Sponsored by:

Another decat......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another decat......

I asked about power gains or loss in a different post and pretty much everyone said nothing to gain. Does anyone have proof from a wideband of back to back cat and decat on the air fuel ratio? I bought a take off head pipe and still want to get rid of the cat. I've seen other posts about it. Some said gets richer, some get leaner but no proof from a wideband or dyno. If the information is out there I haven't found it.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:20 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

I can not answer your question but I have a friend who decatted his pipe and installed Cobra NH slip ons and tuned with a power vision and the damn thing halls *****.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Dave
I asked about power gains or loss in a different post and pretty much everyone said nothing to gain. Does anyone have proof from a wideband of back to back cat and decat on the air fuel ratio? I bought a take off head pipe and still want to get rid of the cat. I've seen other posts about it. Some said gets richer, some get leaner but no proof from a wideband or dyno. If the information is out there I haven't found it.
If you look at fuelmoto dyno charts they show a gain with the catless headpipe but nothing you'd ever feel. Less heat and better sound made it worthwhile for me.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I couldn't find one for just removing the cat. I'm not worried about a power gain. Just want to help it run cooler. I want to make sure the air fuel ratio doesn't go lean.

Originally Posted by davewear
If you look at fuelmoto dyno charts they show a gain with the catless headpipe but nothing you'd ever feel. Less heat and better sound made it worthwhile for me.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I couldn't find one for just removing the cat. I'm not worried about a power gain. Just want to help it run cooler. I want to make sure the air fuel ratio doesn't go lean.
There to lean from the factory.... stock.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

It definitely runs cooler and as far as the AFR going lean, that's where a good tuner comes in.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Catless headpipe on its own prol won't make much difference to the heat. You have to add a little fuel. HD tuner is still EPA compliant so go with an aftermarket tuner and risk your drivetrain warranty while running better and cooler or stick with EPA....

Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Hope this doesn't turn into another warranty thread!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

A good tune will cool it down better than removing the cat and increasing airflow without appropriate recalibration of the fueling.
It should/would run fine (albeit lean as delivered) at cruise due to the O2 sensors. What the system can't do is compensate in the high load/rpm areas. Those areas do not use the O2 sensors to trim fuel so logically it must run leaner/hotter.
Bob

Old 07-21-2017, 12:10 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
^^^Yep!^^^

Quick Reply: Another decat......