Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TP Speakers - The most neglected speaker location on a sled?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts
Default TP Speakers - The most neglected speaker location on a sled?

Thousands of miles of forum thread has been spent on fairing, lower, and lid discussions but what about the poor TP?

Seems that there are just a handful of "go to" speakers for this location. Good speakers, but has anyone found the TP unicorn?

T.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 PM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Thousands of miles of forum thread has been spent on fairing, lower, and lid discussions but what about the poor TP?

Seems that there are just a handful of "go to" speakers for this location. Good speakers, but has anyone found the TP unicorn?

T.
I think Voodoo has a great TP speaker, oh wait, that is a new lid for your TP.

I know a guy thats trying out some different options as we speak, hopefully he will chime in and let all you know what he finds.

But, I will say that I think the CX62's sound pretty darn good in that location.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:26 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Give me a week for some data but this again falls into where the finish line is. For a component speaker front end/average joe setup I don't think the CX62s can be beat because the sound super great and they are shallow enough to fit. In the TP pod, the depth/magnet width is the biggest challenge. So what about for the guy who is running PAs up front and haste lids and 8s in the bags? That's the option I'm exploring and those options are very limited because of the confined space as well as how will they blend in with the other speakers? It's entirely possible that I'm getting a lot more from the CX62s than I even realize so I'm going to toy with a couple different speaks and see what I can learn.

That said I think we've established that for a budget speaker back there, Gann has his budget friendly Pioneers. My opinion is that for the upper level coax back there the CX62s have it locked in at the upper end of the list. Now the question is what will the tradeoff be by finding a PA to work back there...how much warmth will I lose versus how much volume will I gain and there's a magic point in that continuum that makes the decision easy.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Since there is some pretty big rain exposure to those Speaks, any input on the marine stuff?

Disclaimer, I do not have TP pods but damn curious to see how much R&D can be done / has been done to deliver the best possible sound at that location. Of course considering the various budgets and also the various freq ranges that are desired by the rider.

Thx for doing the heavy lifting on this C and P!!!

A short list of proven shix will be a huge help for the majority of the folks sticking with Ultra stock locations for their audio upgrades.

T.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I wasn't able to find a set of speakers I liked for the 14 and up tp pods. They all sounded better when you cracked the lid and sounded stuffy when the lid was closed.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Thx for doing the heavy lifting on this C and P!!!

A short list of proven shix will be a huge help for the majority of the folks sticking with Ultra stock locations for their audio upgrades.

T.[/QUOTE]
Great work guys. Thanks for sharing. I'm sticking with the pods and no bag lid speakers so this is big for me and others like T said. I'm running a set of RF power series coax back there now and like them for sq but won't handle much juice.....
Kris

Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

As many tp speakersthat ive tried I'm having a hard time getting past the focal krc 165.
I've not tried the moto 602 and the cx62's back there but I just can imagine them sounding better.

Has anyone run the focal krc165 AND the cx62's that can chime in with a comparison of the two in the tp??

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
As many tp speakersthat ive tried I'm having a hard time getting past the focal krc 165.
I've not tried the moto 602 and the cx62's back there but I just can imagine them sounding better.

Has anyone run the focal krc165 AND the cx62's that can chime in with a comparison of the two in the tp??
I've ran the focal KRC 165's back there and they are AWESOME in that location. Never ran the AD's but the AD's sound just like the Focals so I would imagine they are awesome as well. When I had the stock pods my go to speaker was always the Polk MM651's until they had the tweeter stalk problems. Polk has a new speaker out now called the MM1 series. I have not purchased a set to try yet. But I'd say those speakers will do well in the stock pods. But as Tesnevo stated if you can get the focal Krc's to fit the stock pods. It truly doesn't get much better than that and that's coming from a guy whos' had at least 50 sets of speakers back there.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:07 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Gann, which Pioneer is your budget Blue Ribbon speaker for the pods? I can't remember which model it is

Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I am running the HAT Clarus Mid-range and HAT Legatia L1V2 tweeters in my faring and the DD AW's in my rear speaker pods. I am pushing the Faring setup with a DA Micro2v2 and the AW's with a RF TM400x2

I really like the AW's in the pods, it gives great fill and pop at lower speeds and the parking lot and with the design of the trike body protecting them, I can still hear them at 70 MPH at 3/4 volume.

Quick Reply: TP Speakers - The most neglected speaker location on a sled?