Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

$220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
Default $220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"

I was ready to shell out $220 for the reusable filter but K&N offered no efficiency specs for the item.

I called, "technical support"; spoke with a young women that instilled ZERO confidence in me that she knew anything about the product.

Long story short...NO SPECS AVAILABLE!

"Our products meet OEM Specs" is all she could come up with...geesh? really...$220 for an oil filter and that's all you can brag about...you "meet OEM specs"?

~~~~~~~~~~~

K&P Engineering just gained a new customer...good read on oil filters...Harleys 5 micron filter actually passes 40 micron particles...yeah, it will catch 5 micron, but they won't tell you at what efficiency...lol.

http://kandpengineering.com/primer-on-filtration/

Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Which K&N oil filter costs $220???

Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Geeze, that's a lot of cash for what that is. That's what, 22 years of buying a new filter? ( That's what I'd be spending anyway.) Is it warrantied for life ? How much longer am I going to live ?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by J F GO
Geeze, that's a lot of cash for what that is. That's what, 22 years of buying a new filter? ( That's what I'd be spending anyway.) Is it warrantied for life ? How much longer am I going to live ?
Stainless steel mesh microscreen that will last longer than the bike. It may also fit your next bike, so you can take it with you. If it doesn't fit your next bike, you can easily sell it...it never wears out...so offer it up for $150 on ebay and sold!

Much better than a paper filter; oil runs through it like water and you can clean it as often as you see the need.

The microscreen will catch much smaller particles than a paper filter. The K&P unit will grab 5 micron specs but is rated most efficient at 35 micron which beats out the Harley paper filter that scored it's highest efficiency at 40 microns.

It's worth the money if you really love your machine and intend to rides lots of miles...a $220 oil filter today can save $1000's in future repairs.

Even though a synthetic oil can run 5000 to 15000 miles and still be "good"...it will be DIRTY!...and that dirt is what does the damage...with this filter, you can remove that dirt and run the oil to the end of it's life.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 09-19-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

K&N is just rebranding these. Contact the people who actually make them. JFGO makes a good point about how many regular filters you can buy for what this costs.

https://shop.gopurepower.com/pure-po...rt-pp8110.html

Old 09-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
It's worth the money if you really love your machine and intend to rides lots of miles...a $220 oil filter today can save $1000's in future repairs.
Sounds like you've latched on to this one hook, line, and sinker. I think changing your oil and filter every 3,000-5,000 miles will get you just as far. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cousy
Sounds like you've latched on to this one hook, line, and sinker. I think changing your oil and filter every 3,000-5,000 miles will get you just as far. Good luck.
Why do you only go 3000 miles between changes? The oil itself will be good way past 5000 miles...why not leave it in for 10000 miles...what are you worried about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 reasons we change oil
:

1. It literally wears out...but that takes 5000 to 15000 miles.

2. It gets dirty...starts getting dirty the first time you start the bike and only gets worse from that point on.

It's the dirt that wears the engine the most and by the time you hit 5000 miles with a paper filter odds are it's plugged, or mostly plugged, and the by-pass is opening and you're not filtering the oil at all.

The 5 micron Harley filter is $15 - so you can buy 15 of those for $220...but you're getting 40 micron filtration...no where near as good as the microscreen units.

Harley: Nominal rating is 5 micron, absolute is 40 micron.
Pure Power: Nominal rating is less than 1 micron, absolute is 22 micron.

The Harley filter is like a window screen compared to the pure power unit; you're not catching anything below 5 micron...and very little above that until you hit 40 micron.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The aircraft industry uses these filters...now, why would they do that?

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 09-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I personally see no real reason to pay $220 for an oil filter. I've been running a reusable oil filter from Flo Filters that cost a whole lot less but to each their own.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I personally see no real reason to pay $220 for an oil filter. I've been running a reusable oil filter from Flo Filters that cost a whole lot less but to each their own.
I'm still researching these, but what I've found so far is that those Flo units are cheap knockoffs with micron catch sizes worse than cheap paper filters. Go to their website and there is no technical, geeky, data on their product. Doesn't say where they're made or who made them...just a low price on something that looks just like something else costing 50-100% more. I'm going to contact and ask where they're made and for some real testing results...not just great looking numbers on a low grade website.

Quick Reply: $220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"