Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Ohlins FKC 101 questions

Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 PM
finespun automation llc
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohlins FKC 101 questions

Does anyone have a conversion for the recommended 80mm oil height to ounces or milli liters?

I know the standard way is to set the oil height with the proper tool. But the same can be accomplished by pouring in the correct volume of oil.... Just need to know what that is.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I've only recently built my forks with FKC101s and beg to differ! The instructions say to do it that way, which isn't difficult, to get best results. As a tip, passed on to me by an independent Ohlins expert, fill them to 65mm, not 80mm, to reduce brake dive.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 AM
finespun automation llc
Intermediate

I just bought the oil level gage. It is easy... I just didn't​ have the tool. Figured someone might have a good work around. Now... Oil level in forks is voodoo. I get the physics of it all. I don't mind​ a little dive under breaking. Just want the plush ride with the control. Those hard dry hits from the damper rod forks are just intolerable. Unbelievable they still used them in 2013.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I agree, the MoCo does the brand a big dis-service by not using good suspension. I have Ohlins front and rear on my Glide and reckon the top shelf Ohlins or equivilent should be stock on the CVO Touring models. The darned bikes cost enough!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM
finespun automation llc
Intermediate

I'm on your side... For the money some of the models should come better equipped. They have made some improvements in suspension on the newer bikes that I think is a step in the right direction... My goal is full Ohlins. Got rid of the air shocks last year and installed the H-D premium shocks. Big improvement. Forks this year and Ohlins shocks later in the summer or next year. We'll see what the wallet says.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member

A great ambition! If you haven't discovered him yet, when the time comes to get your shocks contact HDF sponsor Howard of Motorcycle Metal. It is largely thanks to him that Ohlins now takes the Harley market seriously and he makes Ohlins shocks that Ohlins themselves don't sell! I've had my shocks for about 8 years now - it's the only way to travel!

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM
finespun automation llc
Intermediate

I am aware of Howard... I have exchanged e-mails with him in the past but wasn't ready to pull the trigger at the time. I will very likely get my shocks from him when the time comes.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've only recently built my forks with FKC101s and beg to differ! The instructions say to do it that way, which isn't difficult, to get best results. As a tip, passed on to me by an independent Ohlins expert, fill them to 65mm, not 80mm, to reduce brake dive.
Graham, your forks are re-Valved and your fork level I told you to use will not work on the OEM stock Ohlins FKC-101/102. I never comment on your excellent advice but I do not wish you to give the inappropriate information as you pride yourself in helping with 100% accurate information. If you did say that you filled your forks up to your oil measurement I would not said a peep. Your forks are valved entirely different and will work way different (when finished) hopefully next riding season. You are a great asset to the HD community. Thanks for all.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Howard, I stand/sit corrected!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by finespun automation llc
Does anyone have a conversion for the recommended 80mm oil height to ounces or milli liters?

I know the standard way is to set the oil height with the proper tool. But the same can be accomplished by pouring in the correct volume of oil.... Just need to know what that is.

Thanks.
I see that you bought the fork oil level tool, but just wanted to say for my 2012 Ultra Limited I filled up both forks to 80mm of Ohlin fork oil, which ended up being 300 ml per fork. Just curious if you know how much oil your forks took?
I have a set of "old style" JRI 13" model B's I bought from a friend used, that were originally bought from Howard. The rear shock upgrade was a dramatic improvement. If I were buying rear shocks, I'd buy a set of Ohlins from Howard. Iv'e enjoyed talking to him a few times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins FKC 101 questions