Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Shovelhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/)
-   -   bad clutch or Tranny? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead/745213-bad-clutch-or-tranny.html)

TwiZted Biker 03-18-2012 10:38 PM

I like your sig line :icon_teeth:

pbsteve 03-18-2012 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 9542444)
I like your sig line :icon_teeth:

haha, thanks, I was getting tired of every other post having to correct someone's correction without realizing there was a mysterious bike in the 80's that started with FL, but werent an FLH, and aren't the same. I suppose I'll have to get used to it, I kinda like having an oddball.

pbsteve 03-22-2012 12:00 PM

Ok, finally had time away from work... by playing hooky, to get back into the bike. Here's what I've been able to find out. The clutch plates were def. sticking, Removed them all, and cleaned them up, they're still in good shape, just stuck after sitting for years. I can now visually see the clutch moving when pulling in the clutch, much better than before. Adjusted the clutch per the harley manual.
Sadly, this did not solve the problem. Putting the bike into 1st or 2nd gear, and she will roll when pushed as if it's in neutral, as if its not in gear at all, and the throttle might as well be decorative at this point. The primary chain does cause the clutch to spin, so I don't think it's stripped out behind, plus there were no metal shavings in the oil.

From talking with a friends brother who's a shovel head guy, he thinks it might be the clutch cable being stretched out. My worry right now is, if I hear it clicking into gear, but with no power going to the back, either the clutch won't disengage, or I'm back to the tranny is stripped out, which would be strange to happen from just sitting.

TwiZted Biker 03-22-2012 04:26 PM

Think not we communicating right here something what your saying isn't adding up a stretched cable would do the opposite of what your describing , it would lock everything up not free wheel it . With the clutch plates out and the bike in gear can you grab just the fingers and roll them ? While doing it work the bike through the gears . Leaving the plates out if you can't roll the hub & fingers while in gear see if you can push the bike , if the hub with the fingers doesn't spin take a look and see if the sprocket the chain rides on is loose . If you can get a screwdriver or something in there and move it that's your problem .

It's something simple your not seeing the trans isn't stripped unless you parked that way , just does not happen .

notlost_nc 03-22-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by pbsteve (Post 9542642)
haha, thanks, I was getting tired of every other post having to correct someone's correction without realizing there was a mysterious bike in the 80's that started with FL, but werent an FLH, and aren't the same. I suppose I'll have to get used to it, I kinda like having an oddball.

In 30yrs not much has changed, the FLTC is still the bastard step-child. Get the parts manual, it'll save you time and you won't have to explain why they can't find what you want in the FLH book.

pbsteve 03-22-2012 07:15 PM

Haha. Once again it's the bastard stepchild of a bastard stepchild. It's actually just an flt. Not an fltc. And I kind of enjoy telling the parts guy to get the other book. But I have ordered one on eBay anyway.

As far as the clutch, When in gear. If I turn the posts in the clutch with the plates removed it will spin the primary chain. In thinking now it must be bad springs or the plates are slipping and even though they look fine. I didn't try moving the back tire though to see if the shell of the clutch moved.

So here's my thoughts, hopefully I understand the clutch enough to be right. The posts in the clutch move the primary, so that's good, no need to worry about that being stripped. If the rear wheel moves the shell the steel discs usually slip into while in any gear, but not in neutral, the drive chain and tranny is also ok, meaning the problem has to be the clutch plates not gripping, and must be the springs or plates. Does that sound about right to you guys?

TwiZted Biker 03-22-2012 07:35 PM

The primary chain should not spin when you turn the clutch hub , with engine off put a socket or wrench on the compensater and see how easy it turns over .

pbsteve 03-22-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 9561149)
The primary chain should not spin when you turn the clutch hub , with engine off put a socket or wrench on the compensater and see how easy it turns over .

Sorry, the beer makes translation into written words backwards. The clutch Shell will make the primary chain move, and it seems it causes the pistons in the engine to move etc. I have to take the primary cover off again to take the plates out, I suspect, and I believe I remember, the hub will move easily regardless of if it is in gear or neutral.

pbsteve 03-23-2012 07:43 PM

ok, Took the clutch apart again, and the hub (the fingers) move freely no matter what gear it is in. I'm at a total loss here, and sadly, cannot find anyone I know who is able to help me diagnose this. As you said, the clutch cable cannot be the problem, I realized that when I was replacing it (which had to be done anyway)

TwiZted Biker 03-23-2012 08:13 PM

Checked the sprocket yet ? If so time to pull the whole deal and inner primary and take a hard look .