2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

most cost effective way to take luggage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Which bike are you riding?

Wife and I have an Ultra - 2 saddlebags and trunk. What we do is - regardless of how long we are gone (over 3 days), we pack for three days. Do laundry every 3rd day.
Doing so really limits what we take
Exactly how my wife and I do it. Also, we heading into the Rockies then to some other area that we don't need winter gear, once we finish the cold stuff we find a fedex-kinkos and ship it (and everything else we bought along the way) home.

If not for winter gear, we wouldn't have needed the T-Bag (which was empty by this time in our ride):

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 03-08-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Something like this should be sufficient. Whatever you choose, make sure the sleeve to secure it to the sissy bar is adequate. And remember that bigger is not always better...for luggage. Too much weight hanging off the back could make the front end squirrely.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-sissy-bar-bag

Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Saddlemen BR3400 mentioned above and it works great for longish trips on my RGS with a luggage rack. Held enough clothes for me and my wife on our trip to Laughlin last year and very easy to access items inside.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:01 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by TomboAT65
I have the Saddlemen BR3400 mentioned above and it works great for longish trips on my RGS with a luggage rack. Held enough clothes for me and my wife on our trip to Laughlin last year and very easy to access items inside.
Yep. I've said it many times - GREAT bag. Durable, more capacity than a chopped Tour-Pak, easy to get into and out of while it's mounted on the bike, lots of extra pockets, integrated rain cover, and at the end of the day, you can just carry it into your room/tent/cabin/boat/whatever.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,378 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Yep. I've said it many times - GREAT bag. Durable, more capacity than a chopped Tour-Pak, easy to get into and out of while it's mounted on the bike, lots of extra pockets, integrated rain cover, and at the end of the day, you can just carry it into your room/tent/cabin/boat/whatever.

I thought about you when I went to Avery Island last year and this picture made me chuckle again.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
I thought about you when I went to Avery Island last year and this picture made me chuckle again.
Hehehehe!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, all these pictures makes me want to take a road trip...3 days worth of stuff is what we take as well - Another idea if you are worried about stuff getting wet, we bought those reusable bags that you can squeeze all the air out and they seal up nice. Nice for saving room, keeps stuff dry and a place to hold your dirty clothes.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I vote for the luggage rack and strap on bag over the tour pack as well. Mine has never gotten wet and it goes on and off quickly. You can fit a lot of stuff in there and it goes in the room at night with me.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I've been kicking around the tour pak option. I think I'll just stick with a rack and rolling Harley bag. It came with a rain cover. Pack light !

We ride two up.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:55 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
I wanted a cost effective way to travel on my Dyna, so I have put a lot of miles on option 3 with my FLD. Including rain.

This is a T-Bags Route 66 Roller bag. The material is pretty water resistant, but it has a rain fly that adds another layer of protection. Great bag. I've had no major problems with it... Except that it doesn't fit on the back seat of my new Ultra Classic, hence I have it for sale.

Finding a second hand sissy bar set up is pretty painless. Search the "for sale" section here, set up eBay alerts, ask around your local HOG chapter. Or buy new from boardtracker or surdyke which seem to be the cheapest places for new HD parts.

This is my same exact setup and it works great!

Quick Reply: most cost effective way to take luggage?