Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel Oil pump retaining ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
mdbhunt4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel Oil pump retaining ring

Anyone know a trick for putting the retaining clip back onto the pump driveshaft? Can I replace it with a clip I can use pin pliers with? Enough clearance in pump cover recess?

Taking it off was a chore. Pulled pump, and lapped a new seat for the check ball. Got the body all back together, except for that retaining clip. Little booger!!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

snap ring goes inside the cam galley -- "C" clip goes on the pump between cover and pump body -- is the pump off the engine? is the cam cover off?? -- it is possible to put the gears on and then put the body on -- ya have to be careful of that pump body seal -- ya need a good pick set -- if you push on the shaft it will move into the cam galley -- not much room huh? it can be done -- if your a novice remove the cam cover -- i have done it without removing the cam/lifters,ect ya just have to find that "sweet spot" where you can slip the cover off -- then wedge something to hold the end of the pump shaft and install the pump -- EASY with that seal -- dont wrench those pump body bolts down to hard -- and tighten them in a "X" pattern -- try to find the steel gaskets --

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 PM
mdbhunt4
6th Gear
Default Thanks for advice

It is the c-clip on the pump drive shaft outer holding pump gear in and shaft out. Fully removed pump, did work, am installing it back. Did not affect anything else on the motor.

Thought I might use a external retaining ring with the pin-hole ears. Aught to have enough clearance in the cover shaft-end recess.

Also, thought of shaping a .020 feeler guage to fit the shaft groove, to keep the shaft from slipping back. Then push the c-clip onto the shaft and get it started in the groove. Not really a novice, just looking for a trick if there is one.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

the "C" clip -- put one end on the groove -- then use a 90 degree pick or a long,long mini flat tip screw driver and slip it on the shaft the same for the snap ring i use a 90 degree pick and gently slip it on the shaft -- the "C" clip has to go on the outside between the pump body and the cover in that small hole the eared snap ring wont fit .. perfect time to slip in a no head work cam also --

Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

As has been stated, the C-clip only goes on the outside of the pump shaft, a snap ring will not fit. And when putting it on be sure not to push the shaft in toward the cam chest. There are keys that sit on the shaft. You push in to far and the keys will fall of the shaft.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

had a dude in PA.. he put a shovel oil pump on his pan -- did just what your saying and the key slipped off -- he rode the bike from sellersville to the shore and back -- he came by and said the bike seems to be losing power --- lol lol all the way to the jersey shore and back-- well when i replaced the key the bike smoked like a frieght train -- the push rods were blue on the tips -- lol yeah listen to what panz is saying and be careful -- wedge something between the end of the shaft inside the cam chest and then put the pump on from the outside -- sometimes you can put the whole pump assembled on but most of the time theres not enough room..

Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
mdbhunt4
6th Gear
Default Thanks alot

for all the advice. Used a feeler guage to catch the shaft groove. Just needed that much to get the clip onto the shaft. Don't think I moved the shaft into the crank more than 3/8 inch at any time. Maybe I got lucky. Have a great 4th.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

did that few weeks ago.
I first installe the rings with ears on the pump side, closed everything but did NOT start the bike.
After reading the boards, disassembled the pump and the ring cut a little into the pump body (alu)
Had I started the bike, the ring would not have moved, while the shaft woud have... everyting would have heated up I guess...

:S

Anyway... to install the C-clip, I use a flat screwdriver in teh groove and push the clip with pliers or the flat side of another screwdriver.. easier than I thought!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 PM
OMH
Stage I

on the inner side of the oil pump I set the key and gear with my fingers, on the outer side I used a tweezer to set the key and slid the gear on with my fingers, then I used a small flat file with a point that I slid into the key slot on the gear and pride outward useing the clip groove,, holding it there with my right hand and pushing the c clip on clock wise with my left thumb as far as I could then finish it with a flat screw driver.
I cut a paper plate to slide under the pump to catch the keyway everytime I droped it cause it was a real pain tring to find it on the cement floor

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

they make a tool that installs that no eared ring - i have in the past suffered what most have trying to install that circle clip with out damaging it, and it can only be done if the pump shaft and the pump is in your hand - But the tool lets you do it with the pump in the motor so in a shop its a must -- jz

Quick Reply: Shovel Oil pump retaining ring