General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to quit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 PM
mister Crowley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never!I'm gonna ride on even in the after life

Old 03-19-2016, 11:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Looks like we have a bunch of old geezers on this thread!

I'll be 65 next week and I bought my first motorcycle (Honda CB 175) for my birthday in '69.

My last bike purchase was a '13 CVO Ultra and I plan on keeping it until I need a Tri-Glide for touring and riding two-up (very rarely), but even then I have two other two-wheelers that I can ride locally.

I realize how quickly and drastically that health issues can take someone's life (or lifestyle) so I plan on riding for as long as I can and I plan on enjoying all of my toys for as long as I possibly can.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I"m fortunate that I have no health issues other than slightly high Cholesterol which I'm working on with diet and low dose medication.
I'm still working, play tennis, and have a strength training regime that I follow. Not trying to be another Mr. Olymia, just want to keep myself in reasonable shape. My wife could care less about riding but she does ride occasionally with me and we usually take one long trip a year.
I have no plans on giving up riding any time soon. I'll be 72 this year.
I have to admit that I'd like a bike that's more comfortable for long days but I love my Deuce so it's what I ride.

If we're all honest with ourselves, we know when it's time to quit. It's pretty much not that dependent on age, but on ability.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, bear with me on this. I'm 53, but I've had 2 strokes, have countless post stroke complications, am slowly going blind, and fell on my head and got a concussion recently, and subsequently feel 20-30 years older. I've been put on the no driving list and essentially had the keys to my bike and car taken away from me 4 times. It was just a few days ago that I got my driving privileges back, and I have no idea what my body is going to do to me next. Riding keeps us going. One of my doctors told me to keep riding as long as I can because of the positive experience I get from riding and the whole mind-body relationship. Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise, know when you're too tired to ride, and take a MSF refresher course. If your brain is sharp and you can handle the weight of your bike you can keep riding to an overripe old age.

The following users liked this post:
SamStone (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
I'm sixty years old and I finally got the kids out of college and retired. I've been riding for some 40 years. I found out recently that I have cancer and I am going through chemo treatments. Through it all I have lost a lot of muscle mass. My Fat Bob sits in the garage and I'm hoping that before Summer's over that I could get back on that bike and feel that wind in my face.
Be a fighter! I hope to hear you are back on two wheels again soon.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:00 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Age is just a number. Yesterday, my brother-in-law rode my Honda while I rode my Deuce. He hasn't ridden in a couple of years. We took it easy and had a blast. He will be 75 in Dec. and I will be 67 in August.

Two weeks ago, my BMW K1200RS was purchased by an 82 year old guy, that owns several bikes and rides daily. I saw him a few days later and he said he was having a hard time keeping the bike under 90mph on the interstate. He also has a Honda B6F and another BMW R1200RS.

Personally, I work out at least 3 times a week, and keep my weight where it was 35 yrs ago.

Mostly, luck has a lot to do with things.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:10 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
If we're all honest with ourselves, we know when it's time to quit. It's pretty much not that dependent on age, but on ability.

Great photo of you and your Granddaughter on your Deuce.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:35 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Started riding dirt bikes 1970. Bought my first 1972. I've always had a ride since then. Haven't even thought about the day I hang it up. Turned 60 in February. My job keeps me physically fit. Although I need to write everything down as to remember. As for now, Ride On! JR

Old 03-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Ensleyboy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Well, I'm 70 and still rolling

I had a discectomy and shattered my right kneecap (not motorcycle related) and dropped my soft tail in my driveway twice. I took it to the Harley dealer to sell it and ended up trading it for a Freewheeler. I love it and I hope I can ride on for several more years.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:44 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,276 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Bought my 84 FLH from the original owner back in Flint Michagan. He was a couple of months shy of 90 and decided that it was finally time to stop riding. Got to respect that.

As far as me, I am coming up on 70 and I have always told my wife that when I can no longer start my 49 EL, it will be time to stop. (Figure I can make it into the 90s though.)

Quick Reply: When is it time to quit?