Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Was The Bike That Inspired You To Buy A Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

No pictures, so my post is not as fun as the others with them...

Back in 1979-80, I was a little kid riding through Oakland with my grandfather while he worked. We stopped on Foothill Blvd in far East Oakland to do an estimate, when a pack of helmet-less guys rode by on the loudest, shiny chunks of chrome and engine. They all stopped in the middle of the two lane road, and backed their bikes to the curb in a line down the street in front of the Oakland 81 club house.

The club aside, the sound I not only heard, but felt inside was enough for me to never shake the endless want for a Harley.

Since then, I was always perk up when I heard one come my way. Life, bills, and responsibilities stood in the way until I finally said f#@k it and went and picked up a Street Bob. I have always liked the minimal look of a rigid bobber, but soon realized my new street bob was never going to be the rigid that I wanted... So functionality took over, and brought me to where I am now. Of course, we all want a rad looking ride, but I always work in functionality when considering a new mod for my bike.

If I had it my way 100 percent, I'd have that rigid sitting next to my Dyna in the garage. For now, my Dyna does everything I want and need it to do.

In my opinion, the Dyna is the best all around platform from HD. From bagger, to bobber... it does it all.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 10-13-2016 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM
jeffr0000
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure there was one particular moment, perhaps a series of events and moments that brought me here. I grew up on a BMX bike, rode it into the dirt, rebuilt it, rode it into the dirt again, rebuilt it again, crashed it, rebuilt it again, etc... it had been my constant companion and ticket to the world up until I was 17, when it was stolen.

I always had eyes for two wheels and loved riding bicycles. First motorcycle I rode was a high-school buddy's Nighthawk. Almost crashed it, didn't really get countersteering yet and the weight and momentum were like nothing I felt before. Gave it back thinking motorcycles were beyond me.

Saw Terminator and instantly desired a Fat Boy. Eventually took a MSF BRC course for fun. Throwing around a Rebel I realized I was actually going to pick up motorcycling pretty well. Ached for that Fat Boy, but knowing I couldn't afford it I never even so much as sat on one. Bought a V-star 1100 classic.

Eventually got around to test riding a Fat Boy. Shouldn't have met my hero, hated it. Figured Harley wasn't for me, but I tried a Heritage Classic later and discovered I liked a bit of ape. I liked that bike, but it was still far more stuff (and money) than I wanted.

Sold the V-star, needed money. No bike for 10 years except one time a rental 03 Wide Glide while on business trip in Cali. Took it on the PCH, learned to lane split. Really enjoyed myself, definitely the the pivotal moment there. I realized I wanted nothing to do with Softails or baggers.

Bought a 15 FXDWG last November, not really the same bike as the OG WG I rode in Cali, but I'm pushing it that direction.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
This one makes me wanna buy a Dyna! Saw it at Cook's Corner.

Beautiful bike...not a Dyna...not even a little bit.

Same thing happened to me. I rode my buddy's FXR Low Rider in '93 and it rocked my world. I'd been all over the country on Hondas and my '73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado, but I'd only ever seen Harley's riding around from a distance. His Harley was like nothing I'd ever ridden. Finally could afford to buy my first in 2004...The Deluxe had just come out and it looked like a Harley did when I was a kid. I bought it not realizing all Harley's are not the same...it was a great bike, but nothing compared to my buddy's old bike (long gone)...I asked him what it was and he mistakenly called it a Dyna low rider....so in '09 I was looking for Dynas...found my Fat Bob, which is a great bike, but it just kept nagging me over the years that I remembered feeling more about that old '92....

I even went and test rode a few mid 90's Dyna Low Riders...nice, but about the same as my Fatbob. The Evo is a different motor for sure, but overall still felt closer to my current bike than my memory of his.

A few years ago he digs up an old photo and I see the triangle frame...that's no Dyna...that's an FXR...well damn...

I was pretty convinced it was just my rose colored memories that was telling me his was bike was so much better than my Dyna, but I had to find out. I searched the classifieds for awhile until I found a fairly stock example and called to take a test ride....

Well, it was all true and I loved it. Different frame, different motor mounts....the old trusty evo...it just felt right. The '92 FXLR is in my garage now and it is my favorite bike by far.

Dynas are great bikes. My Fatbob will never be sold...it's just perfect for what it is. It is just NOT an Evo FXR...can't help that, but it is why I have one and I'm glad I do.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-14-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,310 Likes on 3,033 Posts

WG (98) - it was love at first sight

Still is today

Ghost

Old 10-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I already had a soft tail Evo, and just wanted another different bike. I got it with the '15 FXDL. Night and day difference between the two.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,674 Likes on 799 Posts

In October, 2012 my Road King Custom got totalled as Tropical Storm Sandy flooded me out. The following June I went to Americade at Lake George, NY with an open mind. I rode everything from all the other manufacturers. Then I went to the Harley tent and rode their whole lineup (except the V-Rod. Cannot say why I didn't. Just didn't). I liked the Fatbob's handling but not the forward controls. Liked the Street Bob also but the seat and mini-apes weren't comfortable. It was the Super Glide Custom with mid-controls that caught my fancy. Went home and bought one the next day. No regrets.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM
romac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While riding import bikes for years and always wanting a Harley my dream bike was a Fatboy. I went to a demo day in 2005 and test rode a 06 Black Denim Street Bob. That was it ordered one the next week, after 65000 km of loving that bike I sold it and bought a 2014 Fat Bob.......Love those Dyna's

Rob

Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

For me, I cant keep a Touring bike up as long as I used to (humm, that sounds familiar) and the Dyna is a Harley and much lighter than the RK. Just because I cant keep it up as long as i used to doesn't mean I shouldn't ride...right?. Wait, are we still talking about bikes?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 733 Likes on 406 Posts

For years, when I dreamed of owning a Harley, it was mostly the Softails that I was attracted to. I wasn't too drawn to Dynas until the '06 redesign and the introduction of the Street Bob.

Fast forward a few years when I finally got my finances solid enough to actually buy a Harley, and I spent a fair amount of time on this site looking at different bikes getting ideas. In particular 2 bikes, the Low Rider belonging to WS6 Formula, and a Super Glide belonging to Jpncoast (?) really stood out to me, both featuring a lot of relatively subtle mods, and just really clean, classic looking bikes. I then made a point to ride a Dyna, and was sold.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

I know it isn't a dyna, but close enough. I knew they were similar in the looks department, and no way I could have afforded a decent one when I got my first bike. Seeing the unknown industries videos appealed to the dirt bike rider in me. Has also heavily influenced the modifications I do on my bikes.

Quick Reply: What Was The Bike That Inspired You To Buy A Dyna