Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Compensator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Loose Compensator?

Checked multiple threads, Google and YouTube. Now I ask. Been thinking I've had a loose compensator nut for months now. I get a decent knocking at idle. Turned up the idle speed a wee bit and it's not as drastic, but still there. This past weekend, while on a road trip it got noisy as hell. Not only knocking, but sqealing a little every now and then. Just kinda came and went. definitely more prevalent on the left side of the bike. I have my primary off in the garage currently and can't physically feel anything loose. Should I? All the fixes I'm seeing involve breaking the nut loose and re loc-titing it to torque specs, but if it was "loose" why should I need a breaker bar? There's currently no wiggle. What's loose then?

05 FXST, btw

Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM
campsite21
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loosen the primary chain tensioner and check clutch hub bearing by putting your left hand at 9 o'clock and right hand at 3 o'clock, and rock it with an in and out, left to right motion. Of course the neg. Side of battery should be disconnected and you should have a manual for your year modal. Basically you are checking the condition of the clutch hub bearing and or output shaft bearing if there is wear. Also, look at the primary chain adjuster shoe, for excessive wear. Was the tensioner properly adjusted? To prevent chain slap on the inner primary. If not properly adjusted the upper part in the inner primary can "Slap" and the chain will rub a grove in the aluminum.

Last edited by campsite21; 07-26-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

Yeah the tensioner is properly adjusted. I did that a couple thousand miles ago when I first tried to diagnose this problem. Got rid of an excess 1/2" of play past spec. Another symptom to mention, is I feel a distinct thud when rolling off and on the throttle, unless I'm feathering it

Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

Oh, and there's no metal shavings in the primary

Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
campsite21
6th Gear

When you say "1/2 past spec. I'm not sure I understand.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

Oh, I just meant that it's supposed to have between 5/8" and 7/8" play in it and mine had almost an inch and a 1/4 at the time

Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM
campsite21
6th Gear

Ok,
We're you able to loosen the tensioner to check the clutch hub bearing?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

Yeah I did it, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. It moves back in forth slightly. Not much wear on the shoe for 30k miles, I don't reckon

Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

There was a TSB for loose compensators/nuts that covered 2003-2005 models. The switch to left side roller crank bearings apparently created the problem. HD's fix was an .090" shim under the nut because it bottomed out on the crank shoulder, not the compensator. Most folks I know milled .030" of the end of the nut. Clean the threads, red loctite and torque 160 ft pounds if I remember right.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I've heard a similar loud whine noise twice. First time, not as bad. Second was a bit alarming.
Ride hard but no drag starts and no but n out here with 22k mi
Using specific lube weights with AMSoil in all three holes, but did have an INDY swap out my front and rear pulleys. Qurious where this thread goes.

Quick Reply: Loose Compensator?