Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Project Shovelhead Street Glide Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts
Default Project Shovelhead Street Glide Part 2

Anyone who followed my first post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shove...eet-glide.html is quite sure I had given up and not going to finish it...but not so...I only work on bikes in the winter...and you don't have a lot of that around here. Got off my butt and finished the frame mods...the last one was to weld a tab on the frame.
I am using a newer batwing with gauges, which means I have to use a newer ignition switch...which will not work with the older frame...simple solution...weld on a tab so the fork lock will work.

With the frame finished it was time to sandblast the frame...I used a cheap pressure blaster from harbor freight...this thing works great...much better than any siphon blaster. I even used "regular" sand from home depot...just have to sift it through a kitchen strainer to get the "rocks" out.

The pressure blaster made quick work of removing the paint...but then I discovered a problem...a crack in the frame.

After looking at it...it was obvious that it was not a stress crack...that section of the frame had filled with water, frozen and busted....compare it to the frame section on the other side.

After welding two different year frames together...fixing that little problem will be a piece of cake. If the weather is nice next weekend I will get the frame painted...and then it will be on... many interesting things coming up so stay tuned. This post will be mostly pictures, so do me a favor...if you use "quote" to reply... delete all the pictures out of the quote, so the same pictures don't get posted over and over again....thanks

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 11-03-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

nice! looking forward to seeing it go together.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I will be checking here every day!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

the time is the thing one needs to do this sort of mod - you are well on your way to a one off machine - lots of luck you seem to have the know how in the right place - my guess you are between wifes hahahahahahaha - johnjzjz

Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet project,, really enjoying watching builds like this one. LOL I have used that same style of sandblaster at my bodyshop for more than 20 years. You can also buy glass beads from harbor freight if you want to blast something with thinner metal. Welds look good !

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad *** project

glad to see your back to the grind on this project. Awesome work

Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
my guess you are between wifes hahahahahahaha -
Haven't had one in 25 years...don't plan on another...lol

What crack?????????

The morfodite frame is painted...I used PPG SPECTRACRON 380 Poly-Iothane HS...this stuff is as tough as any powdercoat and a lot easier to touch up... next tear down trans...powdercoat case...reassemble with 6 speed gearset

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 11-09-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Welcome to winter! I'm really looking forward to seeing how all this comes out (I've got a ' 74 Shovel / Trans / Primary just sitting around looking for a retirement project.)

Thanks again for the excellent posts.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Transmission

OK I am changing to a later trans case with the oil pan on the bottom...to make it easier to move the battery under the seat, and to run later model saddle bags. Another benefit is the pan is below the oil pump...no more wet sumping. I bought a trans,primary,clutch off the same bike from a dis-mantler on ebay...makes life much easier if all this stuff is from the same year as harley was constantly changing little things that will trip you up later.

One of the hardest things about pulling the gear-set is removing the nut off the main drive gear...the correct tool makes this a piece of cake.

The second hardest thing is getting the race off the mainshaft...again the correct tools makes this childs-play.

Out comes the gear-set

I removed the oil pan off the trans to make sure no trash was inside, and it will make it easier to powder-coat. A trip to work to clean the case in the parts washer and the case will be ready to PC.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

This looks like quite the project. I want to see the progress.

Quick Reply: Project Shovelhead Street Glide Part 2