Oil Leak, again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,682 Likes on 4,485 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Let you tell it.

Just like your ever moving line on stage 1 upgrades, I'd wait to pass judgement once it does start happening to you... because then it will be "real" - to you.
well after 1 year and 4 Seasons with over 13000 miles from stock to Stage 1 I don't expect a change at this point..not sure what "ever moving line on stage 1 upgrades" means..been a consistent proponent of SE Stage 1 and dyno tuning because I got outstanding results

Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I received a call today from my mechanic at the dealership. The rocker box cover gasket was wet and leaking. HD has updated the new gaskets and shipped them Monday. I might have the bike Saturday.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,756 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well after 1 year and 4 Seasons with over 13000 miles from stock to Stage 1 I don't expect a change at this point..not sure what "ever moving line on stage 1 upgrades" means..been a consistent proponent of SE Stage 1 and dyno tuning because I got outstanding results

Point is, throughout the year your opinion evolved. You started out touting to keep it completely stock - bike needs nothing, M8 is the bestest ever.
Later, stage 1 was worth it, but not a dyno, no... that would be a waste of money - HD got it right with this canned map.
Later you dyno'd and suddenly the dyno was worth it... (and it was)

It's no big deal, people do that all the time when they get some seat time and want more. My point is, the vent blowby deal is like that.
If you don't have blowby/venting presently, the mod may not be worth it. However, time may go by and it suddenly becomes warranted because you're getting blowby due to worn components etc.
Some people's bikes have massive blowby right out of the box for whatever reason - for them the mod is worth it.

Just saying, try to keep an open mind is all. Just because something is not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening to others. Example: look at the trans/oil transfer thread.

100 million thousand miles, the most tested Harley engine ever. Nothing could ever go wrong. I remember someone falling for that.

I know you've seen this before, but this used to be all over my air cleaner and down the side of my bike. Not anymore!

Last edited by lp; 09-13-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,148 Likes on 3,353 Posts

If a bike doesn't get oil in the airbox, no need to mess with anything. For me it was a case of not wanting shmegma building up at the throttle body and beyond. Whether from oily vapors or in liquid form. Just didn't want it. In my case it's a few drops per ride on the exhaust. A few too much. And one that a simple, free, reversible mod eliminated.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Oil or no oil, hot dirty air is not your motor's friend. External venting solves that. Blowby is an additional reason to take the measure that varies by motor, use, and fill level...the hot dirty air is more or less a constant. I may elect to not bother this time with the slightly improved running condition of an external vent, but I have no doubts there is a benefit to the motor operationally in doing so. If I have blowby additionally the benefit only increases.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,682 Likes on 4,485 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Point is, throughout the year your opinion evolved. You started out touting to keep it completely stock - bike needs nothing, M8 is the bestest ever.
Later, stage 1 was worth it, but not a dyno, no... that would be a waste of money - HD got it right with this canned map.
Later you dyno'd and suddenly the dyno was worth it... (and it was)

It's no big deal, people do that all the time when they get some seat time and want more. My point is, the vent blowby deal is like that.
If you don't have blowby/venting presently, the mod may not be worth it. However, time may go by and it suddenly becomes warranted because you're getting blowby due to worn components etc.
Some people's bikes have massive blowby right out of the box for whatever reason - for them the mod is worth it.

Just saying, try to keep an open mind is all. Just because something is not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening to others. Example: look at the trans/oil transfer thread.

100 million thousand miles, the most tested Harley engine ever. Nothing could ever go wrong. I remember someone falling for that.

I know you've seen this before, but this used to be all over my air cleaner and down the side of my bike. Not anymore!

thank God I stopped at Stage 1

Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM
prowler58
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mjwebb
thank God I stopped at Stage 1
Ha that's Classic MIKE !! I only want a stage 2 !!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Ip, what is that exactly..... not sure what I'm looking at? Oh, is that a catch can of sorts and a sponge to get the oil out of it?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,756 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Ip, what is that exactly..... not sure what I'm looking at? Oh, is that a catch can of sorts and a sponge to get the oil out of it?
It's a catch can that stays in the bottom of an OEM air cleaner.

The sponge is inserted into the catch can to catch the mist. I lifted the sponge out to show how much gunk it collected.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
It's a catch can that stays in the bottom of an OEM air cleaner.

The sponge is inserted into the catch can to catch the mist. I lifted the sponge out to show how much gunk it collected.
Wow......I've never checked mine but I never see any oil where it's not supposed to be......

Quick Reply: Oil Leak, again...