Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary bearing upgrade question

Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Primary bearing upgrade question

Hey guys i need some help here. Im rebuilding my 2010 street glide 117 motor. Replacing busted S&S crank, new S&S piston and cylinders cam plate oil pump forged rocker arms. Delkron rocker supports. And evolution industries diamond terminator clutch basket which is an upgrade over their stock one as I was told. My stock clutch basket with scorpion clutch cracked also which could have been a bad situation if it actually blew through my primary which could have happened with the 2 cracks i had.

Anyway here is my question. I didnt do the original 117 motor. I had rosas do it for me. As im trying to install the inner primary I noticed the bearing wss rough so I decided to replace it. Went to harley and got the primary bearing kit. I open the package up and the bearing from Harley is different from the bearing inside the inner primary. The bearing i bought from harley was a roller bearing. While the bearing thats inside the inner primary is a sealed bearing. I guess when Rosa's did my 117 they installed a bearing upgrade kit. So im looking up upgraded primary bearing kit and all that comes up are Jims and Baker. But jims only go up to 2006 and baker goes up to 2007. So here is the question of the ages. Do I use the harley bearing kit and buy the mainshaft bushing. Or can i use the jims primary bearing upgrade or the baker high torque bearing kit with the sealed bearing even though the jims says up to 2006 and baker says up to 2007. Will they fit my 2010 street glide because i cant find anyone that makes a sealed bearing kit for 2010's.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Brian Kelley
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll get different opinions on this. A lot of people with experience on built motors with high h.p. & torque might tell you to stick with the inner race (sleeve) that presses onto the mainshaft, while keeping a stock or upgraded matching needle bearing inside the bore of the inner primary. That's essentially an OEM-stock setup. They say that it's stronger for the torque. The other camp says get rid of the inner race, as it can walk, and use a good sealed radial bearing that has its own inner race. Press that into the inner primary bore. That's like the Jim's or Baker. I used a Jim's on my '05 softail's inner primary. I personally don't know why you couldn't get the mainshaft and the bore of the inner primary miced up and then grab a really good sealed bearing that fits- Nachi, Timken, etc., getting rid of the inner race.

Last edited by Brian Kelley; 04-19-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cycler
Hey guys i need some help here. Im rebuilding my 2010 street glide 117 motor. Replacing busted S&S crank, new S&S piston and cylinders cam plate oil pump forged rocker arms. Delkron rocker supports. And evolution industries diamond terminator clutch basket which is an upgrade over their stock one as I was told. My stock clutch basket with scorpion clutch cracked also which could have been a bad situation if it actually blew through my primary which could have happened with the 2 cracks i had.

Anyway here is my question. I didnt do the original 117 motor. I had rosas do it for me. As im trying to install the inner primary I noticed the bearing wss rough so I decided to replace it. Went to harley and got the primary bearing kit. I open the package up and the bearing from Harley is different from the bearing inside the inner primary. The bearing i bought from harley was a roller bearing. While the bearing thats inside the inner primary is a sealed bearing. I guess when Rosa's did my 117 they installed a bearing upgrade kit. So im looking up upgraded primary bearing kit and all that comes up are Jims and Baker. But jims only go up to 2006 and baker goes up to 2007. So here is the question of the ages. Do I use the harley bearing kit and buy the mainshaft bushing. Or can i use the jims primary bearing upgrade or the baker high torque bearing kit with the sealed bearing even though the jims says up to 2006 and baker says up to 2007. Will they fit my 2010 street glide because i cant find anyone that makes a sealed bearing kit for 2010's.

I used the all ***** sealed bearing on my 01 but I just looked it up and guess they dont make it for the 08 and up. I have read allot about the S&S inner bearing race. Its tapered so it wont walk into your main drive seal.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Our high torque bearing only fits up to 07 because in 08 Harley changed the diameter of the mainshaft. I believe S&S makes a tapered race for the late models.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:14 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Go with the S&S Transmission Mainshaft Bearing Race
Part Number: 560-0241
o Will not “walk” on transmission mainshaft

https://www.sscycle.com/products/ss-...-hd-big-twins/

Old 04-27-2017, 01:37 AM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Our high torque bearing only fits up to 07 because in 08 Harley changed the diameter of the mainshaft. I believe S&S makes a tapered race for the late models.
So I got both the sealed bearing as well as the open bearing with the main shaft race from S&S and was debating which to use. I got the sealed bearing from Rolling Thunder here on long island. Funny thing is when I called that afternoon they only had the S&S main shaft race. When my prospect got there they had a delivery and lo and behold they had a sealed bearing come in which was made for my 2010 street glide so I told him to buy both the sealed bearing and the S&S main shaft race. Rosa's cycle also has the sealed bearing but the guy I spoke to said he had 2 different ones. One for a 5 speed and one for 6 speed so I decided to go with an open bearing instead and then Rolling thunder actually had it for my year.

I had my prospect get both the S&S main shaft race and the sealed bearing as I already had the open bearing I bought from harley. I keep seeing that the sealed bearing from jims and baker dont go to 2010 but rolling thunder assured me that the sealed bearing would fit the 2010 just like Rosa's installed. However I opted to go with the open bearing and main shaft race from S&S

I attempted to do the install however the evolution industries clutch basket seemed to sit further into the inner primary and didnt align properly with the front sprocket. Furthermore Im not sure why Rosas installed a manual tensioner instead of an automatic one when they put together my 117. Anyway I ordered a automatic Hayden tensioner. However when I tried to install the evolution clutch basket it didnt align with the front sprocket. Then I remembered a buddy of mine telling me since I had a timken bearing installed and a new bearing on the right side. The spacer I had on the front sprocket was too long an I needed a shorter one because mine may have been .032 to long. I searched on the web for answers and found a harley party number for this dilema. part number 11887 spacer for a timken bearing set up. Of course it wasnt in stock at my dealer and after checking other dealers none had it. So I did homework and zippers had it just like they had the gaskets for my 58mm throttle body that harley said was on indefinate back order.

So since I needed the .032 shorter spacer for the front sprocket which I hope will solve the evolution industries diamond terminator clutch problem of not lining up with my front sprocket. I ordered the evolution industries 30 tooth front sprocket that comes with a stronger chain since my primary chain had to much slack and I didnt want to chance it.

So lets keep our fingers crossed that the spacer which I order from zippers that is .032 shorter than the stock one helps with the problem of pushing back the front sprocket making the evolution clutch basket align with the front sprocket. If I only listened to Rosa's cycle from the beginning and didnt cheap out on the timken bearing and maybe even the evolution clutch basket I wouldnt be in this mess spending close to $4500 rebuilding this motor in parts which included S&S oil pump, cam plates, delkron rocker supports, forged S&S rocker arms and and a few things i may have forgot about. Next mess is figuring out why the S&S rocker arms arent a perfect fit for the delkron rocker supports and seem like they are wobbling. FML at this point. My first engine rebuild with the help of a buddy that is a mechanic but is making me do most of the work and even he is stumped by a few things here and there.