EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 Heritage suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
coolbrz64
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Heritage suspension issues

Hi all....first off I'm sure some of this info is already in threads but I don't have a month or 2 to search them all so....looking for ideas and advice. I am a 20+ yr veteran of riding but am on my first Harley. My 98 Heritage Classic has been modded a little and lowered. I like the look but I'm too heavy (I think, 6' 250#) for the lowered suspension. First, the rear shocks are shot to begin with and I am looking where to turn.

I live in NC, I am an aggressive rider due to my old days on crotch rockets and ride mountain territory almost always therefore I have lean angle and grinding issues. I grind the lower pipe, floor boards, bottom out frame on humps and dips in the road....sometimes when entering a bridge, those small humps between the asphalt and concrete just slam my frame.....I am tired of all this and looking for advice on suspension changes. I understand my bike isn't quite made for my riding style but I like it and plan on keeping it and can't afford a 2nd bike. My lower pipe is about 1/3 closed from dragging and I have actually picked the rear wheel up off the road from leaning in too hard.....yes, makes you pucker a little.

I am curious about different shock attributes and what all everyone has done in similar circumstances. Factory shocks raised to max height? Progressive shocks to "hold" the ride height better? Air shocks? What y'all got?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Shocks are a popular subject all around HDF, but I confess not noticing many options for softails. It may be worth visiting the Softail section to take a look, all quiet like, to see what they know over there.

Forks are easier and there are options from simply replacing the stock springs with say Race Tech single-rate, matched to your weight. Installing them and setting sag correct may lift the front a little and should improve ride quality. There are several brands of cartridge inserts available, to give further improved ride comfort.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I like my 422 Progressive shocks and springs but Prot has made a good case for Ohlin shocks.
As for springs the only ones I've used so far is the Progressive.
Here are the springs I use
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ork-spring-kit

Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I'm running the same stuff as Texhillcountry and I can vouch for Progressive.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

It's Works Performance that I advocate for Softail shocks. They can be rebuilt either by works or by purchasing a rebuild kit.

I went through two or three sets of progressive 422's and needed to do something else and didn't want the complexity of air suspension.

I set mine to slightly taller than stock height and the floorboard grinding stopped. Handling also improved around curves.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:31 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Prot
It's Works Performance that I advocate for Softail shocks. They can be rebuilt either by works or by purchasing a rebuild kit.

I went through two or three sets of progressive 422's and needed to do something else and didn't want the complexity of air suspension.

I set mine to slightly taller than stock height and the floorboard grinding stopped. Handling also improved around curves.
Sorry about that.
For some reason my tiny mind was thinking you said Ohlins but once again (as usual) it was wrong.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Sorry about that.
For some reason my tiny mind was thinking you said Ohlins but once again (as usual) it was wrong.
Mr. Brown advocates Ohlins forks and their shocks for FXR's Dyna's and touring bikes.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Prot
Mr. Brown advocates Ohlins forks and their shocks for FXR's Dyna's and touring bikes.
That's probably where I got it then.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Panheader
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Shotgun air shocks, expensive but adjustable in height and ride with the flip of switches. I've had mine for 3 years and they've been great. I ride with them soft like a 70s caddy in town and pump them up when I hit the curves. Best of both worlds imo.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:18 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I have a set of stock HD softail shocks with the height adjustable mod...they only have 20K on them...you can have them for $40 shipped.

Stock hd shocks are adjustable for preload for the rider's weight. it's a pain to adjust but it might help.

I might try progressive or air ride....the $1500 cost of air ride means it will have to be in a year or two. I don't know if it's worth dropping 4-6 hundred on progressive shocks an the improvement not be that noticeable an just wait until I can afford air ride. I'd like to ride a softail with the progressive an air ride to compare.

Quick Reply: 98 Heritage suspension issues