Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:13 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default S-Series - Home Base

It was bound to happen. Someone would have started this thread eventually. It may as well be me.

It's a place to show off and discuss your S-Series bikes, and for others to see and learn about them.

Hopefully Harley-Davidson adds more to the series, or just offers a couple different S-Series bikes each year. (A hot-rod Heritage or super sport Superglide would be cool.)

As S-Series owners, we know the value that comes with the higher price.
For the 2016 models, these extras include;
SE 110" motor
High flow intake
Hydraulic clutch
Throttle by wire
Cruise control
A lot of blacked out parts
Special paint scheme on one of the Slim S models.

These links won't last forever, but here they are:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...il-slim-s.html

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...fat-boy-s.html

NEED A GOOD, LARGE CLEAN IMAGE OF A COMPLETELY STOCK FAT BOY S WITH A CLEAN BACKGROUND. PLEASE PM A LINK OR IMAGE TO ME.

So post up your S-Series bikes, mods, stories, rumors about new models, and anything else S-Series.

Last edited by SLV; 09-06-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:01 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Well I tried to add text to my photo but it wouldn't let me.

I got the Fatboy S. I've added some of the tribal line (grips, highway pegs, passenger pegs, shifter pedal), a 21 inch windshield on a black detachable base, a medium sissy bar, Fatboy bags, Fatboy windshield bag, Mustache engine guard, speedo/tacho combo in black. I kept the shifter chrome and changed the pot metal linkage to a chrome one.

I'm not sure yet about mufflers, I've looked at a few catalogs and Arlen Ness make some that I think could look good - maybe not staggered I'm not sure yet. V & H pipes could also work. There's plenty of power but no Harley sound from the stock pipes.

I will order a crotch cooler from Captain Itch but haven't got round to it yet, thinking orange crystals on it but I like some bling. So far the bike has not felt too hot in stop and go traffic which is pretty amazing for a 110 in Florida summer heat. Oh yeh have the Diamond Ice gas cap and just bought the bling to go on the speedo.

I've almost reached 500 miles and I'm going to get on it tomorrow and unleash the beast.

After a Heritage seat, the Fattie seat is firmer and is hurting my tailbone after about an hour. Maybe some more miles will help soften the seat otherwise I'll have to think about what to do with it. The sissy bar is detachable, I got one because I like longer trips and need somewhere to put my travel bag, but for everyday use I will likely take it off.

Also planning to put the run/stop/signal rear light system in with BALs, and I was told that my single headlight is not very bright in a sea of other bikes so I guess that's another upgrade to do (sigh).

Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

2016 Slim-S
Purchased August 31st 2015 from Savannah Harley-Davidson.

414 miles as of today.

Good:
Torque and more torque.
Fit and finish is outstanding
Hydraulic clutch is smooth and linear. Easy to squeeze too.
Cruise Control is extremely handy and easy to use.
Feels relatively light for a 712lb (wet) bike.

Bad:
Floorboards scrape if I get too aggressive in corners. Usually slow 90-degree corners.
I don't find the stock seat comfortable. I didn't mind sitting so low, but the edge of the seat digs in after an hour.

Ugly:
So far, nothing.

Mods to date:
Mother Road Customs spring seat. I prefer to sit on a bike rather than sitting in it. Personal preference.

Custom Dynamics 48-LED cluster tail light inserts. $89 and much brighter than the old 1157 bulbs. Do NOT require load equalizers like the cheaper Radiantz versions do. To be fair, the Radiantz are half the price and just as bright, but individual LED's will fail in short term, and your indicator on the dash will flash fast. The TS flashes normal. If you are on a budget, the Radiantz are still better than stock bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Custom Dynamics Ringz front Turn signal inserts. Also 48 LED clusters, but the outer ring is 24 white LED that serve as running lights, and the inner cluster is 24 yellow that serve as turn signals. Also very bright compared to stick. Also do NOT need a load equalizer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ride in Savannah where I believe the worst drivers in the world reside, then, the second worse drivers come for tourism (not to mention the thousands of semi-trucks entering and leaving the sea port every day.) Good visibility is important to me. These Custom Dynamics products, behind smoked lenses, give me bright visibility on the road and inconspicuous looks when parked.

