General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got used to riding the Softail...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Got used to riding the Softail...

I have been riding the Softail for the past two to three weeks, since I have had the Road King disassembled. That Fatboy is quite different than the Road King, stretches you out a bit, your feet/legs and arms. I got back on the Road King yesterday for a spin around the block and wow, I felt cramped! It's like I was more upright, my feet were not as far forward.
It's funny, it just felt really strange at first. I dunno, I think I need to go for a couple of test rides to see how some of the other bikes feel. Been thinking about a Road Glide, 2015 or newer; wonder how that will be.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the opposite. I had a Softail Heritage and changed for an Ultra Limited. Made 800kms day on the Heritage and on the UL. But the UL is much more comfortable, relaxed and agile than the Softail in my experience. But again, for 'around the church' I would prefer the Softail, while for the long haul I would prefer the UL. I can afford myself only one bike and that is the UL, defenitely. I am 6'3 and 230 lbs, maybe that makes the difference?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

When I switched from a Heritage to my Streetglide I couldn' t believe how cramped I felt at first. I really miss having my legs stretched out.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,200 Posts

I had both a RK, and RGU and an ST. The RK and the RGU have almost an exact riders box. There's a huge difference btw the RK and the RGU when riding though..

Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Totally different ride. I agree 100%, when going from the softail custom with extended forwards and wide beach bars, to the ultra classic with floorboards and stock bars. The ultra feels almost cramped up comparatively, although after a few miles I'm used to it. Just 2 completely different setups, both serve a differ purpose I guess.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
When I switched from a Heritage to my Streetglide I couldn' t believe how cramped I felt at first. I really miss having my legs stretched out.
I keep seeing the "how cramped I felt" how many have tried a different seat?
Or have your seat modified to position you correctly on the bike?
I am short so "cramped" is normally not an issue, it's can't reach, all stretched out, or can't flat foot it.

I did and my bike fits me almost like a limited low (it's just right).

Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The big difference for me I guess is leg placement. On the softy, legs are out. On the ultra legs are at 90 unless I use the highway pegs. I guess cramped is the wrong word for me more like crammed.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 821 Posts

I've owned three different baggers. Two ElectraGlides and a Road King, and I felt cramped on all of them. I didn't realize how comfortable a bike could be until I got a Superglide with forward controls! Most comfortable bike I've ever owned! Much better than any "tourer" I've had. Everybody has different shaped bodies, but a Dyna with forward controls just fits me perfectly.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

At 5'8", I don't have to worry about feeling cramped on anything. I love my RK - still getting used to it, but so far so good. Loved my SG as well. But as far as "fit" goes, nothing beats my FatBoy. That's why I'll have that bike until I can't ride anymore.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Well, I would consider changing the seat, bars and floorboards. Not sure if I will do all of those, maybe just start with the seat.

Quick Reply: Got used to riding the Softail...