Notices
General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Ballpark cost for camchain tensioner mod?

Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Stingray702
Supporter
Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

my buddy just did his..the parts were around $500 and then the bonehead had Harley do it..another $750..i could have done that with about a 6 back.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 AM
Mattbastard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

Why don't you just change the pads? That's like a $20 mod and they're good for another 30-50K miles.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Scudda
Road Warrior
Received 347 Likes on 182 Posts

This is an open ended question....It all depends on the bike and what you are looking for. Most people( myself Included) but not all Address the Cam chest issue on the 88Inch as soon as they can afford to. Some have been known to fail in as little as 9000 miles, some last till 80000 miles. There is no way to tell.
The other weakness in the cam chest is the inner cam bearings, These are also known to fail and should be replaced with better bearings.

In my case I changed out the cam chest at 14000 miles with the screaming eagle cam plate upgrade kit, Andrews cam, Better inner bearings New lifters and adjustable pushrods.

Since my bike is fuel injected I had to also get a tuner ( pre mapped from Fuel moto ), Total cost in parts was around $1200 and I had a harley tech do it on the side for me for around $300

Bike has run awesome ever since!!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16 View Post
Haven't called and checked. Was on here late one night and though "what the hell, I'll ask the guys". I realize prices will vary. I'm not an engine mechanic, but very mechanically inclined. Thought alot about doing it myself if needed. Maybe the inspect, but mod or cam changes a lil out of my comfort zone. I'd love to though. Rewarding.
Just do it yourself. Bite the bullet and buy the few specialty tools you’ll need like the cam bearing puller and oil pump alignment pins. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, and get a genuine HD service manual. If I can do it having never done it before you can too.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: