General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the new "Bumphead" motor going to hit the floors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:53 PM
jakedaniel
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
And I really don't think anyone's gonna go around calling the new motor 'The Milwaukee 8', regardless of what the MOCO calls it.
Then explain why everyone calls an "Evo" an "Evo" and a "Twin Cam" a "Twin Cam"? Sorry I hurt your feelings but my point is proved. This ain't the 30's-mid 80's anymore. Harley already provided you with the names for the Evo and Twin Cam motors and has now provided you with the name for the new motor copyrighted 6 ways to Sunday. You want to try and tack an old-school sounding name on it? Why? Attempting to do that, talking about the "Bubblehead" or "Bumphead" or whatever comes off like you're trying to make the new bikes into something to they are not. Why do people feel the need to do that?

Last edited by jakedaniel; 08-20-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:06 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by jakedaniel
Then explain why everyone calls an "Evo" an "Evo" and a "Twin Cam" a "Twin Cam"? Sorry I hurt your feelings but my point is proved. This ain't the 30's-mid 80's anymore. Harley already provided you with the names for the Evo and Twin Cam motors and has now provided you with the name for the new motor copyrighted 6 ways to Sunday. You want to try and tack an old-school style name on it? Why? Attempting to do that, talking about the "Bubblehead", and whatever else just comes off as looking lame and pathetic. Unless, of course, you really were one of those kids trying to give himself his own nickname in high school.

Bubblehead

Old 08-20-2016, 01:24 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

My local dealer is advertising a 2017 model unveiling party on the 27th.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
jakedaniel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by baka1969
Bubblehead
Milwaukee 8

Last edited by jakedaniel; 08-20-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM
jakedaniel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 6bblbird
Americans have been nicknaming engines for as long as there have been engines! Flathead, nailhead, Mouse motor, Rat Motor, elephant motor, etc,,
Guess what? Your opinion will not change this!
Bubblehead to the front!
WF
The riders haven't nicknamed a Harley Big Twin since the first Evo rolled off the line in 1984. Read up on your Harley history. You just want to hang an old tradition on a bike that the tradition doesn't apply to. That kind feels like Stolen Valor to me. Trying to make something look more " legit" than it really is. Trying to give it "cred", "gravitas", or whatever you want to call it, that it doesn't deserve. Because of course if you hang that on the bike then maybe a little will rub off on you since you're the one riding it? Is that really it? That's seriously how it looks to an old Shovel rider listening to you guys in here dreaming up names to call your new motor while you're sitting belly up to the bar talking to each other in the Starbucks.

Last edited by jakedaniel; 08-20-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

How about Octo(this motor won't get you any more than get you get on your own)*****?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

The riders haven't nicknamed a Harley Big Twin since the first Evo rolled off the line in 1984. Read up on your Harkey history. You just want to hang an old tradition on a bike that the tradition doesn't apply to. That kind feels like Stolen Valor to me. Trying to make something look more " legit" than it really is. Trying to give it "cred", "gravitas", or whatever you want to call it, that it doesn't deserve. Because of course if you hang that on the bike then maybe a little will rub off on you? That's seriously how it looks to an old Shovel rider listening to you guys in here dreaming up names to call the new motor while you're sitting belly up to the bar in the Starbucks.
Twinkie IS the nickname of the Twin Cam.

Bubblehead

Old 08-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,826 Likes on 3,282 Posts

The riders haven't nicknamed a Harley Big Twin since the first Evo rolled off the line in 1984. Read up on your Harley history. You just want to hang an old tradition on a bike that the tradition doesn't apply to. That kind feels like Stolen Valor to me. Trying to make something look more " legit" than it really is. Trying to give it "cred", "gravitas", or whatever you want to call it, that it doesn't deserve. Because of course if you hang that on the bike then maybe a little will rub off on you since you're the one riding it? Is that really it? That's seriously how it looks to an old Shovel rider listening to you guys in here dreaming up names to call your new motor while you're sitting belly up to the bar talking to each other in the Starbucks.

Ever heard of decaf (it's the nickname I give to decaffeinated coffee)?

And while I'm at it - MOOSE KNUCKLE

Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Then explain why everyone calls an "Evo" an "Evo" and a "Twin Cam" a "Twin Cam"? Sorry I hurt your feelings but my point is proved. This ain't the 30's-mid 80's anymore. Harley already provided you with the names for the Evo and Twin Cam motors and has now provided you with the name for the new motor copyrighted 6 ways to Sunday. You want to try and tack an old-school sounding name on it? Why? Attempting to do that, talking about the "Bubblehead" or "Bumphead" or whatever comes off like you're trying to make the new bikes into something to they are not. Why do people feel the need to do that?
Actually, the Evo's full name is Evolution, and a lot of folks called the Twin Cam a Twinkie...so just because the MoCo calls it the Milwaukee 8 doesn't mean the rest of the world will.

No one's trying to 'make the new bikes into tome thing they're not', it's just something we more normal people call 'fun'. Maybe you should try it.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:41 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

We put the "fun" in dysfunction or is it the "F-U" in dysfunction?

Quick Reply: When's the new "Bumphead" motor going to hit the floors?