I also removed the heel shifter because it just got in the way of my size 14 boot. I didn't use it. HD sells a nice little cap for the spline.

The only thing left for me is a set of slip-ons. I haven't decided which ones, but leaning toward the SE street cannons. I don't really need more power (what? Who said that?). Really, the bike scoots real good under loads of torque. I do however want to remove he cat converters so the engine can run a bit cooler and more like an engine should.

So, here it is;

Last edited by SLV; 09-06-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Oh yeh my heel shifter is gone too.

Yours is looking great SLV. I agree it's a smooth ride, the clutch is like butter and the TBW is immediately responsive not like the older versions that HD put out on the touring models a couple years back.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I pick up my vivid black Fat Boy S on Friday, I can't wait!
I sold my last Fat Boy back in 2005 and I've missed it ever since!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Loonie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
2016 Slim-S
Purchased August 31st 2015 from Savannah Harley-Davidson.

414 miles as of today.

Good:
Torque and more torque.
Fit and finish is outstanding
Hydraulic clutch is smooth and linear. Easy to squeeze too.
Cruise Control is extremely handy and easy to use.
Feels relatively light for a 712lb (wet) bike.

Bad:
Floorboards scrape if I get too aggressive in corners. Usually slow 90-degree corners.
I don't find the stock seat comfortable. I didn't mind sitting so low, but the edge of the seat digs in after an hour.

Ugly:
So far, nothing.

Mods to date:
Mother Road Customs spring seat. I prefer to sit on a bike rather than sitting in it. Personal preference.

Custom Dynamics 48-LED cluster tail light inserts. $89 and much brighter than the old 1157 bulbs. Do NOT require load equalizers like the cheaper Radiantz versions do. To be fair, the Radiantz are half the price and just as bright, but individual LED's will fail in short term, and your indicator on the dash will flash fast. The TS flashes normal. If you are on a budget, the Radiantz are still better than stock bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Custom Dynamics Ringz front Turn signal inserts. Also 48 LED clusters, but the outer ring is 24 white LED that serve as running lights, and the inner cluster is 24 yellow that serve as turn signals. Also very bright compared to stick. Also do NOT need a load equalizer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ride in Savannah where I believe the worst drivers in the world reside, then, the second worse drivers come for tourism (not to mention the thousands of semi-trucks entering and leaving the sea port every day.) Good visibility is important to me. These Custom Dynamics products, behind smoked lenses, give me bright visibility on the road and inconspicuous looks when parked.

I also removed the heel shifter because it just got in the way of my size 14 boot. I didn't use it. HD sells a nice little cap for the spline.

The only thing left for me is a set of slip-ons. I haven't decided which ones, but leaning toward the SE street cannons. I don't really need more power (what? Who said that?). Really, the bike scoots real good under loads of torque. I do however want to remove he cat converters so the engine can run a bit cooler and more like an engine should.

So, here it is;

Hi SLV

Mine has been delivered Friday as per plan and till now I love it! It's a fun bike that bring you a big smile. On my side, I'm looking to add a pair of Vance and Hines twin slash 3" slip-ons black part no. 46841.

Plus a spring solo seat and I really like yours. I found out all the informations on Mother road custom web site except for the seat itself. Is it a 11x16 or 13x15? . Looks like a 11 x 16 on your pictures!

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Loonie

Old 09-07-2015, 01:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Loonie

My seat is a 13" x 15" distressed leather with the 1" gel/miracle foam option. It's very comfortable for me. The gel/foam option makes a lot of difference.

I think all of their seats fit the mounts though.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Loonie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Loonie

My seat is a 13" x 15" distressed leather with the 1" gel/miracle foam option. It's very comfortable for me. The gel/foam option makes a lot of difference.

I think all of their seats fit the mounts though.
Thanks for your quick reply!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 PM
wrussi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a 07 softail deluxe and i sold it a few months ago. well i really missed the softail and couldnt wait to get another one. when i heard about the new S models i just had to have it! plus the olive green military theme is awesome!. i was able to score the first one here in Miami.

after hours of paperwork its finally outside ready for me to ride it home.

made it home. cant believe how much torque this thing has!

first mods as with every bike i've owned is to remove the ugly reflectors. way better now.

added the patent badge on the oil tank.

and added the swingarm bag.

more pics coming soon!

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base