2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you ride with cooling system broken?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:57 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Can you ride with cooling system broken?

Hello,

I did a search and can't find any "recent" answers. I see a lot of issues with cooling systems back in time a bit.

Here's my question. I was at my dealer a couple of days ago looking at a new Limited. We got to talking about the reliability of the new water cooling and not wanting a bike that might leave me stranded. I was surprised by the salesperson next statement. He said you can continue to ride all you want without the water cooling working. For example, even without coolant, or if the fans don't work, or if the pump isn't working. He said it's an air cooled motor after all with water cooling added mainly to keep riders more comfortable. I want to say one thing. I've bought 4 bikes at this dealer over the last 10 plus years. This salesman has been the "go to" guy since before I bought my first bike there. So he has at least 10 years at the same dealer. And probably a lot more.

Having said all that...is this true? Has anyone done it? How long did you ride like that?

Thanks,

Dave.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:00 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

That's what Harley service told me, when mine went out. I've not had any issues in the last 17K miles, since mine was replaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by greg09997:
rider5 (07-05-2017), The Pawnbroker (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:23 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Was told the same by the dealer that fixed mine, I rode it there, approximately 40 miles from home, but I would probably contact HD to make sure

The following users liked this post:
The Pawnbroker (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:59 PM
FL15TG
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here, was told cooling was for stuck in traffic (for biker comfort)- bike will run okay without it. I have a '15 103.

The following users liked this post:
The Pawnbroker (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bike goes into limp home mode when overheating from lack of water supply. Restricts speed and ride distance to save motor. Just ask the guys who it happened to with the early introduction and all the recalls with water neck & thermostat problems.
That's why I didn't buy one, the air cooled Rushmore 103 bike won't leave you stranded!

The following 2 users liked this post by motoXjoe:
Just Me (05-01-2017), sirrat007 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:59 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by motoXjoe
Bike goes into limp home mode when overheating from lack of water supply. Restricts speed and ride distance to save motor. Just ask the guys who it happened to with the early introduction and all the recalls with water neck & thermostat problems.
That's why I didn't buy one, the air cooled Rushmore 103 bike won't leave you stranded!
This isn't true according to my dealer. And the above people seem to have been told the same thing. I've read quite a few posts now where people were told to ride their bikes quite a long way to get to a dealer for repairs. Where did you hear anything about the bike going into "limp" mode? I want to know this for sure before I buy a new bike. If you would, please point me to any kind of documentation you know about.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 AM
AXL'14FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer stated the same as everybody else is stating here, if you have an issue with your water cooling you just keep riding and get it repaired when you can.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:48 AM
mgmonster
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 17 Ultra Limited. My dealer also said the bike was rideable. He did say that in context of getting to the dealer for repairs.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 AM
mjmanna
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Two weeks ago, I had my water pump go out at 57K on my 14 Limited. I was 400 miles from home. IMO you should not ride with the cooling system non operational. Says that in my owners manual and if you cause more damage by riding it I doubt that any extended warranty will cover the damage. There is no "limp mode" when the cooling system goes out. Nearest dealer had just closed and the person I talked to said I could ride it home, I knew better than that. The water cooling keeps the exhaust valves cool not the rider. Anyway dealer came and picked up bike (I did ride the 4 miles to my hotel and the heads were hot, water in resovior was room temp) on a Sunday morn . No water pump in stock. They overnighted the parts and replaced the thermostat and pump, cost me the $50 ESP or it would of cost $600. Can't say enough about the excellent service that Renegade HD provided to get me back on the road.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM
mjmanna
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a follow-up to my previous post, I would have ridden to the dealer if they were open. The were about 12 miles away and if I got stuck in traffic I could shut the motor down. the 17s have a different set up. The thermostat has been eliminated and the water pump is controlled by the ecm.

Quick Reply: Can you ride with cooling system broken?