Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Electrical Troubleshooting No Lights, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Bohemian
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Shovelhead Electrical Troubleshooting No Lights, No Start

so i have no lights, no start, nothing...

With multi-meter in hand I find...

brand new battery, tests fine...

have power to the light bulbs, switches, solenoid, relay, starter etc, can't find any broken, loose wires etc...

been going through the H-D OEM Service Manual, for testing starter, solenoid etc...

and I have run into a bit of a quandary that perhaps someone that has been down this road before can shed some light on...

Chapter 5 Page 5-11 (Service Manual FL/FX Models 1200/1340cc 4-speed 1978 1/2 - 1984 Part No. 99482-84) Verbatim:

Testing the solenoid

It is not necessary to remove the solenoid to test for continuity. Use the following procedure:

Warning

Disconnect the battery cables (negative cable first) to prevent accidental start up of vehicle and possible personal injury.

1. See Figure 5-23. Disconnect wires 1,2,3 from solenoid (all of them).

2. See Figure 5-20. Connect a 12-volt battery with one post to the small diameter solenoid terminal and the second post to the shorter of the two larger diameter solenoid terminals.

I can't get past this part because as soon as I attempt to complete all of step two by connecting both wires as instructed; regardless of order, the solenoid is engaged...

So my question is; is the solenoid fubar? or is there a typo/missing info in the H-D OEM Service Manual? Or?

thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 2,872 Posts

you have 12 volts to the small terminal - and if you do it will be ingaged -

the relay or the starter button for the starter its self is in play or - you have wiring that is not factory correct and that does happen - trace all of the main wiring and be sure not to miss anything i does not matter last week it worked today its not - jz

Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohemian
so i have no lights, no start, nothing...

With multi-meter in hand I find...

brand new battery, tests fine...

have power to the light bulbs, switches, solenoid, relay, starter etc, can't find any broken, loose wires etc...

Check your grounds.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i had a 1972 flh, it only had 1 relay. well actually two, one small black plastic one, that sent power to the engagement solenoid on the primary.. a lot of people will delete the first relay because it will work with a heavy enough starter switch, but will send too much power through the original starter button and burn it up.. if everything worked, then you just lost everything all of a sudden, it sounds like you got a broke wire and got a short. that will blow the circuit breaker as soon as you turn on the switch, and all power will be lost. a loose battery cable will also do the same thing... it is real hard to diag electrical problems remotely.. most shovels have long since been rewired, that leaves room for incorrect wiring,loose connections, inferior parts and wiring... if it is still original wiring, you will run into a lot of problems with broken or worn wires and connections because of the age...
if you suspect there is a broken wire, most times on a motorcycle it happens at the neck from constantly moving..that is the first place to look after checking battery connections.

you could jump the solenoid on the primary, or run a 12v jumper wire to the small post to make sure the engine and starter is turning over rite. if you have power to the components, they should be working.. are you sure the light bulbs and starter arnt burnt up? hooking it up to a 30-60 amp quick charger, or jump starting with a car could fry things fast.

Last edited by j1mmy; 05-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Bohemian
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So let me elaborate a little...

There is no doubt my shovel has been rewired long ago...

Starter is a OEM Hitachi, correct for this bike with the factory plate, etc., passes starter draw test itemized in manual...

There is no circuit breaker, no original relay; it has been replaced by what looks like a fender mounted solenoid on a old ford...

4 connections; two big ones; two small ones...

My original question was the testing as directed by the OEM H-D manual gives me unanticipated results...

To re-cap...
ALL three wires have been removed from OEM Style Solenoid on top of inner primary...

Battery has been disconnected...

As the manual directs; I am using a good external battery fxe size/style, that is not in the bike...

When I connect one post to the small diameter solenoid terminal and (Attempt to connect) the second post to the shorter of the two larger diameter solenoid terminals... the solenoid engages...

So I am looking for some clarity; is the manual wrong here?
Or is my Solenoid toast?
Or?

I am testing the solenoid in isolation; so the rest of the wiring of the bike should be irrelevant unless I am missing something...

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bohemian; 05-27-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents.....This has happened three times all while on the road.First:Hit a large pothole,broke neg. battery cable. Second: Small wire that runs from pos. battery post to relay broke. Third: Kill switch took a dump. All three, no lights no start, nothing...Wiring plays a very important part in completing the circuit..........All your parts can check out fine,but it's that one wire that's frayed, broke or loose that will keep you scratching your head...

Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

You are testing the pull in coil with the test you have performed.
Sounds like the pull in coil is working.