Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

77 Puking oil and missing line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 Puking oil and missing line?

Hey, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I am somewhat new to working on motorcycles and completely new to working on Harleys.

Today I went for my first ride on my 77 FLH that my dad built when I was little. Just got it registered and insured. Everything was fine until it seemed to slide a couple times, then I noticed oil everywhere. Immediately went home. There is a trail of oil that you can follow half way across town from it puking oil.

Fired it up to see where it was coming from and saw a port on the oil pump that does not have a line on it and it's spraying oil out! I think this might be the breather port, but not entirely sure. In any case, I don't think it should be dumping out that much oil from the breather (even if there is no line). Any ideas what's going on here and how to fix it?

Here's a pic of my bike and a pic of the port on the oil pump.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 AM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

I also noticed earlier that the vent tube coming off of the carb was dripping gas. I shut the fuel off. Just went and checked, no more drips. Decided to check oil (checked it before the ride today and it was full in the tank), couldn't see any in the tank and it's not registering on the dip stick. Plus there is some oil pooled in the exhaust at the tips. So on top of the massive leak, it also looks like it's using alot more oil than I thought.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by bagged92sdime
Hey, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I am somewhat new to working on motorcycles and completely new to working on Harleys.

Today I went for my first ride on my 77 FLH that my dad built when I was little. Just got it registered and insured. Everything was fine until it seemed to slide a couple times, then I noticed oil everywhere. Immediately went home. There is a trail of oil that you can follow half way across town from it puking oil.

Fired it up to see where it was coming from and saw a port on the oil pump that does not have a line on it and it's spraying oil out! I think this might be the breather port, but not entirely sure. In any case, I don't think it should be dumping out that much oil from the breather (even if there is no line). Any ideas what's going on here and how to fix it?

Here's a pic of my bike and a pic of the port on the oil pump.

If it's been sitting for a while, oil has sumped into the crankcase. I'll defer to the experts and there are many, but I believe the hose from the breather should T into the hose to the rear chain oiler

Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Do yourself a favor and check out shovelhead.us
http://shovelhead.us/pics/sheets/idiotoiling.jpg

Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

as a new guy to harleys you will be flamed at - shoveheads are us - lots of jerk offs - some have great info to shair but some are just ********

to answer your question - the pipe fitting that is in the picture is the oil return from the rear of the inner primary - you will need the factorys book and parts maunels to move forward owning a shovel

as i see it the feed is also plugged so you will need to open the derby and see if any oil is in the primary itself - you can cap off the open fitting for now but you might want to do some reading to find out what is up with the system being disconnected

Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
as a new guy to harleys you will be flamed at - shoveheads are us - lots of jerk offs - some have great info to shair but some are just ********

to answer your question - the pipe fitting that is in the picture is the oil return from the rear of the inner primary - you will need the factorys book and parts maunels to move forward owning a shovel

as i see it the feed is also plugged so you will need to open the derby and see if any oil is in the primary itself - you can cap off the open fitting for now but you might want to do some reading to find out what is up with the system being disconnected
Thanks. Yeah, I expect to be flamed a bit. I will pull the derby cover and check things out. Since it has to do with the primary, would it matter that it is a belt drive primary? I will aslo go and find any repair manuals and what not from my moms house. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagged92sdime
Thanks. Yeah, I expect to be flamed a bit. I will pull the derby cover and check things out. Since it has to do with the primary, would it matter that it is a belt drive primary? I will aslo go and find any repair manuals and what not from my moms house. Thanks for the help!
the belt info would have helped to know but now forget looking in the primary as no oil should be in it -

put a rubber plug on the open fitting and see what happens

the belt should be a aftermarket unit as the oil pump is of the wet primary design

Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the belt info would have helped to know but now forget looking in the primary as no oil should be in it -

put a rubber plug on the open fitting and see what happens

the belt should be a aftermarket unit as the oil pump is of the wet primary design
Sorry, forgot to mention that all the stuff that I know is done to the bike is in my signature. I'll cap it and see if that works. I'll throw in some SAE 60 and give it a try!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

[Qad it as it usually has nothing to do with an issueUOTE=bagged92sdime;13168986]Sorry, forgot to mention that all the stuff that I know is done to the bike is in my signature. I'll cap it and see if that works. I'll throw in some SAE 60 and give it a try![/QUOTE]

the sig if fluff i never read them as its usually not part of an issue - in your case it would have helped if i had - and even knowing that i wont read any ones elses hahahahahhah

the 60W is for the motor not your primary as it is dry -- you will need to step it up on some of the things needed to drive a shovel with out wrecking stuff and costing you money you did not have to spend -- get this issue resolved and we can move forward

Just so you know the guys on this site wont tell you **** that is stupid and incorrect in the manner of fixing something and or asking a question for that matter -- you are in the shovel section and the guys are real and very very helpfull and plenty of them to help out -- take what you read as the right course in this forum its policed if a troll should show up
good luck with your new toy hope its all you want it to be - the ones i have owned have been great machines, After getting the who owned it before off of it

Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Default https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608024681973942944&pid=15.1&P=0

Make sure that somebody has not "plugged" the crankcase vent. I have seen some weird stuff happen when uneducated riders or mechanics do this.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6080...4&pid=15.1&P=0

https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608...9&pid=15.1&P=0

Quick Reply: 77 Puking oil and missing line?