General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is too many miles for trade

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,382 Likes on 3,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Well if you rode 75,000 miles on a 2014 you sure got your money's worth!
That is for sure. In 10 years and 3 bikes, I have managed to hit 39000 miles total.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Well that's just it. At 207,000 miles my bike is worth more to me than anyone would pay me for it. Guess I'll have to keep it and go for 300,000 miles.😋

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (11-08-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:22 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

That's a lot of miles my friend - my hats off to you - I've got a 2011 Jeep SRT8 with less miles than that, that I use for work.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

What "Terminal" milage is, with respect to re-sale or trade-in value, has a lot to do with where you live (where the sale or trade-in takes place) and the make and model of the bike. Because of the sunny warm climate here in Southern California, a bike with 75,000+ mles on it, isn't all that unusual. On the other hand . . . try and sell or trade that same bike in South Eastern Pennsylvania where I grew up? Good f'ing luck! That, or buy a Goldwing . . . nobody is even remotely impressed around here, until there is at least 200,000 miles on the clock. Even adding the extended factory warranty, which adds 4 years and unlimited milage, only cost me $400. So when I sell my 2013 Goldwing in 2018 it'll still have a year and unlimited milage remaining on the factory warranty. That pretty much eliminates any buyers concerns about the sort of miles I put on my bikes. Price that agaist what Harley wants for their extended warranty. It'll make you think if/when the two are compared! I love both bikes, but the cost each company charges for their extended warranties, for what are competitve and comparable models, says a lot (I think) about the confidence, or the lack there-of, that each manufaturer has in their product.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:15 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
What "Terminal" milage is, with respect to re-sale or trade-in value, has a lot to do with where you live (where the sale or trade-in takes place) and the make and model of the bike. Because of the sunny warm climate here in Southern California, a bike with 75,000+ mles on it, isn't all that unusual. On the other hand . . . try and sell or trade that same bike in South Eastern Pennsylvania where I grew up? Good f'ing luck! That, or buy a Goldwing . . . nobody is even remotely impressed around here, until there is at least 200,000 miles on the clock. Even adding the extended factory warranty, which adds 4 years and unlimited milage, only cost me $400. So when I sell my 2013 Goldwing in 2018 it'll still have a year and unlimited milage remaining on the factory warranty. That pretty much eliminates any buyers concerns about the sort of miles I put on my bikes. Price that agaist what Harley wants for their extended warranty. It'll make you think if/when the two are compared! I love both bikes, but the cost each company charges for their extended warranties, for what are competitve and comparable models, says a lot (I think) about the confidence, or the lack there-of, that each manufaturer has in their product.
Yep you nailed it as to "terminal" miles, it varies from one location to the next as well as from one dealer to the next. Ability to get an extended warranty plays a part but a good dealer has got to know the used bike market in his area as well. There is some areas of the country where due to weather it is not unusual to see higher millage on bikes and as a result dealers are more likely to take a chance on a high millage trade. Post #4 above is likely a prime example, the dealers in NY would not touch the trade where the dealer in TX with more year round riding made it happen.

Another factor is the dealers used inventory level at the time and his history of selling higher millage bikes. If the guy making the decision to take the trade or not at the dealership is doing his job he also keeps up to date on used bikes being advertised in the area. If he is looking at taking a 2010 Dyna with high millage and knows that there is a glut of similar bikes on Craigs list etc... with low mileage he would be foolish to take a chance on a high milage bike that he may have to sit on for a long time

Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,694 Likes on 3,424 Posts

It's the miles...they can't put a ESP above either 72000 or 75000 miles.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:54 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Coming up on 98,000 miles on my 2007 Ultra. My dealer told me much the same thing, that they wouldn't take trade-ins beyond 50,000 miles. Since my bike is running as good as the day I bought it, I will just ride it 'til I'm done. These days, I find my rides are getting a bit shorter by choice. I'm 75 with COPD. I rode down to Vegas last week, a 250 mile round trip, and by nightfall, I was pretty tired. Fought a strong headwind so muscles were tense. I doubt I will ever run out of motorcycle before my body says no more.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Your problem is Supply Vs. Demand

Too many Weekend Warriors, Yuppies and Newly Divorcees with Garage Queens have a close call and get scared off them, harassed by household six enough to sell it, lose them in a divorce, or recover from their first midlife crisis and move on to their next mid life crisis ~ a Boat

That so many low mile Scoots are available means even a well maintained and ridden one will always be less desirable

Yah I said It ~ Many a Truth is Said in Jest

LOL

Haole

Last edited by HAOLE; 11-07-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

I traded my 11 Road King in the last day of 2015 with a little over 30,000 miles on it. The first dealer I talked to said it had high mileage and wanted to low ball me.

The dealer that I traded it to still has it on their website for sale, at not a bad price. There are just too many low mile bikes out there to choose from, (not that I think 30k is high mileage)

Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 449 Posts

This was from the dealer's website after I traded in my 2009 FLHTCU for a 2014 FLHTK. I paid MSRP for the 2014 FLHTK. I happened to goto their open house and the dealership was under new ownership. The new owner was looking to boost his NEW bike sales numbers and made me an offer I could not refuse.

The bike in the picture is not mine but the information to the right of the picture was my bike in Sept 2013.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 11-07-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: additional info

Quick Reply: When is too many miles for trade