General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Califronian Registration Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Pay a neighbor kid to spin the front wheel until the odometer reads 7500 miles..
This is an old law that dates back to the time when there were 49 state emissions and California emissions.
These days everything is 50 state emissions legal.
That is incorrect. There are no 50 state Harleys. The 49 state Harleys lack the CA required EVAP system. Additionally this bike is now flagged in the system. The OP is screwed. He cannot spin the odometer, the two year exemption was dropped about 20 years ago, he cannot add an evap system. Only a CARB certified manufacturer or the original manufacturer can. Then the mfgr adds a California certified label. This would cost as much as the bike. This bike will be flagged in the DMV system for seven years. There is now only one loophole for this and that is meeting any of the criteria in this form.

.Statement of Facts, California Non-certified Vehicle

Last edited by dribble; 06-14-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,453 Posts

for the cali guys. if a bike is flagged in the system, can he sell the bike to a buddy in, say Arizona, who then titles it there. after a period of time, or miles, can he then buy it back and then title it in ca? or once flagged, forever flagged?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
for the cali guys. if a bike is flagged in the system, can he sell the bike to a buddy in, say Arizona, who then titles it there. after a period of time, or miles, can he then buy it back and then title it in ca? or once flagged, forever flagged?
Yes there is no reason why that shouldn't work.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Pablo94
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
They don't care about the canister, especially if it isn't a CA bike originally. My CA built bike from 1994 had a Washington title, which they still had to inspect but all they looked for was the sticker on the frame. No canister on my 1994 EGS anyway, it fell off 50K miles ago. They only care that it's over 7500 miles and considered a USED motorcycle.

They don't care about emissions either, you don't even have to start the bike. They just look at the VIN on the frame, the mileage (turn bike on to show digital speedometer, and yes they know the difference between the ODO and the TRIP selection), and the engine serial number, both of which are now going to be branded on your title.

Seriously, trust me. I turned over 4 motorcycles in three years in that God forsaken penny-pinching state, one of which I was dealing with getting a new engine serial number on my title when I just gave up and moved to FL.
Just so everyone is clear. The 7,500 mile requirement was actually passed to prevent California residents from driving to Oregon (no sales tax) or Nevada or Arizona to buy a brand new vehicle and circumvent the sales tax rates in our state. It was originally never about emissions.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE][for the cali guys. if a bike is flagged in the system, can he sell the bike to a buddy in, say Arizona, who then titles it there. after a period of time, or miles, can he then buy it back and then title it in ca? or once flagged, forever flagged?/QUOTE]

Won't work. The VIN goes in a database and is forever banned. If he hasn't gone to the DMV yet, he's OK, can run up the miles or whatever. But if its been inspected, he has to sell it outside of CA. I read other forums, and there's lots of guys that have had this problem. THe law goes back to when there was a large number of British and European gray market cars being brought in and sold, most of which didn't even meet US safety requirements, let alone smog controls. So they got very strict and forgot to allow for motorcycles and oddball cases.

The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Pablo94
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
That is incorrect. There are no 50 state Harleys. The 49 state Harleys lack the CA required EVAP system. Additionally this bike is now flagged in the system. The OP is screwed. He cannot spin the odometer, the two year exemption was dropped about 20 years ago, he cannot add an evap system. Only a CARB certified manufacturer or the original manufacturer can. Then the mfgr adds a California certified label. This would cost as much as the bike. This bike will be flagged in the DMV system for seven years. There is now only one loophole for this and that is meeting any of the criteria in this form.

I would think any HD dealer could add the EVAP at a reasonable price and get the certified label. The EVAP is not a very complicated system. I had a EVAP recall on my bike. The dealer replaced the cannister and filter ( the filter was the issue. Possible water intrusion due to its location) and gave me the certified DMV paperwork. However, to take care of it, I had to have the original certified paper work. The first time, it was a photocopy and they did not accept that. I had to have the original P.O.C. form to take care of it. Proof of Correction....

Old 06-15-2019, 02:16 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pablo94
I would think any HD dealer could add the EVAP at a reasonable price and get the certified label. The EVAP is not a very complicated system. I had a EVAP recall on my bike. The dealer replaced the cannister and filter ( the filter was the issue. Possible water intrusion due to its location) and gave me the certified DMV paperwork. However, to take care of it, I had to have the original certified paper work. The first time, it was a photocopy and they did not accept that. I had to have the original P.O.C. form to take care of it. Proof of Correction....
That was a repair to an existing system. This bike has a 49 state VIN. The law requires that the retrofit be done in a carb certified lab and also requires end of assembly line testing for compliance. When a dealer orders an emission label From a manufacturer they have to provide the VIN. The manufacturer will only send a 49 state label. Also Ca bikes use a different tank. There is flat no way around this. What’s sad is when they removed the two year exemption it had nothing to do with bikes. It was the two year old grey market Mercedes and Porsche’s they were after

Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Silidons
Cruiser
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

I have registered all my used bikes at AAA, more than a few were plated out of state.

AAA has never gone outside and actually checked out my bike.

Fun fact: if the bike has a bunch of back fee's in a different state, it doesn't matter if you register it in the new state.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Silidons
I have registered all my used bikes at AAA, more than a few were plated out of state.

AAA has never gone outside and actually checked out my bike.

Fun fact: if the bike has a bunch of back fee's in a different state, it doesn't matter if you register it in the new state.
You want another fun fact? If you let your registration lapse and move to another state the CA DMV will send your bill to the Franchise Tax Board and they will extract their dues right out of your primary checking account without a care in the world. It's called a levy, and they're well within legal means to do it. How do I know this? Remember when I said I moved to FL recently? Well, I'll give you one guess what happened...

Seriously, fvck that state!

Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,133 Likes on 11,098 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble

I was referring to cars and trucks, I am not aware of any mfg still selling 49 state vehicles .