Sponsored by:

Stupid Question About EITMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Stupid Question About EITMS

Question on the EITMS. I had turned my EITMS off and hadn't had back on for a while. Had bike at dealer for oil light and they installed the oil sensor which solved the problem. While it was there there did an update on it.

When i got it back the EITMS was enabled which was no big deal. But it doesn't come on at a light unless the bike is in neutral now with the clutch pulled. If in gear it won't come on. I thought it used to come on at a light with bike in gear. But has been since early this year that i turned it off. Didn't want to act dump and say something to dealer about this.

Any input?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

No it should come on when in gear. I'd take it back. Somethings not quite right.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
No it should come on when in gear. I'd take it back. Somethings not quite right.
That's what i thought but wasn't sure. Thanks

Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Should I have that enabled? I have an ultra limited and thought with the liquid cooling it was kind of a mute point.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Should I have that enabled? I have an ultra limited and thought with the liquid cooling it was kind of a mute point.
"Should"? Well maybe not -should-. But it is a function that they have added to the bike to help with heat, particularly in the rear cylinder. According to the posts here many people live well enough without it. Many disable it because they don't like the sound of the bike when it goes all thumper at a light when hot. I guess the question is, why don't you have it enabled? If you don't mind the sound, turn it on and get the benefits of the system design when your engine gets hot enough to activate it. Hate the sound, leave it off and your engine will also be just fine, IMHO, at the expense of a little heat under the thigh.

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

My bike acts just like yours. Only goes into thumper mode if the bike is in neutral. Mine doesn't seem to care if the clutch is in or out. Gotta be in neutral. I can pull in the clutch in in neutral and nothing happens until I shift into gear then it goes bike instantly returns to normal running.
Bob

Old 07-27-2017, 04:28 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

Hey Tomcat, if it's "mute" you can't hear it, change the mufflers, if it's "moot" it doesn't matter but, I'm pretty sure it does. 😉
My '17 Street Glide, EITMS activates when ambient temperature is above 75F in gear.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:31 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasher
Hey Tomcat, if it's "mute" you can't hear it, change the mufflers, if it's "moot" it doesn't matter but, I'm pretty sure it does. ��
My '17 Street Glide, EITMS activates when ambient temperature is above 75F in gear.
Look at me and my silly feaux pas.... I will enable it and see what happens. It came from the factory disabled. I will turn it on and feel the lack of heat... which I havent had a problem with....... Guess its a moot point.

Last edited by TomcatCV62; 07-27-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Look at me and my silly feaux pas.... I will enable it and see what happens. It came from the factory disabled. I will turn it on and feel the lack of heat... which I havent had a problem with....... Guess its a moot point.
since its inception the EITMS default setting was enabled, until earlier this year they announced as part of a TSB new bikes will ship Disabled and for the dealerships to go over it with the customer to allow them to decide

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-27-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
since its inception the EITMS default setting was enabled, until earlier this year they announced as part of a TSB new bikes will ship Disabled and for the dealerships to go over it with the customer to allow them to decide
Yeah mine...bought a little over a month ago...by default was disabled. The salesman did go over what it was, but didnt tell me how to enable it. Had to read in the manual, and only after seeing it mentioned here in another post.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question About EITMS