Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back in... Cylinders and pistons time

Old 06-16-2017, 02:24 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Going back in... Cylinders and pistons time

Well after sitting on the new 107 cylinders and pistons since January, I finally decided that the time was right to get this done in conjunction with my 15000 mile service.

Since I did the heads from Veetwin along with the Fueling Cams last time, I purchased the remaining items from Kirby as well.

This will probably take me a while, Our temperatures will be over 110 degrees each day for the next couple of weeks (months), so while perfect timing to not be riding, the garage gets super hot pretty early. I set up a fan but may purchase a swamp cooler to help if I need to. I bike ride most mornings at 6am, figure I'll take some work vacation time, do MC work from about 9-noon each day. By 11am today it was already well over 100!

Started by moving stuff in the garage around. The MC shares a parking area with our golf cart, so I moved my car out of the main garage to sit outside and put the cart there so that I'd have more space. today's goal was to set up the garage, tables, and start the top end disassembly.

Easy tank removal, maybe two drops of gas spilled. More came out when removing the quick disconnect on the side.

First Question. The Spark Plugs are original, do they look ok or is it time to replace? If replacing any plug in particular worth while?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Few more pics since I only had a couple of hours today. Got small parts in bags and labeled. Those allen bolts holding the Intake Manifold suck as badly as I remembered. I've already purchased new 12pt stainless versions that hopefully will be easier.

Questions 2 & 3 coming up below!

AC Backplate that holds the external breathers, broken via vibration, second time this has happened, but DK Customs warranty's them well. Going to give them a call for replacement.

Question 2: I'm replacing only the cylinders and pistons, so can I simply label my pushrods well and keep them as is length wise, or should I loosen them up and reset length once done? I'll be keeping the cam chest intact for this service, no reason to open it up.

Intake area looking pretty clean after a year's worth of riding! I remember the stock heads being covered in soot when I pulled them last.

Question 3: Intake Manifold gaskets, do they need to be replaced each time I remove the throttle body, or are these still fine?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:39 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Its the most wonderful time of the year

gaskets? Why not. $5 is cheaper than tearing down the a/c and yanking off the manifold twice to fix a leak

Last edited by cvaria; 06-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Søren Rix Petersen (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Hear, Hear!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Good point! I'll get new ones assuming they didn't come with my Gasket kit for the cylinders.

Any thoughts on the spark plugs and push rods?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Miss you Suede, hope all is well!

Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Well after sitting on the new 107 cylinders and pistons since January, I finally decided that the time was right to get this done in conjunction with my 15000 mile service.
Sounds like a standard 15k service...

Replace the plugs, and readjust the pushrods. Might be a slight difference in height with new cylinders/gaskets. Then you know it's right.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Sounds like a standard 15k service...

Replace the plugs, and readjust the pushrods. Might be a slight difference in height with new cylinders/gaskets. Then you know it's right.
Thanks and will do! Are all plugs essentially the same?

How is your bike doing, I hadn't seen if your tune was complete yet?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm using NGK DCPR8E plugs. If I remember right they're one step colder than stock, seemed to be a good place to start based on my google research.

I've got almost 100 miles on since picking it up from the tuner Wednesday. I haven't fully opened it up yet, other than a few short bursts. It definitely gets up and moves.

You'll have to refresh my memory... what heads and cams do you have? Are you going from 103" to 107"?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I'm using NGK DCPR8E plugs. If I remember right they're one step colder than stock, seemed to be a good place to start based on my google research.

I've got almost 100 miles on since picking it up from the tuner Wednesday. I haven't fully opened it up yet, other than a few short bursts. It definitely gets up and moves.

You'll have to refresh my memory... what heads and cams do you have? Are you going from 103" to 107"?
Yup going 103 to 107, didn't want to look at the bottom end and was stuck thinking I would need to if going bigger. I already have kirby's (veetwin) stage 2 heads and some fueling 574 cams, now just adding the cylinders and pistons but can't remember which ones he sent.

Garage is stinking hot. Left for my Saturday bike ride at 6:30 and it was already 80 degrees. Well over 95 when I got back. Cranked up the fans in the garage but only managed to finish the dissassembly of heads and cylinders before it got too warm easily 100 plus in there with door open.

Now I can wash my new cylinders and have them ready for tomorrow I hope to install then.

I assume just soap and water followed by captain marvel's miracle oil seems to be what most recommend?

Did this powder coating on the rear cylinder burn off from heat or something? Should I be worried?

The following 2 users liked this post by robbyville:
cvaria (06-17-2017), F86 (06-18-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going back in... Cylinders and pistons time