Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power vs. more speakers vs. higher efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts
Default More power vs. more speakers vs. higher efficiency

So which one do you guys think you need for the loudest or best sounding system? I remember a time when it was all about how many speakers you could cram on your bike, there was a time when bridging was bad and should only be used for subs, then after a while we shifted to having to bridged everything.

When high efficiency pro audio speakers like the Hertz SPL became popular in the bike world some folks didn't like them because they had no "bass", yet here recently we've seen a rise in popularity in MMats, horns, etc. So is high efficiency the way to go.

So my question for the guys hunting their unicorn.....what do you think you need. More power, more speakers, more efficiency. (Hint --- you can't say all of it!!).

Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Stuntmeat
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm thinking more efficiency. You wouldn't need as much to get the same output.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Pologreen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez man, I was hoping you would tell me, lol

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
So my question for the guys hunting their unicorn.....what do you think you need. More power, more speakers, more efficiency. (Hint --- you can't say all of it!!).
Well, there goes my answer lol.

The more I listen to my setup the only thing missing is the low booming bass, but then again I really don't want subs on the bike (granted Voodoo's new tour pak enclosure is tempting).

I started out thinking I needed more and more power and now I'm going in the direction of less power is more. I'd love to have you hear this in person Haze to see if there is an area I could improve on.

I'm still an old bass head and would like more bass and more speakers in the bags is the only thing I can think of for that and I also know there is only so much air space to work with and I don't really want to go to a fourth amp if I can avoid it, but not afraid to (run on sentence lol).

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Man, I know u don't want my answer on this as it will be bad for sales but I own sleds to ride them and everything else is a feature. My TP and bags are sacred beyond having lid speaks and one set of 8s inside the bags facing the wheel.

With that being said, I'm gonna fill every speaker hole with full range sound that does well from each location and does not need another location to fill the gap. That's parking lot shix or inside a car shix. 1 up, 2 up, 30 mph or 80 mph that shix has to have great full range sound coming from anywhere u can get it, not a hope that the inside the bag Speaks can provide fill for your lids or even your fairing.

So to answer your question, it's the most efficient but best sounding speaker first, then the power required to make it sing, with significant limitations on the highest priority of bag and TP space being available to actually tour. Of course reliability is paramount.

I think the first factor is budget, then competition or rider, then space limitations. Those factors will drive the bus initially then genre.

2 amps
6 8 inch non PA speakers
2 Bass/low-midrange/midrange woofs in fairing
2 tweeters mounted in grills

Each location is stand alone solid, imho. And I think that really is the best strategy to manage they dynamic environment and riding conditions associated with dudes that ride versus those that want to compete. A DB meter does not mean shix to me and never will.

The Cave Man.

Last edited by Tailwind; 06-19-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Clash
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 factory speaker holes thats all im gonna use, I ride a lot, short ride is 200 miles round trip. I dont want to lose space in my bags or pack. I want the most efficient system that I can get which will let me hear my music at 80 -85 as cleanly as possible.

The following users liked this post:
SgtDuckyBoy (06-28-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Man, I know u don't want my answer on this as it will be bad for sales .
All answers are welcomed man, nothing to do with sales or bikes that are ridden vs. ones that compete.

Heck my new set up is a sound quality one, nothing to do with a meter....and I'm only running 6 speakers!

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 06-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned

Originally Posted by Clash
I have 4 factory speaker holes thats all im gonna use, I ride a lot, short ride is 200 miles round trip. I dont want to lose space in my bags or pack. I want the most efficient system that I can get which will let me hear my music at 80 -85 as cleanly as possible.
Clash efficiency is a great choice! I like running high efficient drivers myself but there's a catch ---- limited frequency output.

I've read a few posts lately of guys trying to hunt down a super efficient speaker that can play pretty low frequencies. Thing is that monster doesn't exist. It's not because no one has built it, it's because there is no current technology that can do it. For guys hunting efficiency google Hoffman's Iron Law. This link is a good read below.

https://trueaudio.com/st_trade.htm

Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
This link is a good read below.

https://trueaudio.com/st_trade.htm
Good read

Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

So many also overlook efficient as just a speaker rating. System setup to achieve maximum efficiency is far more than just speakers and power ratings. It is having each speaker do its own job in select frequencies, and the correct power, you will have the most efficient system. Solely they will not sound ideal, but that isn't the goal. The goal is the mid be a mid, the high be a high. Set each to provide a certain bandwidth of playback​. That takes things like dsp or active xovers, and the available amplifier channels to so. End results far surpass any full range from every angle.

Quick Reply: More power vs. more speakers vs. higher efficiency