Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another brick in the wall, Dyna 124 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Looking forward to watching this.

Its Interesting the love/hate people have with the blonde/grey motor. I've had 3 wrinkle black engined Dynas. My next harley (used) will most certainly have a blonde motor.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 AM
rossWG
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

i was working in Barcelona a lot, and took my bike there for a few months. Once leaving Andorra back into Spain, i was stopped at a Police road block and inspection. The traffic cop didnt look like he was going to be my buddy, as the sound of my exhaust gases blasted out from their release from the exhaust, free of any muffler apart from the DK Customs TTI's. Even less so, when he saw my side number plate (which isn't allowed in Spain, and many other European countries), carried a UK plate.

Many european countries now have strict limits on noise, i have heard this will apply in due course to Spain. These Jekyll and hyde exhausts are being promoted as a work round, though they are eye-watering expensive. Finally, Spanish roads are the best.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Red thunder exhausts are also one of the few brands that are street legal in Europe, way cheaper than Jekyll and Hyde and nicer

Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Red thunder exhausts are also one of the few brands that are street legal in Europe, way cheaper than Jekyll and Hyde and nicer
I believe the Red Thunder pipe ships with a "euro style" DB killer installed in the back, which usually gets removed here in the states. I've read complaints from some people about the Red Thunder sound here, which I think is probably because they didn't realize there's a piece in there that can be removed.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Good luck building "your" engine. Hope you don't get caught. Ride safe.
Well, it's mine in the sense that I built it for my riding style, I wish I could manufacture every piece of it

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Looking forward to watching this.

Its Interesting the love/hate people have with the blonde/grey motor. I've had 3 wrinkle black engined Dynas. My next harley (used) will most certainly have a blonde motor.
I always hated it, the contrast chrome/black of the wrinkle HD engines is something I love

Originally Posted by rossWG
i was working in Barcelona a lot, and took my bike there for a few months. Once leaving Andorra back into Spain, i was stopped at a Police road block and inspection. The traffic cop didnt look like he was going to be my buddy, as the sound of my exhaust gases blasted out from their release from the exhaust, free of any muffler apart from the DK Customs TTI's. Even less so, when he saw my side number plate (which isn't allowed in Spain, and many other European countries), carried a UK plate.

Many european countries now have strict limits on noise, i have heard this will apply in due course to Spain. These Jekyll and hyde exhausts are being promoted as a work round, though they are eye-watering expensive. Finally, Spanish roads are the best.
The police of catalonia is really strict when it comes down to bikes and noise, they even have portable dynos to test the bikes on the road to see if the engines are limited in power for those that should be (due to the rider owning a limited power license). Most of the HD guys here run aftermarket exhaust and most of the time the police doesn't care about HD being noisy, they understand that is the nature of the beast somewhat, unless you're being a d#ck running the bike at high rpms and open pipes you shouldn't have any problems, this is on the majority of the Spanish territory, on some places the police is harder on noisy bikes.

Also I do agree that we have awesome roads, is really rare to see straight roads over here, not even on highways (and with straight I mean those long straight roads that exists in the states)

Regarding the thread and the build, in the next days I should get the E-Series exhaust delivered to my place in the USA along with the engine internals, I have got the majority of covers (cam, rockers and lifters) already waiting for them to fly over the Atlantic ocean into my house, also bought some steel to build a engine hoist for the work, most of the hoists I see for sale are designed for car engines that are far heavier than the twincam and I don't feel like spending 200 euros (~230$) for something I will only use once.

Last edited by Lambda; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM
Lambda
Cruiser

Well, first post on the build itself, today I received a bunch of parts from the USA, still missing some important ones that are set to arrive next week, I can't advance much on the build since i'm missing the crankshaft and the tool to set the timken endplay, in the next two days I should be getting the FM E-Series exhaust at home, will post pics when it arrives.

Who doesn't love new parts pics?

I also have been building a small engine hoist to lift the TC out of the frame, was going to buy one already made but they're like 250$ and they're huge and a overkill for the project, this is the result, tested when lifting over 150kgs (330lbs) so the engine should be a easy one, spent less than 50$ in metal and welding rods for that.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice job on that lift. I could have use that last winter.
Engines are not that hard to get in and out. I had a wheeled office chair nearby to put the engine in when I lifted it outta the frame. Then I rolled it over and transferred it to a nearby shelf. I'm 64 and did mine last winter. Doing another this month. Or next, when ever it gets here.
Your parts are looking good.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Lambda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fxdlx
Nice job on that lift. I could have use that last winter.
Engines are not that hard to get in and out. I had a wheeled office chair nearby to put the engine in when I lifted it outta the frame. Then I rolled it over and transferred it to a nearby shelf. I'm 64 and did mine last winter. Doing another this month. Or next, when ever it gets here.
Your parts are looking good.
The reason of making a lift was on a error on my side when converting pounds to kilos, thought that the engine was far heavier than what it is actually but anyway, welding is fun

Back on the topic, after a few weeks I got all the parts (or almost all, read on) to make the engine build happen, I've spent all the week cleaning and organizing the garage since it was a complete mess, my brother in law is currently restoring his father Savage 650 and it was full of parts from both the HD and the Suzuki and I didn't want to start the job with all the dirt and stuff all over so I changed the ikea small shelfs over a better garage storage shelfs and everything is looking better now.

Today I went to make the first step in the build which it was to inspect and set the timken bearing endplay for the crankshaft, or how can you halt a engine build due a 4 bucks part missing.

First and beforehand I got the S&S crankcase in their stand and removed the two bolts securing it.

after removing the two bolts I got it off the stand and proceeded to split the cases, it took more force than I would thought at first considering that no sealant or anything is between them, nothing that a rubber mallet couldn't solve.

After that I got my Lang tools endplay tool and put it on the vice along with the first bearing half, the right halve, the spacer and the second bearing half, secured the nut and checked the endplay.

I tightened by hand the nut in small steps while rotating the case halve just to find a spot where further tightening would make the bearings start to bind against the races in the case, bad luck on me, the included spacer is too small, i had to order several bigger sizes and will have to test one that fits and sets the proper endplay.

The journey hasn't been very long, this is a good example on how a $4 part can stop the entire process.

More to come

Last edited by Lambda; 02-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.