Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1980 fxs low rider oil pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM
HarleyFXST05
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 fxs low rider oil pump problems

I have a 1980 fxs low rider. It wasnt getting much oil to the top end so i pulled the oil pump apart and the gaskets where bad put new gaskets on and now it will spit oil out of the over flow tube any ideas.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Not sure what you mean when you say "overflow tube". You saying it is coming out of the filler neck? If so you got oil coming back to the tank but it is not feeding to the motor.

Sure you have the right cover gasket and body gasket? Did you torque the bolts down the correct number of inch pounds? Too much and it binds the gears.

Definitely need to pull it apart and check for blocked passageways in the pump, make sure the keys on the shaft are positioned correctly (manual in bold says to make sure the shaft is not allowed to be pushed into gear case during disassembly because doing so would allow the key to fall off shaft and into case).

Might be time to inspect the check ball as well.

And this is easily done...any chance you somehow crimped a feed line

Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM
HarleyFXST05
1st Gear

its a vent tube on the bottom the check ball spring and cap are new. it spits oil out towards the back tire and is pumping a high volume out in a matter of minutes it pumped like 2 quarts out

Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 PM
HarleyFXST05
1st Gear

I did some more playing with it i cranked it and it spit out some oil then stopped i shut it off and checked the oil then cranked it to pull it in my shop and it left a trail of oil but the oil looks like its got air in it

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

First make sure you got the lines back on in the right place and non are crimped or blocked if not ,

Sounds like you got the wrong gasket or blocked a port some how , only way one will do that is when the pressure relief overloads bad and isn't dumping back to the tank ( IE blocked pressure port on case ) . Pump is coming back off and you need to check and be real sure the new gasket does not cover any of the 1/8" ports on the cases and both the keys are in the gears , that's an easy one to miss .

S&S has a very good tech paper on oil pumps that shows the ports on which years .

Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
HarleyFXST05
1st Gear

ok im going to check my oil lines again tomorrow to make sure they are routed right and make sure none are clogged i originally had a problem with very little oil to the top end and oil light staying on. the pump was leaking so i pulled it off and put new gaskets but didnt have them lined up right and still had the same issue but with a leak. A friend of mine bought me an oil pump as a gift but it looked used and like it was wrong so i just used the gaskets from it i didnt have the issue before installing them just very little pressure to the top end

Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

it sounds silly to say this, but I just replaced all the oil lines on an 81 FLT, and had tons of oil coming out of the air cleaner. I found out after I had already known, that I didn't check the oil HOT, instead cold, and over filled everything. I'd say almost a 2 quarts over. Like I said, check to make sure it's filled with the right amount of oil, and not too much.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

You don't need much oil in the upper end , set up proper there's only a .060" hole feeding the rocker box's you really don't want any more . As long as you can crack the nut on the feed line on the rear rocker box and get oil out at an idle it's doing fine , too much is a bad thing it floods the valve guide area .

The only solid bearing are the pinion bushing & rocker arms in a shovel everything else is roller or ball bearing so the light coming on or a gauge showing zero at an idle is normal . These engines won't hold high oil pressure like an car at idle , you have to get the rpm up a bit .

You have to be careful mixing oil pumps , later model looks the the same but the porting is different and the gaskets will not interchange .

Get the right kit from James and check the pump cover to make sure it's flat , doesn't take much to warp one and leak . If you use gasket sealer use HighTach the spray stuff is best , just coat the gaskets a couple times lightly . No silicon or permatex stuff that can goo things up and pass into the engine .

Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM
HarleyFXST05
1st Gear

ok so i did some more checking and playing around with the bike tonight i cranked it and let it run today it spit a little out the crank case vent but not much or for very long. then the oil pump housing started leaking and i checked i took the rear tapet line loose no oil so i took the pump back off and the gasket seemed to match all oil passages. But as i was trying to take the main gear off to pull the pump housing it seemed to have spun then wouldnt so i took cone nose off and found my oil pump drive gear and my oil pump pinion shaft gear chewed up so i figure that will be the end to my problem with the oil pump but do u know where i can get the replacement gears and what do they mean by red white green all of them i have seen have been calling for a different color. oh and what can i use to get the pinion gear off manual says there is a special tool will a 2 jaw puller work and where can i get the socket for the pinon shaft nut