EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Can I talk About My Sporty here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Little minor progress, mostly of the setup variety yesterday.

Got the new tires on. Those ancient (2004 date code) HD-branded Dunlops were positively dangerous. Just touch the rear brake and you'd lock that thing up. Fresh, sticky new meats are nice.

The S&S was a tad lean, so I replaced the idle jet. It had a 0.028 installed from the factory. I replaced it with a 0.0295. Cured some lean pops I was getting around 40MPH. Probably not "right", but close enough for now.

Got a question for you S&S guys: Stock throttle cables work, right? The reason I ask is that the cable that's on there (and I guess I don't know for sure that it is actually stock), is too long. Meaning the cable itself is too long for the sleeve. Even at the extreme end of adjustment, I've got almost a full 1/4 turn on the grip before it starts opening the carb. If it matters, I took off the idle cable when I put on the carb.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:19 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 501 Posts

Your carb should have come with 2 cable brackets. I think I used the tall one to install with factory cables on my ultra.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,803 Likes on 1,383 Posts

If I recall, I made a spacer for that throttle cable. Don't remember if I used it on the Buell throttle body that's on the bike now.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:28 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by flhchaz
Your carb should have come with 2 cable brackets. I think I used the tall one to install with factory cables on my ultra.
I definitely used the taller one. The instructions talked about how the shorter one was for the old-style (1980's) type carbs, and the taller one was for the CV carbs.

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
If I recall, I made a spacer for that throttle cable. Don't remember if I used it on the Buell throttle body that's on the bike now.
Gonna need to sort this for sure. That will all wait until I get everything else put together. I may need a different cable anyway depending on what I end up doing with the bars.

The thing that surprised me most about the cable I've got is that it has a curiously short adjustment bolt on it....Maybe 2/3 the amount of adjustment compared to the Barnetts I put on the EG last year. Makes me wonder.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Finally got around to ordering this bad boy yesterday. Should be arriving in a couple of weeks.

The plan is to get it installed while the engine is in the current frame and the electric starter is still attached. I want to get the timing set and the carb tuning close before I install the kicker.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Who makes the magneto, Omaha? It is fuzzy on my phone....

This is the type of build this sub forum needs. Thank you. I mean it!
Tom

Old 10-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁16768250
Who makes the magneto, Omaha? It is fuzzy on my phone....
Tom, thanks for telling me that was a magneto, seriously. I have been looking at different pics for about an hour trying to figure it out.

younger guys can try to learn oldschool stuff too!

Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tee⋁16768250
Who makes the magneto
It's a Joe Hunt.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So, I always kinda thought magnetos were used on bikes with kickstarters, and alternators were used everywhere else, this should have been immediately obvious.

Anywho... I went out to the great google to learn myself on what makes a magneto different from an alternator, and I found this post on another bike forum (Ducati).... Now I am more confused than ever.

================

___ For at-least the past couple of years, I've been expecting & awaiting to offer the likes of the following explanation with hopes that someone-else of us here would bring-up the matter of exactly how magnetos & alternators differ,, but no-one has ever directly done-so yet, (and I can't believe that it's because everyone actually KNOWS already). _ And-so since the term 'magneto' has been getting posted rather frequently lately, I've thusly come to realize I ought-to go-ahead & use THAT as motive to finally get this word out-there, (instead of still further waiting).
__ In the past week or so,, there have been significantly more references (than the usual-norm), to the term "magneto", in regards to the electric-power generator setup within the Ducati-models which rather employ Ducati's old straight-AC.powered ignition-system.
In the past, whenever anyone (registered at this w.site) used that word 'magneto' here in the forum (prior to 2012), I'd then always feel the need to correct the use of that term and proclaim that their reference to a "magneto" should ought instead rather be referred-to as an 'alternator' !
The reason for MY-own reasoning that such correction-attempts should be done, is because when I-myself happened to become involved with such workings of motorcycles,, at THAT time, the term 'magneto' had earned a very particular & specific meaning (at-least within the USA) ! ... As such an item was-not merely-just an electrical-generator, but ALSO most of an entire ignition-system all self-contained within just a single component-unit,, and that which some others have referred-to as a 'magneto' within old AC.powered Duc.single-models, is certainly-NOT such as THAT -(multi-component ign.unit) ! _ Thus my-own feeling for the need to point-out the difference (that none of Ducati's alternators are "magnetos"),
(all motivated due-to the related education which my mind had then become conditioned to believe, back from THOSE-days when the term 'magneto' had already rather become actually a nick-name & short-term for a magneto-powered ign.system UNIT [or some-other extended word-line of the like] ).
__ However, just as I had felt I should pass-on my-own (fairly valid) belief of what's-what on this issue,, another fellow (nearly two decades my senior), also felt the need his own-self, to correct ME ! ... And HE then straightened-out ME on what's REALLY what (with the magneto term/definition-issue),, telling me that the ORIGINAL-meaning of what a magneto ACTUALLY is, is that the only difference between a magneto and an alternator, is whether it's the magnet-rotor or the stator-winding which is the moving-part ! _ So ACTUALLY, a real-alternator has stationary magnets with a rotating armature,, while conversely, magnetos have a stationary stator-coil with rotating magnets !
So going by that ORIGINAL definition-description, then ALL our Duke-models really have 'magnetos', (and most all other motorcycles as well) !
BUT yet, these-days,, BOTH true-alternators AND true-magnetos are both called "alternators", and that's what's generally pretty-much universally accepted THESE-days ! _ So that fact somewhat logically leaves the 'magneto' slang-term left to be primarily used as the short-term/nick-name for referring-to any magneto-ign.unit. _ But since the term 'magneto' may still possibly represent either of it's original or slang term-definitions, it seems we're stuck with potential confusion between the two.
__ In any case, one thing is pretty-true though,, the Motocross/Scrambler/Mark-III/n-c.Mark-3/160-models definitely employ magneto-TYPE ignition-systems !

Here is the source, if anyone is interested to read further: http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1695

Omaha, sorry for hijacking your thread.. I share too much sometimes.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-02-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Short version: The magneto is just a little spark box. It fires the plugs directly. No ignition module. No coil.

Ignition timing is set through old-school points. Advance is mechanical.

On this project, I'm (probably...all of this is subject to figuring out what does and doesn't work) going to ditch the battery, the starter, all of the stock ignition system. I'm keeping the rotor/stator and will run the output through a box that is a combination rectifier and capacitor to smooth out the power. The output from all that will power the headlight, tail light and brakelight. Other than that, there isn't going to be anything on the bike that uses electric power anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
Matt990724 (10-26-2017), Thingfish (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Can I talk About My Sporty here?