Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Inner Primary Bearing #2 Removal Photos

Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts
Default 2006 Inner Primary Bearing #2 Removal Photos

Original bearing lasted about 5,000 miles, replacement lasted about 33,000 miles. I got a Baker sealed bearing this time but it wasn't really a true sealed bearing, so I removed the covers and ported the oil feed.

Thirteen rollers, eight chewed up, five had normal wear, inner race had normal wear.

Using Amsoil ATF

I previously installed a Screamin Eagle compensator with the 2007 and up rotor & stator. I removed them only to inspect them during the inner primary bearing replacement, there was only a little bit of shavings stuck to the rotor magnets and the compensator had minimal wear, so you can probably just leave the compensator alone and just remove the outer primary, clutch assembly, tensioner, chain, and the inner primary. If you have the original rotor it might be a good time to pull it to torque and tack weld the screws.

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Possible causes, flip a coin:
Alignment (Primary to Trans shaft)
Too much tension on chain (Automatic tensioner)
Oil starvation (Oil feed hole not capturing enough oil, may also be starved if idled on the kickstand for too long)
Inferior bearing material

Inner primary bearing failure:

Oil starvation (Oil feed hole not capturing enough oil, may also be starved if idled on the kickstand for too long)
Inferior bearing material

2005 And Earlier No Dowel Bushings Manual Chain Tensioner

2006 No Dowel Bushings Automatic Chain Tensioner

2007 And Later With Dowel Bushings Automatic Chain Tensioner

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 06-29-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added info
The following 5 users liked this post by WS6 Formula:
3dynaP (04-29-2017), esteboatan (04-27-2017), iqbaliqbal (05-04-2018), SixDD (04-29-2017), tunafisher729 (05-24-2018)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM
turboc
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for documenting the bearing change. I have almost 22,000 on the first bearing in my 06 FXDL and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:22 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice pics and interesting, love this stuff!

Couple of questions:

Did you decide to port the oil feed oil on your own or did Baker recommend it?

Does the new Baker bearing come with the new race? Did you have to press it on by itself or was it already combined with the bearing and installed with the inner primary somehow?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:17 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

The baker bearing doesn't use a race. Baker has recommended removing one of the shields to get more oil

The following users liked this post:
HD Pilot (04-28-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Nice pics and interesting, love this stuff!

Couple of questions:

Did you decide to port the oil feed oil on your own or did Baker recommend it?

Does the new Baker bearing come with the new race? Did you have to press it on by itself or was it already combined with the bearing and installed with the inner primary somehow?

Thanks!
This was my own idea, since the bearing turned out not to be a true sealed bearing I figured the grease would probably dissolve in the hot primary oil over time and the shields would also limit oil getting in. So I removed the shields and ported the oil feed to capture more oil to feed more to the bearing. I did the same on a friends bike last year, see below quote.

The Baker bearing is just a regular bearing that gets pressed into the inner primary housing just like the original, the inner race thru hole is honed out for a slip fit onto the transmission shaft. The original bearings inner race is separate and gets pressed onto the transmission shaft. See below photos.

Baker bearing

Original bearing

Shielded bearing

Sealed bearing

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Some advice I passed on to my friend below, He is using the Baker bearing on a 2006 Low Rider:

Looks like the Harley Davidson fix of dowel pinning the trans housing to the inner primary for alignment might not be the fix as later models are having the same issue with the updated housings.

Inferior bearing material (They had a updated inner race P/N)

Remove the bearing seals, chamfer the oil feed hole to capture more oil by grinding the material between the webs, you are going to make it like a little cup with the feed hole at the bottom of the cup. Set the the primary up right and spray some Windex or what ever on the primary and see how it flows into the chamfer to get an idea when you have grinded enough material off. Make sure the circlip isn't blocking the oil hole.

Use a bottle jack and a socket between you trucks differential, and the housing on a piece of cardboard to press the bearing in and out. Housing in oven at 200*F new bearing in freezer.

Shim material, yes, you need that to make sure that the bearing is centered on the shaft.

Bearing is self centered in the housing because of the press fit, not self centering on the shaft because the Baker bearing is too loose of a fit.

The other alignment would be when you install the housing, put all the bolts in and slowly crank each of them down evenly starting with a low torque, and slowly increase the torque until you reach full final torque. Purpose is not to put any preload on the bearing, so the housing isn't shifting and pushing up, down, left, or right.

Originally Posted by misfitJason
The baker bearing doesn't use a race. Baker has recommended removing one of the shields to get more oil
Is that on their website? I could see removing both, drilling some bleed holes and reinstalling one shield on the clutch side so you would puddle up oil in the bearing as well as having a good oil flow going through.

The following 2 users liked this post by WS6 Formula:
HD Pilot (04-29-2017), SixDD (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 10:32 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Good interesting, technical stuff with pics - my favorite type of Thread!

I've swapped out my IPB but just replaced with the stock HD part, so seeing how the Baker works is cool.

Thanks for all the pics and info, I know it takes extra time but "we the people" are appreciative!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Thank you for the pics! As a 2006 owner this may come in handy one day.

So the post 2006 models are having this IPB issue too?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Excellent thread/pics, this is good stuff!

Old 04-29-2017, 12:18 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey, Formula!

Great write-up and visuals, thanks for posting! Can you describe the symptoms you heard or felt that caused you to open up the primary for a look-see? Thx!
~

Old 04-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

OP you're as careful and clean as a surgeon ! Great job!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Inner Primary Bearing #2 Removal Photos