Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch slipping after oil changes

Old 07-28-2017, 08:16 AM
danaVT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping after oil changes

I have a 2011 ultra with 16K miles. Dealer did a three hole oil change. Amsoil in the motor, redline and HD formula plus. When I got the bike back, clutch was slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th. They adjusted it 3 times out to a full turn. Still some limited slip in 5th. Its at the dealer having an exploratory on the clutch basket. What do you think? I bought used and don't know if the primary or transmission oil was ever changed before. Grrrrr. First week with no rain and I am without Sophie. SO far had 4200 miles this year with no issues.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

My question to any HD techs out there is, how do you adjust the clutch pack on a warm engine? The service manual warns and cautions against this. The manuals call for a cold engine/primary. You should learn or watch the videos on how to this at home on your bike. When I adjust mine the rod is turned 1/2 to 3/4 turns.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

/\ /\ /\ what he said...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Im venturing to guess, they put the wrong fluid in the primary. Of course if the primary was never changed (and youre assuming) in 16k, could have caused this by the flushing out of all the debris and now the plates dont have enough to grab properly. Oh the perils of buying used.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:33 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by danaVT
I have a 2011 ultra with 16K miles. Dealer did a three hole oil change. Amsoil in the motor, redline and HD formula plus. When I got the bike back, clutch was slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th. They adjusted it 3 times out to a full turn. Still some limited slip in 5th. Its at the dealer having an exploratory on the clutch basket. What do you think? I bought used and don't know if the primary or transmission oil was ever changed before. Grrrrr. First week with no rain and I am without Sophie. SO far had 4200 miles this year with no issues.
Does the bike have any mods? Stage 1, 2, etc? Do you know if the clutch is stock? Have you ever had the fluids changed before? Have you ever had the clutch adjusted before?
Formula+ is the correct fluid for a stock clutch and some aftermarket clutches.
It's not usaul for a clutch to need adjustment after a fluid change just because of the change but it's not unheard of. Clutches, like fluids, do need periodic maintaince.
Adjusting the clutch is not too difficult but there is a set procedure that must be followed. First the bike must be cold. Clutch cable must be completely loose. Then clutch pack adjusted. Ramp and ball seated. And the clutch cable adjusted with the correct free play. Check the service manual or youtube for complete instructions.
I would think that an unabused clutch with no history of slipping would not be worn out at 16k miles. Id think that if the slippage cannot be adjusted out that a stouter spring would cure any slipping that might remain.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:49 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

If the primary was never changed and the clutch was never adjusted, the plates could be burned. They would have noticed this and I am sure they would have noted it on the work order.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I don't like Formula + in the Primary case. IMO, it's too thick for good clutch operation. I ran Syn3 in all 3 for 50K miles with no problems, and now run Mobil1 10-40T.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I don't like Formula + in the Primary case. IMO, it's too thick for good clutch operation. I ran Syn3 in all 3 for 50K miles with no problems, and now run Mobil1 10-40T.
Which fluids to use is a whole different discussion.
HD does reccomend Formula+ for the primary as do some aftermarket clutches like my Energy One Kevlar+1 set up.
Wether it's your choice or not doesn't make it, as someone said, the "wrong" fluid.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

My 2013 FLTRU owners manual recommends Formula+ or Syn 3 oils. I've used M1 V-Twin in the primaries of all three of my bikes with no problems, but I've also stayed on top of my fluid changes and clutch adjustments.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:31 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd check the following:

Free play at the lever:. Should have about the width of between a dime and nickel.
Fluid level:. If you open the cover and shine a flashlight inside as long as you can see some fluid in the bottom it's fine. My suspicion is that it has too much.

My 2009 has 80k on the original clutch and I just finished up the service this morning. I've been running synthetic 20/50 oil in all three holes.

I typically do my own service work as I did today. Occasionally I'll take it in. It never fails that I find something done poorly or wrong on the next service I do from the prior shops work. Tape on the drain plug threads, a stripped screw head... Today I found a missing washer on one screw on my derby cover and some sort or thread sealant on the drain plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch slipping after oil changes