Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 street bob rpms drop lights go out for 1 second

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Sleep Causality
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 street bob rpms drop lights go out for 1 second

Ok So I had this problem about a month ago when i took my 2012 street bob out of storage. After ridding about 30 minutes or so the bike will start to act up. The rpms will drop to zero and the lights will dim or go our for just a second and usually the bike will buck hard. Then the rpms go right back up to where they were as if everything was fine. It will keep doing it at random and if i keep ridding it will cut the engine off completely but the lights stay on. If I pull over and let it sit for about 20 minutes I will be able to ride again with out an issue. After 30 min again it will start doing it.

So last month I thought maybe just bad gas from sitting all winter. I cleared out the gass and put fresh gas in. Problem solved or so I thought. Since then I would say i put n thousand miles no issues. Until last night it started again. I read ton of forums and it seems like 100 different problems.

I did get a new battery and checked the connections so far. Air cleaner looks ok but thinking its about time for a new one anyway. I dont think thats the problem tho since the light go out.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

It's not your air cleaner unless it's never been serviced or replaced. You didn't say what air cleaner you have, or how many miles on the bike, or if it has a tuner or not.
When you checked the battery connections did you look at the ground cable at the starter?
Other usual suspects are a dirty fuel filter, crud in the tank, a pinhole in the internal fuel line or a dirty IAC.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Sleep Causality
Stage III

I don't have a tuner, standard air filter and I have about 10k miles.

As for the wiring the only thing i checked was connections on the battery and the pigtails on there. I got the batter a month ago ( ironically when this started). I considered removing the pigtails I keep attached. The new battery sites a little further out the my previous one. I was worried the terminals were hitting the metal box. I didnt think to much into it though since the pos one still has plastic cover.

Thinking of it now I did forget to mention one thing. A month ago when I had the issue I added brass adapter to make up for the indent of the terminals and batter sidewall. This was My connections sat flush. Between that and new gas I thought I solved the problem back then.

Ill try and check the ground then fule filer then iac tonight/tomorrow.... planned to pop the seat off tonight and make sure no bad wires or lose connections.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Sleep Causality
Stage III

Ok I figured I'd give an update since I found the problem.... my pigtail on my battery tender was melted to the screw. It was lose but very melted haha. I removed the cable and replaced the screw. She started right up (usually gave me hard start) and I went on 3 hour ride without one issue.