Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC 88 Cam Chane Tensioner Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 AM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i just went with the screaming eagle kit, the whole thing installed was about $1200

Old 06-05-2016, 02:39 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jackpot you are correct my son is definitely on a budget just looking for the best fix on a very tight budget.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:41 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cam tensioners

I did my at 20,000 miles and did not cheap out went in deep and did the upgrade with the heavy duty oil pump also did lifters at this time. Do it once do it right

Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

How does oil pressure go up with tensioner change?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
How does oil pressure go up with tensioner change?
A lot of people believe the TC88 has an insufficient oil pump; when actually in it's early development it had a problem with too much oil pressure in the crank case.

If I were going to install a hydro tensioner kit I would install the higher volume oil pump because there is an additional oil circuit (the two tensioners). When I replace spring loaded tensioner shoes I install a Baisley LMR-2 oil bypass spring which increases oil pressure at idle. In my opinion, nothing more is needed. I learned this from some the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

As far as the Harley hydro conversion kit goes, it retains the link chain on the back side of the cam plate and isn't a proper fix for tensioner wear. Were I going this route I'd build my own kit with conversion cams that used a roller chain on both sides of the cam plate. I didn't understand how Harley's conversion was poorly designed until I had one apart for the first time. For what they want, it's kind of criminal.

The following users liked this post:
GinsengSullivan (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
A lot of people believe the TC88 has an insufficient oil pump; when actually in it's early development it had a problem with too much oil pressure in the crank case.

If I were going to install a hydro tensioner kit I would install the higher volume oil pump because there is an additional oil circuit (the two tensioners). When I replace spring loaded tensioner shoes I install a Baisley LMR-2 oil bypass spring which increases oil pressure at idle. In my opinion, nothing more is needed. I learned this from some the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

As far as the Harley hydro conversion kit goes, it retains the link chain on the back side of the cam plate and isn't a proper fix for tensioner wear. Were I going this route I'd build my own kit with conversion cams that used a roller chain on both sides of the cam plate. I didn't understand how Harley's conversion was poorly designed until I had one apart for the first time. For what they want, it's kind of criminal.

^ This!

Old 06-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,660 Likes on 3,110 Posts

Still running the original OEM oil pump in my 16 year old bike (with 160,000 miles on it.) I didn't even touch it when I did the gear drive cams back in Jan '11 when she had 81,000 miles on the odometer.

Harleys don't need higher pressure. The only benefit that I can surmise would be if it's a hot running bike, circulating oil faster through it might aid in cooling it somewhat more efficiently. (Theoretically.)

Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 PM
St Glide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot of great info on here as usual. I did do the whole HD conversion on my newly acquired 06 Deluxe with 31k miles on it. I spent around 1k doing the whole deal. On my wife's 01 FLSTF I only did the tensioners and it has 60k on it and runs perfect no issues. I have also heard and read the conversion kit is not all that great as well. So it appears my son is only going to do the tensioner (Cyco) and new cam bearings. However we are having trouble finding anyone who actually sells the Cyco tensioners. Any body buy any and from where? As always thanks for all the great 411 guys!

Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Ebay for the Cyco shoes. I have the Cyco pin tool and it makes changing the shoes easier but it's not totally necessary.

Here's a link to an auction of a set with the tool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Twin-...VWs9FJ&vxp=mtr

I'd do the B148 inner bearings and if you're gonna stay with spring tensioners I'd look into the tool that removes the inner with removing the cams from the plate. (link in a post I made above).

Consider the Baisley LMR2 spring. Not necessary but it does increase oil pressure at idle.

Depending on miles maybe lifters, if you have the old B lifters I'd stay with them. What I wouldn't is cut the push rods and install adjustables. Most of the time folks encourage that but it really doesn't save a lot of time and it sure doesn't save any money. Go thru the top and update the breather system in the rocker box with the newer style for like 12 bucks each.

New O rings for the oil pump and gaskets and you're good to go.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts
Default outer shoe

This is my outer tensioner at 35K one third gone.

Quick Reply: TC 88 Cam Chane Tensioner Fix