Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster as a first bike for someone who wants to drive cross country in 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sportster as a first bike for someone who wants to drive cross country in 2 months?

First off this is my first post so I hope it is welcomed to the HD community and no matter whether my first bike is HD or Honda, I will be a HD owner one day in my life.

I've always dreamed of driving a motorcycle across the US. Last year I drove a Honda Win 110cc about 2000 miles across Laos and Vietnam. Please go ahead and laugh at the wimpy bike, but Vietnamese laws do not allow for bikes over 170cc and most of the 150cc's I saw were $3k compared to $300 I paid for my Win. Trust me, every day I wish I was on at least a 250. Now I want to live my dream of driving across the US. I've come across a few bikes I'm considering and would love help.

My top choice is a 2007 HD Sportster 1200 Custom with only 3k miles. At a cost of $4k, I know this is a steal. I've also always imagined doing this trip on a Harley.

Obvious choice for a beginner. 2007 Honda Rebel 250 w 6200 miles. $1800 firm.

Good middle choice is a 2006 Honda 600 Shadow w 5500 miles. Asking $3k. Can probably get to ~$2750.

As a first bike, some will say 1200 is too big for a beginner. Others will say 250 or 600 isn't enough for a cross country trip. And of course you'll get the people who say a beginner shouldn't drive cross country, which is exactly what I heard in Vietnam and I had the time of my life.

I have 2 months before I will need to leave on my journey, so I will have a bit of time to train myself. I also have a break in my job (teacher) so am off full time and can take long training trips weekly.

So, which would you choose?

Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
gottah8me (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Welcome to the forum
Out of those that you have listed --- the Sportster 1200 by all means , if that is a factory 1200 then the gear ratio might be OK . The Sportster line is normally geared low the 1200 should have a higher gear ratio if not it might be a good idea to have the ratio raised a little

Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate

81rat...Thanks for your response. I completely agree about it being the best bike, best deal, and overall best cross country bike out of the 3. I'm just a bit concerned I'm going to be surprised at the power when I test drive it. Last thing I want to do is have it come out from under me, realize it's too big, yet have to buy the bike as the seller said I must present $4k to him and if I don't want it I can surely have it back. You don't see this as a problem? Maybe I should've added to the beginning post that I'm 27yo, 5'11" and only 165lb.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by maKINGwaffles
First off this is my first post so I hope it is welcomed to the HD community and no matter whether my first bike is HD or Honda, I will be a HD owner one day in my life.

I've always dreamed of driving a motorcycle across the US. Last year I drove a Honda Win 110cc about 2000 miles across Laos and Vietnam. Please go ahead and laugh at the wimpy bike, but Vietnamese laws do not allow for bikes over 170cc and most of the 150cc's I saw were $3k compared to $300 I paid for my Win. Trust me, every day I wish I was on at least a 250. Now I want to live my dream of driving across the US. I've come across a few bikes I'm considering and would love help.

My top choice is a 2007 HD Sportster 1200 Custom with only 3k miles. At a cost of $4k, I know this is a steal. I've also always imagined doing this trip on a Harley.

Good middle choice is a 2006 Honda 600 Shadow w 5500 miles. Asking $3k. Can probably get to ~$2750.

As a first bike, some will say 1200 is too big for a beginner. Others will say 250 or 600 isn't enough for a cross country trip. And of course you'll get the people who say a beginner shouldn't drive cross country, which is exactly what I heard in Vietnam and I had the time of my life.

I have 2 months before I will need to leave on my journey, so I will have a bit of time to train myself. I also have a break in my job (teacher) so am off full time and can take long training trips weekly.

Thanks!!
Buy what you can afford and enjoy. They are all quiet capable from the factory, they know what they are doing. PS: You are big enough to ride anything you want.

Last edited by misput; 04-25-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I think sportsters are horrible beginner bikes, and have probably made more beginners give up than all other makes combined. That said, I've ridden in Vietnam, and if you can survive the traffic and roads there, you're good to go on anything. Just take it easy on the throttle till you get used the power.

The customs have forward pegs - your feet are at the front of the frame, difficult if not impossible to stand on the pegs for bumps, and give the bike a heavier feel than the mid pegs on most bikes and what you've been riding; you won't have as good a balance and it won't feel as nimble as with mid pegs. I've put mid pegs on a sportster before, left the forward pegs without pedals for highway pegs to stretch out on. I've got some of the parts to do that to my 1200C, hopefully pretty soon.

