Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM
elmo4fun
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tranny oil

First off don't hate me because I'm a little naive...lol.
This is the first bike I've owned where the tranny is oiled separate from the engine. I have an 80 FLH. How do I change the oil in the tranny an how much of what grade oil do I need to refill it? How often should it be changed?

Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

theres a plug on the right side cover -- that's the fill hole -- under the tranny theres a drain plug

everyone has their choice of oil -- I use 60wt engine oil and 1 ounce of militec 1

most side covers have a allen screw about 3/4 of the way up the side -- open that with the bike level - when the oil drips out the open screw hole its full..

do not fill it all the way up-- oil expands when hot and will cause leaks

no screw? look in the fill hole -- see the oil slinger? fill till it just passes 1/2 way..

Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM
elmo4fun
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thanks. Figured I was just missing something simple. I'm using 60w and a shot of marvels mystery oil.

Last edited by elmo4fun; 07-11-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

For those of you that missed last week's newsletter review of MILITEC-1, I am including the review again this week.
From time to time companies will bring products to me to test for them. Being the inquisitive type, I am usually willing to try something to see if it really works. If it works, I am happy to pass the good products on to you. If it "really" works, I will stand on the desk and shout it out. For this product, I am standing on the desk.

Charlie Mitchell from Custom Performance called me this week and said that he had a new product for me to test that was a metal conditioner called MILITEC-1. He went on to say that when you add MILITEC-1 to your oil, that my engine would produce more horsepower, quiet my engine and make it run smoother. I know what you are thinking as you read this: "I've heard all of this before". Yep, I had too. The first thing that came to mind for me was, another wonder product for engines. For me, a "wonder product" is one that I pay good money for and then "wonder" if it is really working. This time I needed proof before I would be convinced. Charlie said bring your Road Glide down to the shop and I'll prove it to you. I had nothing to lose, so I brought the bike to the shop, Nick put it on the Dyno for three passes and came up with a maximum horsepower of 68.7 hp, a torque reading of 72.8 and a temperature reading on the cylinders of 269 degrees.

Nick then added 4 ounces of MILITEC-1 to my oil and said go ride for about 15 miles and bring it back and we will dyno it again. I rode it 17 miles, came back to the shop, put it on the dyno and the horsepower now registered at 72.2 Hp. and 75.9 torque with cylinder temp of 254 degrees. This was amazing! A full 3.5 horsepower increase (5%) and 3.1 torque increase (4.2%) along with a 15 degree (5%) decrease in temperature. These are horsepower and torque increases that you can feel from the seat. I was absolutely speechless and immediately thought back to all those times I had spent $300-$600 on carburetors and exhaust pipes just with the hope of picking up a 3 or 4 more horsepower. With MILITEC-1 I got 3.5 more HP out of the bike and it only costs $21.95 for an 8 ounce bottle of which you add 4 ounces to your engine oil and 4 ounces to your transmission which helps smooth out the shifting.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

1 ounce to a shovel tranny not 4 -- and I add 1 ounce to any a/c I do in a car -- gets colder faster and flat out gets colder -- yeah I know snake oil.. why would the government use this stuff on weapons and we build the M1117 ASV ya think they would put snake oil in a million dollar ASV?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I would like to see the government technical manual or WMO that this is approved for official use. Some companies stretch the truth in claiming it is the same product as some government specification including a name that sounds like an approved lubricant.
I'm not doubting your veracity or what you observed. I believe the adage, "Trust but verify"

Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

in my shop for whats its worth we use the bel ray 85 / 140 hypoid gear oil only in all the 3 speed 4 / 5 and 6 speeds -- nothing else

Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
I would like to see the government technical manual or WMO that this is approved for official use. Some companies stretch the truth in claiming it is the same product as some government specification including a name that sounds like an approved lubricant.
I'm not doubting your veracity or what you observed. I believe the adage, "Trust but verify"
why don't you just do as this guy did- dyno it-- add militec and re-dyno it -- naaaa its easier to attempt to discredit the "snake oil"

call Textron systems if ya want proof --

---
---

--- http://www.laniganperformance.com/mi...lications.html --

--- http://www.laniganperformance.com/di...lications.html --

Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

As I thought, misleading statements and down right dishonesty. Here it is straight from the Governments mouth. They tested militec betwen 1988 and 2006 and it failed 9 of 11 tests so they cancelled it's NSN and discontinued its use. One of the reasons for discontinuation as an additive was that it contained chlorine and when combined with regular oil caused corrosion.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/100/96233.pdf

Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/LAUGHING%20DOG.gif[/IMG]--- http://militec.blogspot.com/2011/03/...raud-used.html --

we work at TEXTRON we build the M1117 ASV for the government -- odd that as per their instructions we add 36 ounces of militec to both axle assemblies -- the transfer case -- the engine -- the cooling system - the turbocharges are primed with 1 ounce bottles (most stolen by workers) -- I see the cases of 1 ounce bottles and the 55 gal drums and ..well maybe if I look hard enough I can find a story that says the chevy 350 is a junk engine --

"I have been using militec since 2004 the bike I ride has it in it and is now over 5 years old - hmmm no failures -- in our suv 1 ounce in the a/c it now cools 43 from 47 -- the A/C is from 2006 -- even our house unit has it in it -- people we work with ****** the 16 ounce bottles and use it in their cars,trucks, and even 1 dude in his farm equipment - odd the government never issued a statement or stopped us from using it -- hmmm million dollar ASV's -- oh well I find it works and so does everyone else who uses it.. must be us .. I had a big fan one of those huge fans you buy from home depot-- the people threw it away because it locked up --- this was in 2009 -- I use it every summer -- works great -- even left it on by mistake and it got rained on --

"the fan on my home A/C started to make noise - I took the fan off-- flipped it over and got the militec into the bushings - this was 2 summers ago-- as im typing the unit came on -- I could care less what you think about my snake oil -- myself and probably 25 others love it .. so does TEXTRON and our employer U.S. MILITARY .. LOL

Last edited by biginchhustler; 07-14-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: MISSED PRINT

Quick Reply: tranny oil