Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle Rama 575 cams in a softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:26 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I got in a little bit of a situation and while reinstalling the cam assembly one of the oil pump gears was slightly out of alignment and while pushing I split the small oil pump gear. Not so happy but not mad. I ordered the fueling oe+ billet pump and housing. Really something I should have known and looked out for. I was surprised it split so easily, no damage to the crank so I am happy for that. I am even happier I pulled the assembly out and saw the crack.

Pressing forward I decided to move on to the tank and swap all the fuel lines, regulator hat, and fuel pump. Not a hard job and one less thing to worry about.

While I was ordering the oil pump I decided to shop around for some new ape hangers so I will order and install them as well while my bike is down.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts

Damn. I have never seen one of those gerotors break like that. Especially from pushing. Like your bike and your thread. Keep pushing forward.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Can't cry over a mistake I made. I am pressing on with the project to make this bike better so adding a feuling oil pump is not a bad upgrade. I also got in my quick connectors for my fuel tank cross over tube. I am so tired of it dumping gas all over the place when I pull my tank. The connectors at valved with viton O rings so when I unhook them only a tiny amount of gas comes out

Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts

I used a motion pro disconnect for my dyna and it was one of the best things I ever did. They work great. That one looks nice.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

I know you already did this, but Trask makes a Billet FPR housing that is awesome. The stock plastic ones like to break or warp enough to let the o-ring on the FPR to bulge out and dump fuel back into the tank. We have never had a Trask unit fail and have installed no less than 30 of them here at the shop. Just a thought since you have the tank apart. Keep up the good work, this is a great thread and I'll stay tuned!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Made some progress but still waiting on parts to show up. Got my new feuling oil pump in and cam play on. Measured my sprockets and think I need a better spacer. Ran a feeler gauge and it is over the .100 allowable so I will order new spacers. Decided to start working on pulling my ape hangers off and to keep moving forward. I am also waiting on my cam cover to return from anodizing.

Red is assembly lube

Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Got my bars in and wired up. It was an easy wire job so I take it the welds were done nice inside

Old 03-12-2017, 12:29 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

made some progress today and finished installing my cams. of course it was not without a minor setback where i accidentally set my tq wrench to the wrong foot pounds and broke one of my rocker bolts. not a big deal removed the lower rocker box and pulled it out and put a new bolt in.

i also got around to finishing up installing my new ape hangers which i think look pretty good. i really liked the br custom bars but going down to a 14" bar will really improve comfort.

just wanted to toss this in, i bought a flashlight called the big larry by nebo and it is hands down the best flashlight i have ever owned. it has a magnetic base and it puts out just the right amount of light over a vary wide area to help me see everything i am doing wile working.

Last edited by stal94gt; 03-12-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Finished making my no drip fuel crossover line. It is not the prettiest but there is vary limited space under the tank and head so I decided to relocate it to a more accessible spot.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Probably going to make a new thread cause I think people think I keep talking about cams. Today I pulled the rear wheel again to take measurements for my new 70t pulley. It is quite a bit larger than my 66t pulley so I hope my 133t belt still works. I ordered a .5 inch spacer from j&p so I hope it gets here soon. I also need to take it the pulley in to get powder coated black.

Last edited by stal94gt; 03-13-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Cycle Rama 575 cams in a softail