Most of the folks that have said anything about seats don't like the hard stock ones. I got a Harley "pillow look" seat that's way more padded with a much wider passenger section. It sets you back almost two inches from the stock one, which works good for my 6'3", but there are many aftermarket seats. If you get a used sportster seat, a lot of years won't interchange with a lot of other years, so that takes some research. Calling the rear shocks harsh is being kind. A really nice comfortable ride for low cost is putting a pair of used Road King air shocks on, just need a couple washers to space them out about 1/8th inch for clearance. I got mine for $50. That mod actually made my 1200 into a softer ride than most metrics I've ridden, and even some big twin Harleys. If you want to scrape pegs and mufflers on the sweepers, those might not be the best choice, but for my somewhat rare muffler grinds, they handle fine, actually seem to me to handle better than the stock ones did.

The 07s still have the skinny 21" front wheel, which isn't a problem if you don't have the OEM Harley Dunlop 400 series tire on it. That tire is the worst crack, bump and tar snake follower I've ever ridden on, and hitting an old cracked section of highway at 70 or more could result in the worst case of wiggles I ever experienced. I got rid of mine real quick and put Avons on; no wiggles at all. From reports on this forum, people get pretty good ride and traction from anything except those dunlops; I sure wouldn't want their handling on a coast to coast.

Sportsters are really reliable. Make sure the belt tension, rear wheel alignment is spot on, and primary chain tension is good, and I'd trust it for a Miami to Prudhoe Bay ride. My old body holding up would be a different matter...

Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

....Maybe I should've added to the beginning post that I'm 27yo, 5'11" and only 165lb.
My daughter had no trouble handling mine, and she's 5'7" and... lighter... than you.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

You WILL have to get used to ANY bike that you buy , and I really think you will love the power of the 1200 , you should have no problem for your size , it will not come out from under you . Take the step of the Sportster -- you will be glad you did
I still have my 1st bike a 81 Sportster bought it in '84 , at 63yrs I still ride it and a Tour Glide and I'm 5'8" 170lbs

Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome!

If you've gone cross-country for 2000 miles in Asia, then you're no beginner.
Why get a 600cc when you can get a 1200cc...
Yup, as you found out you can either be super cautious in life and then, one day you'll look pristine lying in that wooden casket; or you can be adventurous (without taking foolish risks) and have the time of your life!
Sportster 1200 no doubt.
Originally Posted by 81rat
The Sportster line is normally geared low the 1200 should have a higher gear ratio if not it might be a good idea to have the ratio raised a little
Replace the transmission sprocket with the international part (part number 40380-04) and you will have a slightly taller gearing that's more suited to freeways/long haul.

Other things to do:

If the Sportster you buy has stock seat and suspension, replace them asap.

If the Sportster you buy has stock mufflers, KEEP them. On long trips, the [quiet] stock mufflers make for a much peaceful ride. Constant noise gets tiring after a few days.
Maybe I should've added to the beginning post that I'm 27yo, 5'11" and only 165lb.
You're young, go for it! I'm 5'5" and only 145lb. I have the 2007 XL1200L; it was my first Harley.

HTH and good luck.

Last edited by lewk; 04-25-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

You rode in Laos and VN. You likely have more experience (or higher quality experience) than many people here.

I would prefer a "full height" Sportster which has the full range of suspension as you will need it both for highway comfort and for gear. The Custom will be a bit lower than full height but may be ok - especially if it happens to have premium shocks like Progressive brand.

Of all the bikes you mentioned, the 1200 would be the best and I'm no fanboy.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 AM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate

Wow guys. Thanks for all the great responses. And yes I rode in Laos and Vietnam, but it was totally different than the roads I'll ride here. Half the roads were gravel, tons of mountains, lots of pot holes, but with a 110cc I was s-weaving struggling to get up hills and topping out at 60 mph downhill full throttle. Not to mention it was a 220lb bike that broke nearly every day. Don't even get me started about the traffic. It's nuts but luckily I have an automatic scooter for getting to places within the city.

I'm going to test drive the bike tomorrow and have gotten really excited about this in the past couple hours haha. Please keep giving input as I still have one friend that thinks I should go with a 600 max. He's no pro but has ridden bikes for a few years. My other veteran bike friend said 1200 no problem.

Last edited by maKINGwaffles; 04-26-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Sportster as a first bike for someone who wants to drive cross country in 2 months?