Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Comprehensive list and of shovelhead reliability issues and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Ticked
Stage III
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Comprehensive list and of shovelhead reliability issues and solutions

I've been doing a bit of reading on shovelheads, but have hesitated to make the move. I want a reliable bike that I can drive across the country. I have found many people prefer to say -'If you want a reliable bike don't buy a shovelhead.'

I would very much like to get one of these bikes so that I can tear the bike down to its bits and wrench on it on my kitchen counter if I please, with limited tools to pack around; and because I like them.

My request is specifically to those thoroughly experienced in shovelhead maintenance and modification: What are the issues that lead people into declaring these bikes unreliable? What are the solutions?

Many thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:25 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I think I need another shot........................! Jack, where are you...........?
Sorry Bro, it's just one of those nights............! If you've rode one, you understand:If you haven't ,you will.........! ROTTEN ROB.....

The following 2 users liked this post by ROTTEN ROB:
FLHS1990 (01-30-2024), rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

95% of the problems on shovelheads were sorted out over 30 years ago. if you find a nice running bike, as long as it wasn't built by "drunk bubbas backyard harleys", it is going to be a pretty reliable bike. everything will need regular maintenance. a shovel really isnt much different then an evo. personally,i would recommend running a S&S super E carb, a Dana S ignition and coil, and using a old style Lead acid battery.. that is just what i had great luck with.

rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Partner while that's a hell of an idea you'll just have to wait for my book to come out . There's common little problems and annoyances and there's a dozen ways to fix or work around every one of them time proven from poor broke guy in the backyard to lets spend the savings and do it right . 90% of the repairs & updates I've used fall under the cheaper end . Like Jimmy said sort the little stuff out quick and do a few common sense things and a shovel will treat you well for years .

I build them shovels are my thing have been over 30 years and 90% of the time all the horror stories you hear about are owner induced from outright neglect and running them into the ground or flat out ignorance , seriously not joking . I've put a half million miles on shovels , they can't be that bad .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Hurricane 68 (09-28-2017), rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to agree with twizted biker I to have owned the same shovel for 32 years and know it it inside and out, have I had problems over those years OH YEAH. I could not remember how many times I was on the side of the road but most of those were from my own dumb *** mistakes, not all but most. But you learn from them and best part about a shovel pack the proper tools and your back up running no tow truck just a little sweat and your good to go. If a shovel is where you want to start go for it, nothing will ever compare to the sound of a shovel with straight pipes and I mean nothin.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
built4com4t
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Partner while that's a hell of an idea you'll just have to wait for my book to come out .
"acquisition, training, care and feeding of the domestic shovelhead"

i'll be first in line to buy it.

seriously

rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

ROTTEN ROB --- TAKE YOUR PIC... LOL LOL

Old 11-09-2013, 02:16 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

What are the issues that lead people into declaring these bikes unreliable?

Noob owners who buy one but have no clue which end of a wrench to use on what part.

Owners too cheap to buy the factory manual and parts book.

Prospecftive owners who listen to some schmuck tell them how AMF was the absolute worse thing that ever happened to the Motor Company (because they "claim" they owned an AMF model and were always broke down on the side of the road.

What are the solutions?

Big ears…little mouth

Be/learn to be mechanically inclined because then if you break if down on thge side of the road, more often than not, the fault will rest on you alone.

Get the factory manual and parts book (and read them as well).

Ask questions.

Have a good Inide to do what is beyond your capabilities.

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-09-2013 at 02:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by panz4ever:
FLHS1990 (01-30-2024), lucky23 (10-03-2017), Nick Sorgio (08-07-2020), rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

PANZ

buy an evo and leave the shovels to us.. there only gonna ride them in fair weather -- or only on wed night and stand there and say "I looked in the gas tank today so that makes me a master tech..

"we're going on a "run" sunday but first we will trailer it 300 miles and ride it 25 miles around a state park in full costume..

The following 2 users liked this post by biginchhustler:
Riceburnerfb1 (12-02-2021), rockher_man (08-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

There were factory issues ( early electronic ignitions for example,) that weren't as reliable as they could have been. But a well cared for shovel would have those weak spots remedied by now ( Keihin carbs too.) That leaves you with a pretty reliable bike that requires just regular maintenance. With experience you'll know where your remaining issues are and you'll learn to keep an eye on them.

My shovel had issues, but so did my Evos and even my Twin Cam. I know what those issues were and I kept an eye on them so they never left me stranded. Get to know your bike.

rockher_man (08-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Comprehensive list and of shovelhead reliability issues and solutions