Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

question on lifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:17 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Default question on lifters

I am replacing a warped rocker box base on my TC88 and considering installing some Rockouts while I'm in there. If I decide to and pull the front cover off, should I replace the lifters? The bike has ~63K on it and I believe they are the stock lifters. The previous owner had the tensioner conversion done at about 45K, I'll check the paperwork he gave me to be sure, but I don't remember seeing anything when I looked it over.

Thanks

Nick

Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM
oldbuck
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 201 Posts

At least pull them out to examine them, if it was me, I would replace with aftermarket, not the Harley c lifters

Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have woods lifters that have about 1500 miles on them. Swapped them out over a year ago when I built out mines to a 97". Thought they were making too much noise so put in some S&S standards and no change even with pushrods set at .140. Anyways, if you're interested PM me.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:49 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by predatornut
I am replacing a warped rocker box base on my TC88 and considering installing some Rockouts while I'm in there. If I decide to and pull the front cover off, should I replace the lifters? The bike has ~63K on it and I believe they are the stock lifters. The previous owner had the tensioner conversion done at about 45K, I'll check the paperwork he gave me to be sure, but I don't remember seeing anything when I looked it over.

Thanks

Nick

63k I would definitely be looking at lifters long as I had things apart anyway. S&S standards are great, I have the pin oiler Johnson Highlifts from WFO Larry in mine https://squareup.com/store/larrysmcymachineinc nice & quiet.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
63k I would definitely be looking at lifters long as I had things apart anyway. S&S standards are great, I have the pin oiler Johnson Highlifts from WFO Larry in mine https://squareup.com/store/larrysmcymachineinc nice & quiet.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
Damn! Those are some expensive lifters... $600/set. Wowsa!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:48 AM
predatornut
Tourer

Originally Posted by Road Star
Yeah, those are a bit over my budget! Thanks for the advice, I ordered S&S standards.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Lol.... those prices are for a set not each

Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Lol.... those prices are for a set not each

Yeah, they are $149 each, for the top of the line. Their standard lifter is $79, for one.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:37 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Yeah, they are $149 each, for the top of the line. Their standard lifter is $79, for one.
That is NOT true. I just recently bought mine through that link. Those prices are for a set of 4.

WFOLarry https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-wfolarry.html is a member here, PM him for verification.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM
predatornut
Tourer

Looking at his site it looked like that was the price per lifter. If he sees this maybe he would consider updating his site to clarify, I probably would have bought those if I had known that was the price per set.

Quick Reply: question on lifters