, and you have New O-rings...Then those clamps are OK.

I'm tempted to think that bike was originally a FL. But I can't see the #'s from here...
Either way someone spend a Couple bucks on it...
That Adjustable main jet Bendix...with a "1200" Ham Can will be Neat!!!
Maybe a Real Exhaust and away ya go!!!

Edit; If ya got a shot of those tanks top down...I would like to see it...Kinda looks like 3 1/2 gallon bobs from where I sit..
FXS Stuff...

Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,837 Likes on 17,455 Posts

One that rear pipe make sure it's supported well on the rear not on the head , badly aligned and loose support brackets will vibrate the bolt out of the head. Pull the pipe use a wire wheel on the drill and clean the port out on the head and the top of the pipe, use the copper gaskets or the metal ring ones not the old garlock graphite type and I use permatex Ultra gray high temp silicon on them. Give the inside of the head port a smear , on the pipe & gasket and bolt it up, wipe off the excess and let sit over night. I've had bikes loose the bolt and the pipes not fall off using that stuff and no more leaks.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

So I got the tanks and the dash back on, do they look like 3.5 gal? I got the battery box cover on, but had to bungie because of the 100's of nuts I have, I don't have a fine thread for the strap. Got the Aircleaner on, for some reason I had a chrome cover bolt. I will be working on the pipe and getting the front brakes bled. Now the black primer fender, has holes for a rear fender tip, is this a FL fender? The blue one is it a Wide Glide?

Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Old 06-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

That Black rear fender is Not OE to a ['70's] shovel FLH. Either later model or it is Aftermarket.
The Blue fender may be OE, but, I doubt it..There just weren't as Many FXWG's as there seems to be Rear Fenders!!!!!!
Only holding the Correct Fender struts to the Fender will work for me to find out what is what!!!
I can get measurements if needed...
The Tank may be 3 1/2's if I had a better look at the area beside the Caps...maybe I could tell ya. 5's are farther from cap to side than 3 1/2's...

Edit to add; I hope there is a K&N behind that Filter cover, and...That exposed braided line is going to Gnaw thru anything it contacts....

Quick Reply: Fixing up the old Shovelhead