Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

More Valve Train Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Default More Valve Train Noise

08 FLHX
Andrews 48H
Johnson Hi Lift lifters
SE adjustables
Rock Outs
I've been all over the map chasing some valve train noise. It isn't excessive (sewing machine) and really only annoys me at about 3000 RPM.
Above and below the noise is *almost* inaudible.

I have adjusted the pushrods from the manufacturers recommended .104 to .145 and several increments in between with .104 actually being the quietest.
I'm sure I'm being obsessive as this is my first bike with a fairing and every little tap and squeak bounces off it. None the less, it diminishes my enjoyment of my riding time.
I have eliminated the possibility of a rod hitting a tube after 2 rounds of reaming (clean tubes with no marks what so ever on this tear down )and I have manipulated the tubes @3000 RPM with no change in the noise.
I decided to have a look at the lifters today as that is less invasive than pulling the rockers (again)

I didn't really find anything alarming that would lead me to a cause of the noise but here are a couple of pics so I can get an opinion from the experts here.

I did take a look at the stock lifters and the minor marks on the lifter skirt are present on those as well.
The line on the roller is only presentry on front exhaust lifter.
Any ideas?
Pull the rockers and have a look at the shafts again?
I did not note any witness marks when I installed the Rockouts.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:38 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

If you have a youtube account post a video with camera one foot away at one cylinder for 20 sec then the other.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
If you have a youtube account post a video with camera one foot away at one cylinder for 20 sec then the other.
Thanks Dave, I'll try that when I get it back together.
I'm considering re installing the stock B lifters (17k) on them) just to eliminate it being a noisy lifter.
Otherwise I'm lookin at pulling the rockers.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Seems like you've already done plenty of labor in locating it without change. Some cams and/or lifters can have a ticky rpm area so could be normal operation. Or a different aftermarket lifter may be quieter. Video could help someone chime in on a fix if it's still there.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 AM
TBagger
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm right there myself. I get a fluttering in the low RPM's as well. Rock outs installed, SE adjustable PR's, opened up the tops of the tubes, and still there. When I opened up the tubes the noise seemed better, almost like it was not transmitting up the tubes anymore. The next step based on advise here was to get a better set of lifters. But for the $250 bones for a set of S&S, I'll have to wait on that one for a bit. Good luck and post up the fix, if you find it !

Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

My M8 is a rattle box and I hate it. It had out of spec cylinders and a oil pump issue. Dealer rebuilt it after HD voided the warranty because of the FP3. They also installed the a HD TQ kit I had bought for it. Motor rebuilt from the cam chest up. The new cam, bearing, lifters, pushrods, tubes, jugs, pistons, rigs, heads,,, yada. And the POS just rattles away.

I've been into it. No rubbing on the tubes, the lifters and cam look good. The oil pressure is good 14 psi idle, 34 psi at 2000 rpm, bypass valve working good with engine fully warmed up. The dealer did have the pushrods set to spec at 2.5 turns. I set them at 3 turns and the same noise.

OP good luck with yours. I may take a 50 BMG to mine. Thrid New Harley, Third Junker.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain

Never done this before

Hope it works.
I put the b lifters back in. Noise is about the same.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I installed rockouts, mine is really quite now except for a tick at low rpm/low throttle setting; like when your putting through a 25 mph zone. I think it's injector ticking. Noise goes away as soon as I shut the throttle down completely or twist it on more than about 10%. Maybe what you're hearing?

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 02:20 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I wish my junker M8 sounded that good.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

One of the quieter ones I've heard. You ought to hear mine.

I'd go ride and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: More Valve Train Noise