Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1978 FXE UPGRADE

Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 AM
firstladyhd78
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 FXE UPGRADE

I'm planning to make some changes to my 1978 FXE. I'm going to run a S&S Super E carburetor. I'm still trying to decide on my best option for an exhaust system. If I upgrade to a single fireignition, either aDyna 2000 I Digital Ignition or a Crane Hi Output Ignition System. Can you use Jim's Shovel Power Glide Billet Tappet Block Kitwith the Andrews B camor do I need to go with the AndrewsAB? Will I need to change my rocker arms along with all this? I'm going to change my valve springs and collars. My cylinders and heads seem to be in good shape, I don't think I'll need to bore the cylinders or do any head work at this time. I'll be doing mostly highway riding and some country roads. I had to trike my bike, and I need more powerto pull the extra weight. I've owned this bike for 17 years.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. MAKING SOME DIFFERENT PLANS.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 AM
tedali2004
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1978 FXE - Help on upgrade project

Give us an idea of how you want to ride this bike. City, Highway, drag strip.....Do you want it to do everything well or be great a something specific? The S&S super E is a good carb. out of the box for stock and mild engines. Sometimes rejetting is needed. If you build bigger that 90+ inches you can consider the Super G. The G will work on radical smaller V-twins, but sacrifices low end street manners. I suggest high flow mufflers or tubable baffles. Those give smoother power than drag pipes, but for plain loud sound nothing beats short drags.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: firstladyhd78

[sm=biker.gif]I'm planning to make some changes to my 1978 FXE. I'm going to run a S&S Super E carburetor. I'm still trying to decide on my best option for a performance exhaust system. I am planning to upgade to a single fire ignition, either aDyna 2000 I Digital Ignition or a Crane Hi Output Ignition System, along with a performance coils& plug wires. I'm also planning to change to a performance cam, I'm considering either a Andrews A or B, or a Crane 288B or 308B. I'm sureI will also need to make changes to my pushrods and lifters. I'm really not planning to do anything as far as Big Bore or Head work.
“firstladyhd78”

How is the basic engine ? know how many miles on it ? are you the original owner ? did you do a compression test making sure you have something worth making some changes too ? I hope sometime in it’s life it had a top end job ? remember that engine was built for lead gas ! the crap we pump now will eat them up you need hared valves and seats, the top end job would do loads more good than hanging on this and that, Super E is way more carburetor until you get up to the middle high 90’s ci and near 90 hp, single fire ignition is the way to go, any of the two you mention are great additions as for the wires I like Magnecor 8.5mm I head a lot about them I just got a set for my re-build cost $26. + $6 shipping, you can get them in 7, 8 and 8.5mm the part number of my set is 2501, KV85 your have to deal right with them try their web site www.magnecor.com as for the cam just don’t go to high/wild remember, shovels have those weird pushrod angle : - )

cj

Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 AM
scootertrash
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an early '78.It runs better with a cv carb then the S&S. I tried several electronic ignitions and keep going back to points. if you have harley electronic,ditch it for either of the 2 you mentioned.the 'b' grind is a great cam for your bike but will require solid lifters. andrews makes a 'bh' grind that is almost as good and still uses the hydraulic lifters.Like the others said;it all depends on how you want to ride, your mechanical skill level for maintaining it;and your budjet. I bought a brand new take off cv carb at the dealer for 50 bucks and the bike starts easier and will out run the S&S in all but top speed. I lost maybe 5 mph.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: scootertrash

I have an early '78.It runs better with a cv carb then the S&S. I tried several electronic ignitions and keep going back to points. if you have harley electronic,ditch it for either of the 2 you mentioned.the 'b' grind is a great cam for your bike but will require solid lifters. andrews makes a 'bh' grind that is almost as good and still uses the hydraulic lifters.Like the others said;it all depends on how you want to ride, your mechanical skill level for maintaining it;and your budjet. I bought a brand new take off cv carb at the dealer for 50 bucks and the bike starts easier and will out run the S&S in all but top speed. I lost maybe 5 mph.
scootertrash

“I have an early '78.It runs better with a cv carb then the S&S.”

You bring up a good point, IMO hd cv carb are great, until this overhaul I ran my stock carb on an ’81, I wish I had a buck for all the people telling me over the years, get an S&S ! I say why ? I don’t need it, this is all the carb I need, I don’t starve for gas, I get 52 MPG (easy on the twist) it’s only been punched out twice 10 each time, basically stock ! I’ve known people who switch to S&S their gas mileage drop sometimes 10 miles per ! but in the back of my head, I was already thinking about going with a CV, there are a lot around, wait get a good one.

“ I tried several electronic ignitions and keep going back to points. if you have harley electronic,ditch it for either of the 2 you mentioned.”

Really, you ditch it ? I had the same package I think 2nd generation on my model, never had a single problem in over 20 some years ! man screw them points from day one they wear and keep on wearing out, I paid my dues on the side of the road,with a spare set and a matchbook cover.

“the 'b' grind is a great cam for your bike but will require solid lifters. andrews makes a 'bh' grind that is almost as good and still uses the hydraulic lifters.Like the others said;it all depends on how you want to ride, your mechanical skill level for maintaining it;and your budjet. I bought a brand new take off cv carb at the dealer for 50 bucks and the bike starts easier and will out run the S&S in all but top speed. I lost maybe 5 mph.”

I don’t know before I drop a dime into it I want to know what I have first, I don’t think it’s the original owner.

Hay, take care

cj