Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

NGK Iridium Plugs in stock TC88" 06' FXDLI results

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Hoppergrass
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NGK Iridium Plugs in stock TC88" 06' FXDLI results

At first when I tried the NGK Iridiums, my bike sucked in Gas Mileage. From 45 to 35 mpg. It started Quicker, and bike felt the same, but I took em out anyway. Got to reading a little more about different spark plug gaps, and decided to try a different gaps with them. I should add, I have a wire type gapper. Went from the factory .40 gap to .35, and its noticably stronger in the 2500-3500 rpm range with the NGKs now. Even riding 2 Up it's noticable. The Exhaust Note from the Screamin Eagle slip ons even sounds different, and better. With stock plugs, if I don't let my bike warm up fully before I drive off, it doesn't pull as hard, and the exhaust note doesn't sound as good. But when she's nice and toasty, the SE exhaust has a hamonically trumpet like sound. Like multiple notes that musically go together. Bumps raise on my arms it sounds so good. But now, the NGK Iridiums @ .35 gap instead of stock .40, it's sounds harmonic all the time, and pulls a little stronger than before. Even without warming up! Haven't​ checked my Mileage yet, but I'll be posting it later.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

You bike runs a Delphi ECM that uses the spark plugs to sense for detonation.. The problem is that the Iridiums make the ECM think that there is detonation when there is not and it retards the ignition timing.. That is the reason for your gas millage loss... You'd be better off with stock plugs..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Tc88b
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You bike runs a Delphi ECM that uses the spark plugs to sense for detonation.. The problem is that the Iridiums make the ECM think that there is detonation when there is not and it retards the ignition timing.. That is the reason for your gas millage loss... You'd be better off with stock plugs..
I put NGK iridiums in my twin cam 88 and they fouled up instantly with carbon coming out of the exhaust. The bike hesitated too. It is EFI. Do you think the problem is related to the ECM? Lots of guys have no problems running iridium from what I've read.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Tc88b
I put NGK iridiums in my twin cam 88 and they fouled up instantly with carbon coming out of the exhaust. The bike hesitated too. It is EFI. Do you think the problem is related to the ECM? Lots of guys have no problems running iridium from what I've read.
Go back to stock plugs first.. Probably not the ECM. The problem is that that tune of the motor will make the issue better or worse.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The problem is not with the ecm. The problem is with the plugs. They were not designed to work with the ion sensing in the ecm. See post #2. Run stock plugs!!!!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Tc88b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Go back to stock plugs first.. Probably not the ECM. The problem is that that tune of the motor will make the issue better or worse.
Hi Max,
I put the old OEM plugs back in and everything worked fine again. I have a FI2000 Cobra tuner installed. Should I try the Iridiums again and lean the fuel mixture? Could that help?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

Why do you think you need to run the iridium plugs? There is NO advantage in doing so. As you’ve seen, the ecm doesn’t like them!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Tc88b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbarr1
Why do you think you need to run the iridium plugs? There is NO advantage in doing so. As you’ve seen, the ecm doesn’t like them!
I just thought they would produce a better spark but I guess I'm wrong. I'l stay with the tried and true. What plugs do you recommend other than the OEM ones? I don't have a HD dealership nearby. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

Champion 6R12 or Autolite 4265 work.

The following users liked this post:
Tc88b (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Such foolish thinking. Use HD stock plugs--or a direct locally available equivalent. Aftermarket (space age) plugs will not do a damn thing for performance, starting, longevity or anything else. Lots of goofy ideas regularly witnessed on this site. Lots of aftermarket items for HD definitely improve performance. Plugs are not one of these.

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium Plugs in stock TC88" 06' FXDLI results