Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar problem

I submitted a request to CD tonight, but thought I'd ask here as well. Today my brake lights on my CD LED Tri-Bar stopped working. The running light is fine. Unplugged both connectors and they looked clean as a whistle, plugged back together and no workie.
Tri-Bar light was new in April. The other CD Brake/Turn/Running round lights work fine.
Is there some way to test? I fear that BCM is way above my electrical skills.

(USA SGS 2014) all was good when installed 5 moths ago. Very minimal wet road riding. (20 miles at the most this season)

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 09-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

To the best of my knowledge the your stock tail lights are fed straight through the cd tribar,so it is highly unlikely you have a BCM problem.Likely an internal issue with your cd tribar.Can you see any water in it?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Originally Posted by dansflhti
To the best of my knowledge the your stock tail lights are fed straight through the cd tribar,so it is highly unlikely you have a BCM problem.Likely an internal issue with your cd tribar.Can you see any water in it?
Thanks!
No water visible. Got in touch of CD today. They want me to unplug their light and plug in my OE. to see if it works properly. I explained that my CD running light works fine but not the brake?? I'll try it tonight but not sure why?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:29 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Thanks!
No water visible. Got in touch of CD today. They want me to unplug their light and plug in my OE. to see if it works properly. I explained that my CD running light works fine but not the brake?? I'll try it tonight but not sure why?
If you plug in your old light and everything works fine,that will indicate there is a problem with their light.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Originally Posted by dansflhti
If you plug in your old light and everything works fine,that will indicate there is a problem with their light.
Thanks, OE works normally (running lights only).
Now I can't find my receipt from purchase. Thie tri-bar LED is the only CD module that I didn't buy directly from CD.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I had both my CD turn signals replaced without a receipt. Just had to email them a picture of them with some of the LEDs not lit

Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Got in touch with Larry at CD today. He told me which hot pin lead to test for brake light voltage. BCM power source appears to be fine. No bent pins either. Sending the unit back to them in the morning. He said they try to repair the components and ship back the same day they receive from the customer. I guess if they can't fix it they will send out a new module.
Not sure what a person would do if they are unable to wrench and test to some degree?
Not crazy about CD repairing, opposed to just replacing, but in the end if it gets fixed and stays fixed, all good I guess.

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 09-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 AM
bjmcconk
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 3 LED bulbs go out on the White Ring of my RINGZ. Just took a pic and they sent out new ones. I think it would depend on issue. I buy direct from them though too. They keep my information on file so i dont have to worry about a receipt. Great Customer Service. I even got bike of the week on their Facebook page.

The following users liked this post:
COZWV (12-20-2023)
Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Update..... as mentioned sent the tribar back after verifying brake light and running light power sources were good to the CD Ti-Bar, also no bent pins in the tri-bar light. Only running will work, no brake light from the CD unit.
Got a message back from CD saying they are unable to duplicate my problem. ( I guess that means both lighting circuits are working in the unit on their test bench?)
Don't know what to do at this point. Guess I'll just leave in OE tri-bar unit, and write off the lifetime warranty of CD as smoke and mirrors.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:53 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

Do your brake lights work correctly with the OE unit installed?

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics Tri-Bar problem