Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Full of Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Locadd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full of Fuel

Hi to all,
I have a 1980 74 CU Superglide,
I had trouble getting it to start after it was trailered home a few weeks ago (another story)
It has single fire ignition and has never been a problem to get started. Anyway after kicking the living hell out of it nothing at all.
I then removed the spark plugs to see if it was getting any fuel – the rear cylinder was absolutely full of fuel. After kicking it over for another few times it spewed a **** load of fuel and oil out through the crank case breather all over the garage floor.
After changing the oils and filter and putting the plugs back in she fired up on the first kick like it always did.

So here is the question does anyone know what could have caused the cylinder and crank case to fill up with fuel?
Cheers
Locadd

Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Trash in float bowl holding the needle open most likely. Many petcocks are notorious for passing fuel even in the off position...or not passing enough in the on position.

Last edited by rickss69; 08-22-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rickss69
Trash in float bowl holding the needle open most likely. Many petcocks are notorious for passing fuel even in the off position...or not passing enough in the on position.
Right. BTW, what carb are you running? Some were notorious for dumping fuel like a Bendix, Linkart and early HD's Keihens. The petcock is also a culprit in this crime.
If you drop the bucks and get you a Pingel petcock you can stop that problem. Or you can do like I did years ago and carry a set of vice grips and pinch the line when you stop. (I'm glad I quit doing that). I'm glad the bike didn't start with all that fuel in the low end. You had a potential bomb on your hands if the fuel and fumes had lit off.

Last edited by AlCherry; 08-22-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Locadd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Right. BTW, what carb are you running? Some were notorious for dumping fuel like a Bendix, Linkart and early HD's Keihens. The petcock is also a culprit in this crime.
If you drop the bucks and get you a Pingel petcock you can stop that problem. Or you can do like I did years ago and carry a set of vice grips and pinch the line when you stop. (I'm glad I quit doing that). I'm glad the bike didn't start with all that fuel in the low end. You had a potential bomb on your hands if the fuel and fumes had lit off.
Thanks for the advice guys, I can’t be sure if I had the fuel turned off while the bike was on the trailer, as you stated I am also glad that it didn’t fire up while it had a belly full of fuel as that could have been quite disastrous.
Cheers
locadd