General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Training

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 PM
motorman2
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spent some time reading this thread as the title caught my attention. I believe more riders should learn slow speed skills as they assist in actual situations every rider encounters on the street every time they ride. I laughed as one poster said, if I ride and its a tight turn I just go down to the next entrance. I ask, REALLY? Then what are you going to do in an emergency situation to get away from a situation that could take your life in a confined space in a split second. And whats more, if you can't control your bike at slow speeds you can't come close to knowing the true enjoyment of being in total control of your bike. If you disagree, I then say get some qualified instruction from a qualified instructor. Furthermore just because an instructor has MSF behind his name doesn't make him a great rider or even qualified to teach slow speed techniques it just means he has met the requirements set by the state he teaches. Nothing against MSF instructors but I have seen some who can't make a simple turn in less than 2 parking spaces or even ride as well as they should. Remember they teach for Harley most times using small motorcycle and Heavy Touring Models are much heavier. The techniques every one knows Friction Zone, Head and Eyes, Feathering the Rear Brake are the same for any bike. But its not necessary to use the rear brake to make slow speed turns if u have control.

Bottom Line, Hats off to the person looking for the training to be an advanced rider and while doing so trying to protect his expensive motorcycle investment because if you take care of your motorcycle and it will take care of you.

Sounds to me like this new rider will be way Advanced Really Soon!

Remember your motorcycle is smarter than you!!!

Last edited by motorman2; 06-14-2019 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Salty
Practice ain't worth much if you don't know how to practice. Get the DVD for $20. Your skills will sky rocket using the techniques in this video. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/d...ike-a-pro-dvd/
I used Ride Like a Pro! Mine is so old, it's on VHS. How old is THAT?

MajorKG (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:59 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

You can even practice on a bicycle at first. You might laugh, but try it. If nothing else, you will be a better bicycle rider.

MajorKG (06-15-2019)