Sponsored by:

M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter

At 500 miles the M8 maybe dying a whir grr whir clatter clatter death. About a 100 miles ago it got louder. It's had a true mechanical sound since new. But then a clatter, chatter, whir, whir whir started. Going down the road at hwy speeds it clearly has a clatter from the front head.

I did a 3 hole exploratory oil change on it today at 500 miles. And each hole left my drain pan with all sorts of silver in the bottom. The engine drain plug was very clean. But the pan was full of aluminum flakes and debris. The trans and primary plugs looked awful. They were all caked up with muck. And Both of them left flakes and all sorts of metallic rubbish in the drain pan.

So my M8 is either grinding it's self up or it's going to be a loud ratty bitch. I just went out and took it for another ride. With 540 miles on the clock i went ahead and found the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Then i launched it hard. It floated the front wheel very nicely through 2nd. So the motor is still wanting to pull and there is no smoke at all.

Will try and get it to the dealer next weekend. But with rain in the forcast it maybe two or 3 weeks. Now I'm just going to ride it like I hate it. I was nice to you M8 for 400 miles. Now I'm going to beat the ever loving **** out of you.

Looks like this Harley is going to be like the last two I owned. CRAP!!! O-Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doh7...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by psyshack; 01-30-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Well, that doesn't sound normal. I'm going to step out on a limb here and suggest you take it to your dealer, since it's in warranty.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

I replied to your other post in the 'Show Us Your M8' thread. Something along the lines of, "has it always sounded that way, or just after the oil change?" Sounds here like it's been noisy since new. Yeah, that's not normal at all and definitely needs to get checked out.

Last edited by YammyDrummer; 01-30-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
I replied to your other post in the 'Show Us Your M8' thread. Something along the lines of, "has it always sounded that way, or just after the oil change?" Sounds here like it's been noisy since new. Yeah, that's not normal at all and definitely needs to get checked out.
I saw your question. Just thought it better to put a thread up here.

It has always had a mechanical sound about it. I could clearly hear the valves and rockers. Could hear the cam chest humming along. The trans has always been very quiet. The primary has been as quiet as a 100 year old design can be.

The whir and clatter started at the 400 mile mark. The engine ran in and broke loose pretty much at the 200 mile mark. The rings seated up and it started running great.

I'll get it to my dealer when the weather permits. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I saw your question. Just thought it better to put a thread up here.

It has always had a mechanical sound about it. I could clearly hear the valves and rockers. Could hear the cam chest humming along. The trans has always been very quiet. The primary has been as quiet as a 100 year old design can be.

The whir and clatter started at the 400 mile mark. The engine ran in and broke loose pretty much at the 200 mile mark. The rings seated up and it started running great.

I'll get it to my dealer when the weather permits. I will give them a call tomorrow.
Huh? How did you know that?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Call your dealer tomorrow and have them come pick it up and in their trailer. That motor needs to be replaced

Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Huh? How did you know that?
It started starting much better. Throttle became much more responsive. Compression evened out at 182 psi solid on both cylinders on a cold check. New Years Eve when I bought it after the ride home that night with 100 miles or so on the clock after it had cooled down for 4 or 5 hours I checked the compresion and it floated between 168 to 172 psi per cylinder. Around 225 miles the primary chain tensor made it's first adjustment. I could hear a tad of chain noise and then it was gone. It had clearly ran in and broke loose so to speak at the 200 mile mark. That by no means was sign to flog it.

But I did get on it hard this evening. It will float the front tire on a hard launch through 2nd. I would venture to say it has not lost a pony yet.

I'm going to open up the oil filter tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

man that sucks..sounds like a lemon and will get replaced..I'd be hesitant to ride it or do anything to it..might have been better to let them witness all the metal shavings and stuff you already drained..hope things work out smoothly and swiftly

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
man that sucks..sounds like a lemon and will get replaced..I'd be hesitant to ride it or do anything to it..might have been better to let them witness all the metal shavings and stuff you already drained..hope things work out smoothly and swiftly
I've got the poured off oil and the filter.

Here are pan pics. Brand new clean pan.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:43 PM
sjonestv
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Msn that sucks. The dealer should pick it and fix it. Just curious any idea of the build date?

Quick Reply: M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter