Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

leaking motor sprocket shaft seal

Old 01-21-2007, 05:07 AM
shovelthecoochie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking motor sprocket shaft seal

i closed off my primary on a 79 flh. but oil is getting into the primary. maybe a half a quart after 150 miles. only place it can be coming from is the seal on the motorsprocket shaft , in the left engin case. i have the primary off now and am lookin at it. this engin only has maybe 1,000 miles on it. looks like it will be hell getting the existing seal out and the existing seal is allmost new. i dont want to go through the trouble of changing it if a new one will just leak also. any ideas or thought or experiance with this??? why is an allmost new seal leaking.??? it is currently installed with the seal spring facing toward the engin..

Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: leaking motor sprocket shaft seal

well the spring face should face out. i have a 90 fxsct with a open belt drive and my seal leaks, not that bad though. i watched a mech. install a seal on an old shovel and its the same as a evo. and yes it is a bitch to get out. mine leaks installed either way, guess its blow by. but yours is brand new. try installing it with the spring out. at least thats what the instructions call for. wet clutch=spring out, dry clutch spring side in.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some times the spacer which this seal rides on gets grooved ever so slightly and will leak.Breathing problems will take this seal out everytime.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
shovelthecoochie
Novice

i installed the new seal with the spring facing towards the engine. for one thing,thats how i was allways taught to install seals...second, the seal is a double lipped seal and it should seal eitheir way the same. but, after going to the S&S cycle web site and looking at their directions on how to assemble a long block big twin, they specify that the seal springshould go towards the engin on a semi wet primary (shovel with circulating primary oil) and the seal should face out with a wet primary (sealed primary)... S&S cycle usually knows what they are talking about but, it is a double lip seal and should seal eitheir way. i also replaced the spacer that go's with it. $14.95 for the spacer and space coast harley davidson had one!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 PM
shovelthecoochie
Novice

i have rode the bike (with a new seal and spacer) about 100 miles and i think it is leaking just as bad as it was before. i am gonna try taking the oil filter out and run it like thatand see if that is causing a pressure backup in my engin case.