General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Bluestraveler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking Advice

This is my first post and I realize I might get laughed off this site, but I am sincerely seeking some advice. I am in the process of buying my first motorcycle/Harley. I live in Minnesota and plan on doing some trips out west this fall and next year, in addition to riding in Minnesota/Wisconsin. I would likely trailer the bike when I go out west.

I am leaning towards purchasing a Softail Heritage Classic. I like the look, feel, and fit. I also think this will be plenty comfortable for the type of riding that I plan on doing -- based largely on what sales people at several dealerships have told me.

Any suggestions for a first time buyer? Is the Heritage Classic a bad way to go?

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Nothing wrong with a heritage if that's your style of bike. They all have similar motors and the same trans. It's entirely up to you and the comfort you want to have while you ride. I myself wouldn't buy one but that's me. I'll stick with the Shark.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and buy it. Another way is if a dealership has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

If this is your first motorcycle...I'd buy something else for my first bike. Chances are better than not that this bike will be dropped at some point. I'd suggest a cheap "learner" bike. You might discover that you don't really like riding and it's better to take the smaller hit from reselling a cheap used bike than a new(er) Harley. If you do have riding experience, then you've picked out a fine motorcycle, I hope you have many happy miles on it!

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,746 Likes on 6,192 Posts

This is 2017...Pick the one that looks the best on a trailer.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Bluetraveler - don't be offended by the "put down" comments some folks love to post.
If you need/want to trailer a bike for whatever reason, do it.
I've never ridden a Heritage, but if you have, and you like it, it should do for you. Personally, I prefer a bike that handle a bit better on twisty roads, not that the Heritage won't handle just fine.
Hope you enjoy your trip, and be safe.

Bluestraveler (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Tnmountainrider
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that the heritage classic is a great bike. Low center of gravity, easy to maneuver in tight spots.

Redlegvzv (07-23-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Welcome to the forum from The Middle of Texas You will find that Education cost whether you get it out of a University or off the streets, and what I mean by that is "it is a whole lot cheaper to make mistakes learning to ride on a honda, than a Harley. Now If you have already had the Riders Safety Course, or you have been riding far a while, then go for it. Just remember Harley parts and paint isn't cheap.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

All the softails are the same bike, more or less, with different levels of doo-daddery. HSC is a great bike. Buy what you like, **** what anyone else thinks. You're the one that will be riding it and looking at it every day.

Everyone says buy a cheap bike for your first one because it's apparently written in stone that you'll drop it. We'll I'm 5 bikes in and haven't dropped a bike yet. Be careful and definitely take the MSF class. It's fun, very informative, and gives you a bit of practice on a cheapo bike that ain't yours and no one cares if you drop.

Ignore the douche making trailer jokes. Some people work for a living and can't take a month off to ride across country. I live in MA and work a 9-5. I'd LOVE to take 2 months off and ride to the left coast and back but that's impossible for me. If I ever want to ride my bike in Cali or Arizona or Oregon or whatever, I'm going to have to transport it there. Maybe I'll hit the lotto one day, quit my day job and ride cross country.

Softails kind of suck on twisty roads. They have almost no lean angle. I ride one (fatboy S) and love it, but some days, If I'm being honest, I miss being able to really dig into a corner like I used to on my Ducati. If that's going to be a problem for you, maybe consider a Dyna or touring model (or non HD altogether, though try telling one of those state troopers on a touring model that HDs can't corner!)

Harleys are HEAVY. That can be unwieldy for a first time rider, but if you're careful you'll be fine. It takes some getting used to though.

I might be in the minority on this one, but I think ANY bike can be a good first bike whether it's an old low displacement beater or a heavy v twin or a full **** litre bike. It's all about the rider not being a retard, riding only within his abilities, and getting lots of practice.

The following 6 users liked this post by jhblaze1:
Bluestraveler (07-19-2017), BobbyJones (07-20-2017), Don-T (07-22-2017), Redlegvzv (07-23-2017), rgk (07-21-2017), Wraith04 (07-22-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I think the heritage is a great choice for a first bike, nice center of gravity and foot placement when stopped. The only downside IMO are the soft saddle bags that sag after time. I say go for it and have a blast.

rk classic.

The following 2 users liked this post by RK_Classic:
Bluestraveler (07-19-2017), Redlegvzv (07-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice